Router USB ports as a print server

bruinator

I have a verizon Fios router g1100 which has 2 usb ports on the back of it. When I try to use them they do not work. I asked verizon why the don't and they said they could only be used to charge a phone, tablet...etc. Is there a way I can turn it on yo turn it on and use it as a print server?

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

It looks that they are right. Not possible to use it as a print server unless there are settings in the router's page.

The 14th page of the manual for your router says this:

• USB - provides up to 500 mA at 5 VDC for attached devices. For example, you could charge a cell phone. In the future, with a firmware upgrade, the USB host functionality may be available for other devices, such as external storage and cameras. Firmware updates are performed automatically by Verizon.

See if there is any firmware update available.

If not then, you probably need to use another router in addition to this one which has a print server on usb function in order to connect a printer to it.

2 hours ago, bruinator said:

I have a verizon Fios router g1100 which has 2 usb ports on the back of it. When I try to use them they do not work. I asked verizon why the don't and they said they could only be used to charge a phone, tablet...etc. Is there a way I can turn it on yo turn it on and use it as a print server?

It reminds me of PS2's USB ports

i have a tp link dual band router with two usb ports ... one i use for a printer server the other is used for a usb hard drive to share within my network...or it can also be used as  a media server or configured as   an ftp ...you gotta have the right equipment to do what you need... ask verizon if  they have a router that will do what you require

Archived