Windows 7 Pentium 4

j896

I been using windows xp black edition with the pos updates  for my home computer. I would like to format this and go with 7.  Would a Intel Pentium 4  3.00 gigahertz  2 gigs of ram run windows 7?  XP is fast on this machine.

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would run on this machine, yes.

But not as fast as you know it from win xp.

You could do some tweaks, that will go your win 7 faster.

Anyway, double your ram if it is possible, that would be a good investment.

.. from a quick search, I'm seeing 3gb or higher of Ram would be alittle better, so if you could load a extra 1gb stick would maybe ramp-up quicker; check eBay for discounted Ram.

... minimum for 32-bit is 1gb and 64-bit is 2gb. : )

48 minutes ago, myfeetstink said:

.. from a quick search, I'm seeing 3gb or higher of Ram would be alittle better, so if you could load a extra 1gb stick would maybe ramp-up quicker; check eBay for discounted Ram.

... minimum for 32-bit is 1gb and 64-bit is 2gb. : )

2 Gb for 64 bits  is nothin',check snap below (8 Gb of fast RAM notebook),just Ff is runnin' now. 4Gb for 32 bits system & at least 6Gb of RAM for 64 bit's one,this is today's reality ,imo as usually.

m5t13gx03um8.jpg

@j896 seems it's time to upgrade hardware.

nope. if you're stuck with a single core and DDR (1) ram either stay with xp or switch to a light linux distro.

trying to fit 7 in that is an exercise in futility (a.k.a: a fucking waste of time) as it will never be even remotely usable and when you inevitably throw the towel and upgrade the hardware you will have to reinstall everything anyway.

Agree with Vile; even if it is technically possible to get it running.  Suggest you reformat the old XP machine to a super-clean state then set it aside as a secure/business only browser - e.g., use it to access your bank and pay bills online.  Install Firefox & some AV & nothing else.  Browse nowhere else.   Use it until the banks refuse to connect to you (many years from now) or it just drops dead. 

I see i3 & i5 class machines on Microcenter & Frys all the time for <$300.  They'll come loaded with Win7 or 8 already.  And/or keep your ears open for a used i3/i5 class machine.  They come off lease all the time for v. reasonable prices.  To Wit: http://www.microcenter.com/product/449421/Elite_8200_Desktop_Computer_Off_Lease_Refurbished (an HP i5/Win7X64/4gb/250gb disk for $260.  99% of the machines spent their lives answering email or typing letters.  After a couple years it'll need a new power supply $40)

9 hours ago, j896 said:

I been using windows xp black edition with the pos updates  for my home computer. I would like to format this and go with 7.  Would a Intel Pentium 4  3.00 gigahertz  2 gigs of ram run windows 7?  XP is fast on this machine.

You would need @ least need another 2 gb of ram, but you can also try :-

Windows 7 Lite Edition.

Ok thanks every one.  I know i could of checked at the windows web site but you guys are smarter then them boobs at microsoft ;)

Archived