Purchasing Video Card (Nvidia)

SacredCultivator

• Administrator

A small question. Have you monitored whether any single core of your CPU is fully utilized during the playback, if so, how many of those cores. The reason I ask is that if CPU is actually being bottleneck, which can or cannot be as you can play youtube fine, then all the CPU cores or atleast half of them should be at 100% during playback. If not so then it's something else I think.

• Replies 44
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SacredCultivator

Hmm sorry, noob, but how would i check for that? =X

---

EDIT:
Okay I managed to go to Resource Manager, and noticed when playing the video on average 2-3 cores are "Parked".

Video & audio bitrates are very important. even a dual core can play 4k videos @low bitrates

BUT when it comes to play a 4k file with 4 or 5000 Kbps & above with DTS audio, this is another story.

what are your videos average bitrates?

SacredCultivator

I'll list a few; (kbps)

8064 {Yeah can't play this one smoothly... weird}

29253 - Can play smoothly

25831 - Can Play smoothly

But then weird thing is... Can play smoothly if nothing else is running. But that seems to make sense. Like I can't have Bluestacks going/ or any other video playing.

---

2nd EDIT:
OKay.. so the ones I can play smoothly => 8-Bit encoding, the others are all 10-bit. If that helps.

SacredCultivator

No go.

BUT other friend suggested I uninstall CCCP and try installing MPC-HC Black Edition and well, a bit more options and these were the results;

Under Options -> Video - Video Renderer -> Format -> 10-bit Integer Surfaces

I don't know if this is a bug or not. But when I select that and Apply, it plays smoothly and gloriously... BUT when I close the player / play another 4k video, then it seems to go back to playing a very distorted video
http://i.imgur.com/yHC8wAc.jpg

So for the Video Renderer, on EVR Custom, I can reproduce it consistently. With that for switching hte Format to either 8 or 10 bit and then applying will produce smooth playback. And it doesn't matter which Resizer I pick, they all produce same smooth playback. But again despite this, if I load a new video it resets to that distorted image unless I change the Format again.

set your changes & go to mpc-be folder

see if you can find any *.ini  & set its attributes to read only

now retry to play 2 video files & see if this trick can resolve this particular issue

SacredCultivator

Tested and sadly no. When set to read only, even if I try the "fix" it doesn't apply anymore due to it.

Looking at the specs of your rig, you should be able to do 4K

Recommedations:

1. Connect with a GOOD DisplayPort cable (=higher bandwidth) not the cheapo DP cables which drop signal. HDMI cannot deliver high enough bandwidth, if this technical spec still holds true:

2. Upgrade your RAM to 16G. It's a cheap upgrade and it certainly doesn't hurt.

SacredCultivator

Wait a minute now... Don't tell me that that's the reasoning >< LOL, because my monitor to PC is via DVI, not HDMI. HDMI I use to connect to my TV. Could it be that if I connected let's say if I connected HDMI to monitor that might resolve?

---

EDIT:
Oh god.. tried plugging in via HDMI and works flawlessly now... But sadly the 970 only has 1 HDMI port... so may need to invest in another HDMI cable as I do have the DVI-> HDMI adapter

DVI can't transmit video resolution of 4k. You are lucky to feed the downscaled video signal to a FHD display.

And, I also think, in this case, cable is not the issue. 10 bit videos, encoded with HEVC requires too much CPU power for smooth decoding. Lack of GPU acceleration made the thing a worst one.

(unless the monitor or tv is such a quality to reproduce 10 bit videos perfectly, such videos are a waste of system resorce IMO. In my laptop & pc monitor of FHD display, I found the 4k 8bit videos, encoded with x264 too stunning.)

6 hours ago, SacredCultivator said:

Wait a minute now... Don't tell me that that's the reasoning >< LOL, because my monitor to PC is via DVI, not HDMI. HDMI I use to connect to my TV. Could it be that if I connected let's say if I connected HDMI to monitor that might resolve?

---

EDIT:
Oh god.. tried plugging in via HDMI and works flawlessly now... But sadly the 970 only has 1 HDMI port... so may need to invest in another HDMI cable as I do have the DVI-> HDMI adapter

For your setup the HDMI only goes to 24Hz refresh rate. You can just barely watch a video just fine, but the stuttering will be irritating if you use it for normal desktop applications (e.g. the mouse will act a little laggy).

The better 4K displays have a display port. Use that if you can manage it. Currently, many displays only go up to 24Hz refresh when using HDMI. You need to check the specs.

I thought you said you have the GTX 760? Or is it 970 now?

SacredCultivator

You're correct, I did, and then just purchased a 960.

But hmm I guess when I get the chance to actually get a dedicated HDMI cable I'll seee how well it'll do for whatever 4k content I watch. But when I tested the ones I currently have with the HDMI I use for my TV, they all played smoothly.

5 hours ago, SacredCultivator said:

when I tested the ones I currently have with the HDMI I use for my TV, they all played smoothly.

On lower resolutions, the refresh rate goes back up.

SacredCultivator

Okay update.

So I now use an DVI->HDMI adapter and have an HDMI cable connected to my monitor.

Now I've noticed another strange issue.

I use both Monitor/TV as duplicate displays, rather than extending.

THe issue becomes, if i go into Nvidia's Control Panel to adjust settings, it'll let me edit /config for my TV, but not for my MOnitor. Which I want to do for my MOnitor. The "workaround" to this is for me to Extend Displays and then I can adjust for both TV/Monitor. But if I just have it as Duplicate Displays, then can only change Image/Video settings for TV.

AFAIK this is the expected behavior if you are using Duplicate mode? You only control one display (Display 0)?

If all else fails, try the Nvidia driver that was just released a couple of days ago.

SacredCultivator

I just updated to the latest one today. And oh, if so, weird that it'd default to the TV and not my actual monitor.

Oh, well, it's not a big deal as the only thing I touch from it is the Video (Noise / Edge), but nothing that's a dealbreaker.

SacredCultivator

When in Duplicate, unless I'm doing it wrong, it shows 1 | 2, so can't really tell which is the Primary. But when I click on Identify, that's what's shown. So that sort of sucks.

NVIDIA Control Panel under "Set Up Multiple Monitors" it shows my Monitor as Primary, but in other sections that can edit settings, it shows my TV =/

Primary monitor is Display 1 (not 0 as I incorrectly said).

Try this: within duplicate mode, unplug the TV, then make some minor changes to the settings for the monitor and apply. then plug in the TV again.

Archived