Can i use two different RAM Brands?

Phantomboxe

I recently buy a new laptop,it has only 4GB installed and i realized that i should put more ram in to it

so i could work in photoshop without any hassle. this is my current ram "Micron Tech 4GB 800MHz DDR3 (PC3-12800) 1.35V SODIMM"

I want to install this ram "Kingston Tech 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L (PC3-12800) 1.35V SODIMM"   ..so that i have 12GB.

Do you think it will work together?

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you do...

But: always use the same frequency - 800MHz or 1600Mhz -, never both at the same time, 'cause it's = unstable system.

Why you just take the Micron tech off?!... 8GB is enough...

Edit: wait a minute... Micron Tech 4GB 800MHz DDR3 (PC3-12800)

Kingston Tech 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L (PC3-12800)

Both are 1600MHz... where 800MHz in your post came from?!

10 hours ago, Phantomboxe said:

I recently buy a new laptop,it has only 4GB installed and i realized that i should put more ram in to it

so i could work in photoshop without any hassle. this is my current ram "Micron Tech 4GB 800MHz DDR3 (PC3-12800) 1.35V SODIMM"

I want to install this ram "Kingston Tech 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L (PC3-12800) 1.35V SODIMM"   ..so that i have 12GB.

Here is two things, one is voltage (it fit), and the second is operating frequency - ie since they are different, than you'll get the max operating frequency which is equal or less than the lowest of these two. Ie you'll get operating frequency, which is not higher than 800MHz.

45 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Here is two things, one is voltage (it fit), and the second is operating frequency - ie since they are different, than you'll get the max operating frequency which is equal or less than the lowest of these two. Ie you'll get operating frequency, which is not higher than 800MHz.

Sorry, but, if both are PC3-12800 they work at the same frequency, the only thing that "may" vary are timings. Please check @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM  the "JEDEC standard modules" table.

1 hour ago, Phantomboxe said:

Sure they will, but, if I were you I'd put another dimm from the same manufacturer, just in case.

Do not know what to think, but I think it should work perfectly and are not too important to the manufacturer is the same. The more, that Kingston is well known as the good maker.
Haven't heard nothing bad about Kingston. True, don't have a big experience, I have did a few times only. So far haven't had no problem.

There are a few other issues that would not allow this to work, but lets not make this a huge discussion and get right down to the answers you want:

The "Kingston Tech 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L (PC3-12800) 1.35V SODIMM" is dual channel (800Mhz x2) and so is the other stick.  They are nearly identical.

Crisis diverted -- or has it?

The DDR3 vs DDR3L issue comes into play.  The DDR3L runs at a different voltage than the DDR3 stick... this *MAY* work, but probably not -- it all depends on the BIOS of the computer in question.

Keeping same manufacturers is ideal, but not required.  SOMETIMES, the control chip on the RAM can act up when paired with another -- but its found to be the cause in less than 1% of cases.

My final answer?  Replace with DDR3 memory, *NOT* DDR3L -- if the BIOS supported it, the manufacturer would have used it initially to increase battery life.

11 minutes ago, Psycho-gHo said:

The "Kingston Tech 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L (PC3-12800) 1.35V SODIMM" is dual channel (800Mhz x2) and so is the other stick.

each stick of ram can only constitute to one memory channel. 800MHz x 2 = 1600MHz effective clock rate comes from Double Data Rate.

also since OP mentioned his current ram's spec is 1.35V, probably it is DDR3L (1.5V for DDR3)

4 hours ago, Phantomboxe said:

It should work fine...

RAM´s SPD module will do the rest...

For sure, run bootable MemTest to avoid errors or bad ram just in case...

Best Luck;)...!!!

5 hours ago, Psycho-gHo said:

There are a few other issues that would not allow this to work, but lets not make this a huge discussion and get right down to the answers you want:

The "Kingston Tech 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L (PC3-12800) 1.35V SODIMM" is dual channel (800Mhz x2) and so is the other stick.  They are nearly identical.

Crisis diverted -- or has it?

The DDR3 vs DDR3L issue comes into play.  The DDR3L runs at a different voltage than the DDR3 stick... this *MAY* work, but probably not -- it all depends on the BIOS of the computer in question.

Keeping same manufacturers is ideal, but not required.  SOMETIMES, the control chip on the RAM can act up when paired with another -- but its found to be the cause in less than 1% of cases.

My final answer?  Replace with DDR3 memory, *NOT* DDR3L -- if the BIOS supported it, the manufacturer would have used it initially to increase battery life.

I think you are probably wrong on several points...

The standard voltage for So-dimm DDR 3 is ( or should be ;) ) 1.35 V

According to the specification of the 2 ram modules, they should works both at 1.35 V @ 1600 Mhz.

So it should works ( and if works not, keep the 8 GB module and give me the 4GB one ;)

The only "problems" are the timing but I think it will works.

I have Gskill F3-12800CL8-4GBECO ( not so dimm ) on my PC and they are DDR3L.

They works at 1.35V (  XMP #1   8.0-8-8-24-34-2T @ 800 MHz (1.350 Volts) )

Unfortunately, my motherboard ( MSI Z87-gd65 gaming ) can only provide 1.3 or 1.4 V so 1.4 it is ...( and the 4*4 GB does not heat...)

On 1/6/2016 at 6:37 AM, WALLONN7 said:

Yes, you do...

But: always use the same frequency - 800MHz or 1600Mhz -, never both at the same time, 'cause it's = unstable system.

Why you just take the Micron tech off?!... 8GB is enough...

Edit: wait a minute... Micron Tech 4GB 800MHz DDR3 (PC3-12800)

Kingston Tech 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L (PC3-12800)

Both are 1600MHz... where 800MHz in your post came from?!

2016-01-07_6-49-35.png

4 hours ago, Phantomboxe said:

I've just googled your ram's part number and the spec sheet states that it is actually DDR3L (instead of plain DDR3).

The "800 MHz" reading is fine as CPU-Z shows the real clock rate instead of the doubled clock rate.

In other words, you can use the 2 rams together.

Archived