Help...Again - CPU Temp (Intel i7-4790K)

Knightmare

Sorry for the long absence. My computer needed new RAM but my friends convinced me that building a new computer would be better. So I got my mobo, psu, cpu, gpu, etc, and built a top-of-the-line computer. It's working great and I can play video games that I could play before. Paranoid, I installed speedfan and decided to monitor my temps. After playing some games and downloading programs, my cpu temp hit 60 degrees. This wouldn't have meant anything to me until I did some research and found that my cpu maxes out at 66 degrees. Now I'm worried. I need some advice. My friend helped me build my computer but said that the cpu fan had thermal paste on it and that we didn't need any. I have an i7 processor, which one user claimed to have reached 100 degrees. Should I reapply thermal paste?

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be too worried about 60 degrees, under load.

What is the model of the CPU? I haven't heard of any with a Tjunction of 66 degrees.

Ask your friend what thermal paste he applied. If he applied one of the better ones, and he knows what he is doing, there is no reason for you to do it again. (Unless you want to install a better heatsink+fan).

• Administrator

Changed the title a little.

Please mention the CPU model.

Most CPUs should be fine even if they reach 80C or so. However, that when the fans and thermal paste need cleaning. In normal cases, 60C on full load should be fine.

14 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Sorry for the long absence.

Spoiler

My computer needed new RAM but my friends convinced me that building a new computer would be better. So I got my mobo, psu, cpu, gpu, etc, and built a top-of-the-line computer. It's working great and I can play video games that I could play before. Paranoid, I installed speedfan and decided to monitor my temps. After playing some games and downloading programs, my cpu temp hit 60 degrees. This wouldn't have meant anything to me until I did some research and found that my cpu maxes out at 66 degrees. Now I'm worried. I need some advice. My friend helped me build my computer but said that the cpu fan had thermal paste on it and that we didn't need any. I have an i7 processor, which one user claimed to have reached 100 degrees. Should I reapply thermal paste?

If your CPU temp below 950C, everything is OK;
If the temperature goes above allowed, will turn your computer off;
If the computer is in the default or idle state, the usual working temp is above 550C-650C, and is certainly more if You use many programs or large programs, but preferably less than 950C and usually it is always so. Short-term, it may be even more than 1200C.

However, none of the computer usually does not go very hot. If goes, then usually  pc is dirty, dusty or vents are coated (eg a laptop is in lap, in bed, etc.).

Israeli_Eagle

Intels are always way too hot, 60-70 degrees are normal of them.

But I prefer this:

nRwxLRh.jpg

For example the maximum 40 was when playing Elite Dangerous Horizons some hours. B)

If your CPU is Intel Haswell then you're fine because Tj. Max is 100 C and they're made to work at high temps, if you're too worried then use an air cooling system with a big heatsink for your CPU, it's  cheap and effective. :)

Capture.PNG

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Intels are always way too hot, 60-70 degrees are normal of them.

But I prefer this:

Spoiler

nRwxLRh.jpg

For example the maximum 40 was when playing Elite Dangerous Horizons some hours. B)

Well, surprised to see that. What's the room temp and are you using any liquid cooler.

Also, how's ED, always wanted to try it but holding up for Star Citizen instead. :P

Israeli_Eagle
3 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Well, surprised to see that. What's the room temp and are you using any liquid cooler.

Also, how's ED, always wanted to try it but holding up for Star Citizen instead. :P

I'm living at Israel, so... Never really cold. And only an old Arctic cooler (Freezer Xtreme), but most often the fan is off because there is nothing to cool. A good case also helps a lot too, I prefer Fractal Design.

• Administrator

Ah. I see. Where I am, in Mumbai, 25C room temp right now is considered cold. Either way, using Cooler Master Hyper TX3 here with Cooler Master Extreme Fusion paste, very hard to find and apply I must say. The idle temps are 40C and 60C max gaming.

Arctic Cooling and Fractal Design are two companies which are inexistent here. Even importing their products seem impossible to me. So are Silverstone, nzxt and many such.

