Purchasing Video Card (Nvidia)

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Hello everyone,

Just wondering as I know I most likely missed the best deal via Black Friday / Cyber Monday, but are there any good deals/ best bang for buck for Nvidia Video Cards?

I currently have a GTX 760, but it's dated and doesn't full play 4k/UHD videos smoothly. At first I was considering buying a 4K Monitor, but quickly gave up since I can't even play said files without playback issues. 

And from some friend recommendations they suggested the GTX 960 as a good "best bang for buck" card. And most preferably a 4GB card and not a 2GB one.

So turning to you guys to see if you've got an links to deals on this card or one that's better but at a good price {Looking for under $300 if possible}. As mainly using this card for 4k/UHD play-ability and not so much for gaming. As I only play League of Legends which doesn't require much.

Thanks.

• Replies 44
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, if you want to play videos on 4K resolution and use it for LoL EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+ is the best option. On Amazon you will find it by $230 with 4GB and free backplate installed.

Greets.

SacredCultivator

Thanks for the reference. At a local Fry's I see This. Seems pretty okay price when comparing prices online with the tax/shipping/etc.

For the Amazonone, I assume this one, $229 (EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling w/ Free Installed Backplate Graphics Card 04G-P4-3967-KR).

Just curious what's the backplate? Just that metal frame thingy?

That one you saw is the same reference, so it's ok.

Backplate is a metal cover that you put over vcard pcb. It gives a "better aesthetic appereance" to your vcard and helps to disipate a little the heat from it.

With o without it, the card fits perfect for you need.

SacredCultivator

All right, want to thank you and I'll consider those 2 options/sources and will probably purchase it within the week. 

Just need to find out the Watts to my PSU.. as I don't remember at all, just know that it works fine with the 760 so not too sure how much more is needed for 970, if even.

Though it is a little expensive, if you are looking for bang for the buck, MaximumPC just did an eval of the Zotax 980Ti Amp! Extreme and it beat out a GTX Titan X.  With that much power it would last a long time.  But again it is expensive, around $680.

SacredCultivator

^Oh jeez, yeah that's expensive, and knowing I'm not a gamer, I won't ever need that. As 960 should be more than enough to play UHD/4K vids without issues.

Not much of a gamer so I doubt I'll utilize the power of the 980Ti.

It isn't just for gaming.  Anything that uses video benefits from a fast card. It is also the best 4K video card, and is recommended on many sites though you would be able to get a standard 980Ti from any brand and get most of the benefits.

SacredCultivator

True, but yeah, that price-tag is a bit way too much for my needs at the moment.

- - -

Another Question:
When it comes to using "DisplayPort", apart form Monitors, is there any benefit if I were to buy a DisplayPort cable to attach to my TV (Non-4K TV) Currently using HDMI.

There's no benefit using D-Port instead HDMI. HDMI is common, a propietary technology, support ethernet data, send and recieve audio.

If you PSU supplies enough power to your 760 of course it will do with 960.

Greets!

11 hours ago, SacredCultivator said:

I currently have a GTX 760, but it's dated and doesn't full play 4k/UHD videos smoothly.

You gave me a shock of my life mate :omg:

SacredCultivator

Okay just bought it at Fry's... lame. I am able ot play some of my UHD/4k stuff that I couldn't before, but not all of them ><

And man.. just noticed after replacing that the fan for my heatsink doesn't work. When you try to manually spin it, it's super tight, like it won't even spin. But shouldn't be a huge deal I don't think, as I don't even know how long it's been "dead".

As I know when you try to spin it, it'll TRY to spin but stop.

I should've noticed earlier and to buy another fan when I went to Fry's... But failed..

Mehs, was soo hyped to be able to play all of these files smoothly.

@SacredCultivator Looks like you are having more of a heating issue than a video card issue. The GTX 760 is more than enough for a 4K content. With proper cooling system, IMO, even GT 210 will render 4K contents without any issue if accompanied with a good CPU.

SacredCultivator

Weird. As with my current setup, I have 3 intakes (Front / side / CPU heatsink), 2 exhaust (back / top).

Not too sure if the not-functioning heatsink one would make that big of a difference... I mean nowadays it's cold, Ican try just opening the side to see if that does anything.

