steps taken for a clean pc

bruinator

Hi Guys, I was just wondering what steps you take to keep your PC's running smooth, fast, virus and malware free whether it is on a daily, weekly, monthly to yearly basis. Please write done all steps even if it is from command line or software.

I greatly appreciate it.

thx

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My suggestion:

1. clean install Windows 10 pro 64-bit latest version, update it and run DWS

2. download and Install each hardware's latest driver so there won't be any compatibility issues.

3. Install Kaspersky Internet security (or bitdeffender as you already have it), update it and do full scan regularly.

4. use CCleaner regularly. 

5. if you use Chrome install "ublock origin" extension, sites will load faster :)

i don't know if my pc is "clean", but here's my related software for this job on Win 10 x64:

• Windows Firewall managed through WFC
  • Windows Defender
  • Process Lasso Pro
  • AdGuard
  • HostsMan for MVPS Hosts file
  • weekly use of CCleaner or Privacy Eraser Free
  • Privacy Badger addon for Firefox and Chrome

1 hour ago, Recruit said:

3. Then, I installed the security & privacy apps. . Usually I am using these apps.

- Kaspersky Internet Security
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
- Adguard
- Windows 10 Firewall Control ( with that you can control the access to internet for every app. from your system ).

Maybe here it's a problem for me, so your apps is redundant for me: Kaspersky Internet Security and Windows 10 Firewall Control. Boths can to do the same work.

Here I prefer Kaspersky Internet Security why it's best.

Hi @bruinatoryou don't need to be a paranoic for to have installed too many security apps, my specs is:
- ESET Smart Security

- Adguard

I don't use Destroy Windows Spying why ESET Smart Security can to doit much better. Other problem with DWS is that this app can break your system if you have a LAN.

For to have clean the harddisk (if you don't have a SSD) I use UnCleaner, System Ninja and CCleaner, in this order.

1 hour ago, jbleck said:

i don't know if my pc is "clean", but here's my related software for this job on Win 10 x64:

• Windows Firewall managed through WFC
  • Windows Defender
  • Process Lasso Pro
  • AdGuard
  • HostsMan for MVPS Hosts file
  • weekly use of CCleaner or Privacy Eraser Free
  • Privacy Badger addon for Firefox and Chrome

Hi @jbleck if you have installed AdGuard then why use HostsMan, it's redundant.

34 minutes ago, LOQUILLO said:

if you have installed AdGuard then why use HostsMan, it's redundant.

i only use HostsMan to get the updates from mvps.org... i close it after (no system tray).

i haven't had problems because of the custom hosts file yet... when that will happen i'll start looking for alternatives.

it's just another layer of security which i find essential... some might think it's useless... i failed to understand why thus far (not convinced with the circumvent tricks as this is valid for any other layer of security).

24 minutes ago, jbleck said:

i only use HostsMan to get the updates from mvps.org... i close it after (no system tray).

i haven't had problems because of the custom hosts file yet... when that will happen i'll start looking for alternatives.

it's just another layer of security which i find essential... some might think it's useless... i failed to understand why thus far (not convinced with the circumvent tricks as this is valid for any other layer of security).

Mine is working very good, I don't need add entries to host file, it's unnecessary if I'm using AdGuard, the only entries in host file is block to specific domains for check license of some programs such as IDM, Adobe Suite and others.

If you are a paranoic will install many security apps, later theses will slow your system

25 minutes ago, LOQUILLO said:

Mine is working very good, I don't need add entries to host file, it's unnecessary if I'm using AdGuard, the only entries in host file is block to specific domains for check license of some programs such as IDM, Adobe Suite and others.

If you are a paranoic will install many security apps, later theses will slow your system

later i'll clean install windows again.. it's either when the system gets heavy or when i get bored (at least 4 times/year).

i haven't said that the way i do it is the only way and i believe u when u say that yours is working very well...

a clean pc = clean registry + minimum of processes loaded in memory + enough disk space for the system & operations

some recommandations regardless of the system you use:

- use a sandbox or even better a vm that will prevent your system from bloatware

- save your most important data to another partition/hdd. files will be safe (in bad scenarios) & you don't supercharge the system partition

- compress all the data you don't use everyday. windows can handle big files way better than dealing with thousands of tiny files

- install only apps you need & prefer programs whitch don't install services & extra processes

- while installing a program, always use advanced options to install only features you need & prevent it from installing extra addons and/or adds

- use cleaners & uninstallers on a regulary basis to eliminate leftovers

if you install/uninstall a lot of programs, then even if you use cleaners & uninstallers, windows will gets out of breath sooner or later

reinstall windows or restore a system backup regulary is a must to recover all the system health/power

if you suspect a virus or spyware that slows pc / laptop
It is best to make a log of special programs I use HijackThis
1. donload here 
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/files/latest/download

2. On The system disk you create a folder HijackThis downloaded file to put in this folder
run HijackThis program window and click on Do a system scan and save a logfile and wait ...
3. After a while it pops up Notepad dump HJT. This extract copy (CTRL + A and CTRL + C) and paste it (Ctrl + V) into the this topic or   
or send me in private massage 

On 10.1.2016 at 9:56 PM, jordan4x said:

- use a sandbox or even better a vm that will prevent your system from bloatware

Fully agree with that! - It's the only thing I use for years now.

A very thin and clean Win7 with VirtualBox running several machines with different OS.

The benefit is that this way I can test on a "test vm" and in case of further interest to install it on another "clean vm"

HTH

Archived