About case, I'm hearing a lot about Corsair 200R. Probably the one of the only good cases that are available here and fit the budget. Here only Cooler Master and Corsair are sold.

Israeli_Eagle
40 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Ah. I see. Where I am, in Mumbai, 25C room temp right now is considered cold. Either way, using Cooler Master Hyper TX3 here with Cooler Master Extreme Fusion paste, very hard to find and apply I must say. The idle temps are 40C and 60C max gaming.

Arctic Cooling and Fractal Design are two companies which are inexistent here. Even importing their products seem impossible to me. So are Silverstone, nzxt and many such.

About case, I'm hearing a lot about Corsair 200R. Probably the one of the only good cases that are available here and fit the budget. Here only Cooler Master and Corsair are sold.

We have every year some small winter, well what we name it. Usually 9 months are always 30C+ and a week 40C+ (with sahara sand). But my CPU had the highest so far around 50 maximum with high overclocking.

The Corsair 200R is a great case, fully recommended!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

We have every year some small winter, well what we name it. Usually 9 months are always 30C+ and a week 40C+ (with sahara sand). But my CPU had the highest so far around 50 maximum with high overclocking.

The Corsair 200R is a great case, fully recommended!

I see. Means hotter than here. But it feels more hot, tiering and lousy here as the humidity is far higher than most big time cities in the world. Even sportsmen coming here who have toured around the world complain of Mumbai's hot and humid conditions. :P

My CPU was reaching 90C with the stock paste that come with the cooler, which was obviously due to dust. Went trying for months if not years to find a single, yes single paste in whole city if not whole country of CM Extreme Fusion X1. Cleaned the dust and applied the paste, which was really really hard to apply, probably took few days for it settle. Then it reached these numbers. I thought it would be even better than this, but I think I over-applied it as this paste, as per benchmarks, is the best thermal paste made till date.

I see. Thing is, somehow, to me, 200R does not look like a gaming case. How about Cooler Master 300N. I'm on a 5 year PC with cheap Cooler Master Elite 310, which I do not want to change soon. So these models might not even be available later. But just checking.

Israeli_Eagle
18 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

I see. Means hotter than here. But it feels more hot, tiering and lousy here as the humidity is far higher than most big time cities in the world. Even sportsmen coming here who have toured around the world complain of Mumbai's hot and humid conditions. :P

My CPU was reaching 90C with the stock paste that come with the cooler, which was obviously due to dust. Went trying for months if not years to find a single, yes single paste in whole city if not whole country of CM Extreme Fusion X1. Cleaned the dust and applied the paste, which was really really hard to apply, probably took few days for it settle. Then it reached these numbers. I thought it would be even better than this, but I think I over-applied it as this paste, as per benchmarks, is the best thermal paste made till date.

I see. Thing is, somehow, to me, 200R does not look like a gaming case. How about Cooler Master 300N. I'm on a 5 year PC with cheap Cooler Master Elite 310, which I do not want to change soon. So these models might not even be available later. But just checking.

In your country maybe you should think about AMD FX, especially the E-series of Vishera. Then you have never cooling problems again and also enough power. And much better bam-per-buck! Think about that... My max was 50C in hot summer and 4.5 GHz!

The Cooler Master cases are also nice, but the Corsair is way better I think.

• Administrator

I see. Well, i5-750 is serving me well. Even though I do not play heavy graphics games yet, most of the good graphics ones I have tried have not managed more than 50-60% of usage. This tells me Intel is still quite trustable on the long run. But no takes right now, just looking into things.

I have learned a lot about many components, but cases are something which are still an unknown territory for me I think.