1 hour ago, SacredCultivator said:

When you try to manually spin it, it's super tight, like it won't even spin. But shouldn't be a huge deal I don't think, as I don't even know how long it's been "dead".

48 minutes ago, SacredCultivator said:

Not too sure if the not-functioning heatsink one would make that big of a difference...

One of the cheapest component is just about to prove one of the costliest mistake of your life — I wouldn't ride my luck too much, bro. (you have been blessed . . . . . . . . . .abundantly.)

SacredCultivator

Yeah... I'll see if I can find me a 80mm fan to replace it.

2 hours ago, SacredCultivator said:

Weird. As with my current setup, I have 3 intakes (Front / side / CPU heatsink), 2 exhaust (back / top).

Not too sure if the not-functioning heatsink one would make that big of a difference... I mean nowadays it's cold, Ican try just opening the side to see if that does anything.

Yes, a not functioning heat sink on CPU or GPU can make a lot of difference. Heat dissipation is a very crucial thing on computers. Any malfunction in those is directly proportional to performance lag and eventually hardware damage.

Don't forget that video playback is not only related to the video card.

it depends also on the gpu+drivers, cpu/clock, hdd/rpm, ram, monitor/resolution. codecs+settings & the player.

if only one of those is old/insufficient/not well configured, it can be a bottlenek & make a big difference!

I think, it's not the GPU, your CPU is struggling playback of 4K videos, since, it lacks the required instruction sets, where the GPUs are not. So, install one media player that fully supports DXVA (like Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra), and check in the settings, DXVA is enabled or not.

When you can offload the CPU from decoding videos, I believe, the scenario will change to favorable situation.

By the way, look here, the older video card GTX 760 is fully 4k playback compatible device.

4K | Supported GPUs | GeForce

SacredCultivator

HMm, well when I get home I'll find the specs of my PC and list them here. But will definitely see if time allows for me to go and pick up a 80mm fan first for my CPU heatsink.

But currently using CCCP + MPC. And using CUVID with it, at least I'm sure that I am. Since the option for it is enabled as well as UHD (4K) option is ticked. 

I normally use MadVR but I know that takes a lot out of the CPU/GPU, so I've tried just using EVR, as well as PotPlayer.

This is my Monitor (Resolution is at 1920x1080)
8GB RAM
SSD

Off the top of my head my I just know I have an 8-core AMD, forget the name.

I have found people frustrated over AMD CPUs for not being able to handle HD videos smoothly. If you are not a gamer who wants a budget CPU for gaming, Intel is the way to go to retain peace of mind. 

SacredCultivator

That's true, when I built this computer I was debating soo hard on AMD/ i7, but the prices for the i7 at that time were too high for me. And yeah, sadly I was on a tight budget and well, perhaps it bit me in the butt in th elong run. As I do a lot of encoding as well (fansubs).

Well when I get home I'll get more info/ tweak/test more things within MPC/PotPlayer.

And at first with the 960, I was like.. the fans aren't spinning, only to read on another flyer in the box that they don't spin unless it's really hot.

What I understood, the problem to properly handle 4K videos are not related to your mighty Graphics Card or even the CPU. I just downloaded one 4K video from Youtube & played with PowerDVD / VLC not skipped a single frame in my laptop having Intel HD Grphics. At the time of DxVA playback, CPU usage is 0%, meaning the decoding is offloaded from the CPU to handle in the Graphics Device alone.

AM7vmRj.jpg

J50Q2oA.png

0kx0ynz.png

So, its time to remove all those crappy codecpack / renderer. I abandoned these sort of things long ago, since causing issues than to actually improve anything at all.

SacredCultivator

Oh... well here's the interesting thing. When it comes to any 4K content via YouTube, I can play all of those just fine. Even when I used the 760 card. It's other downloaded content that sometimes gives me issues.

When I get home I can provide a link to some for testing purposes.

And friend gave me some settings to tweak within MPC/PotPlayer, so I'll test those out as well to see if it helps out.

SacredCultivator

Update:
So my CPU: AMD FX-8350

And yeah I know AMD isn't that great, though not sure if that's the problem.

Archived