Almost any case is good. You just have to plan your input and output vents. A little DIY here and there will save you $$$

The commonest mistake is to recirculate hot air inside the case.

if your idle temps are less than 40°C or 10°C above room temp, means the thermal paste is doing it's job. if the "load" temps are too high (over 80°C) means your heat sink can't keep up. you would need an aftermarket one. on those the important thing is the heat pipes. more heat pipes in contact with the processor = better. of course, make sure it comes with a nice, big 120mm fan or 2.

cheap thermal paste is not worth the trouble. arctic silver satchels are very cheap. and you only need a rice grain  sized amount.

15 hours ago, vibranium said:

Just wondering, why is this thread in "Software Chat"?  :P

Getting hot under the hood! :P

Back on a OP's quest-issue, 66°c is absolute nothing to none processor. 

Simple BIOS setting ( or modification , if need be) would allow you to set desired behaviour of temperature issues, ie when for the fan to cut inn, when to shut pc

Core-temp slows my system down on Windows 10 as it did back then on Windows 8.1 too. uses too much RAM. maybe it has some problems with the programs installed on my computer, I suspect Kaspersky Internet security. its icon in the notification area keeps beating when core-temp is running on startup and it's weird that core-temp used more than 200 MB of RAM. anybody else noticed that?

13 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Core-temp slows my system down on Windows 10 as it did back then on Windows 8.1 too. uses too much RAM. maybe it has some problems with the programs installed on my computer, I suspect Kaspersky Internet security. its icon in the notification area keeps beating when core-temp is running on startup and it's weird that core-temp used more than 200 MB of RAM. anybody else noticed that?

regardless of your problem with the amount of ram used, the following is only related to core temp & direct file access (wich can cause antivirus warnings)

• Why does Core Temp require administrator privileges to run?
    Core Temp requires direct access to hardware to be able to read temperature and other processor information.
    In Windows you can only access hardware using a kernel mode driver. Since Core Temp doesn't install anything permanent on your system, it loads the driver at run time, this task requires administrator rights to achieve.

• my anti virus software has flagged it as containing a virus or trojan!
    Core Temp does not contain a trojan. Core Temp contains 2 driver binaries (32bit and 64bit) as part of the executable, Core Temp extracts the drivers and starts them at run time, as discussed above. This may bring up a red flag in some antivirus scanners triggering them to believe that Core Temp contains a virus or trojan code.

2 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

it's weird that core-temp used more than 200 MB of RAM. anybody else noticed that?

200MB?  Hmmmmmmm.... :unsure:

2 hours ago, jordan4x said:

regardless of your problem with the amount of ram used, the following is only related to core temp & direct file access (wich can cause antivirus warnings)

• Why does Core Temp require administrator privileges to run?
    Core Temp requires direct access to hardware to be able to read temperature and other processor information.
    In Windows you can only access hardware using a kernel mode driver. Since Core Temp doesn't install anything permanent on your system, it loads the driver at run time, this task requires administrator rights to achieve.

• my anti virus software has flagged it as containing a virus or trojan!
    Core Temp does not contain a trojan. Core Temp contains 2 driver binaries (32bit and 64bit) as part of the executable, Core Temp extracts the drivers and starts them at run time, as discussed above. This may bring up a red flag in some antivirus scanners triggering them to believe that Core Temp contains a virus or trojan code.

I don't know...KIS doesn't show any alerts, its icon just actively beats, maybe it's normal. but core-temp causes my system to freeze and sometimes leads to BSOD. I uninstalled it soon after system booted and I'm looking for other alternatives now

like this, it shows GPU temps too 

https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/real-temp-3-70/

6 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

I don't know...KIS doesn't show any alerts, its icon just actively beats, maybe it's normal. but core-temp causes my system to freeze and sometimes leads to BSOD. I uninstalled it soon after system booted and I'm looking for other alternatives now

like this, it shows GPU temps too 

https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/real-temp-3-70/

Disable KIS, run Core Temp & see the amount of ram used.

• Administrator
On 19/12/2015 at 5:05 PM, vibranium said:

Just wondering, why is this thread in "Software Chat"?  :P

Good that you have mentioned.

Thread moved to Technology Talk.

Please use the report button in such cases and so.

Archived