Laptop Ethernet Replacement

HX1

Okay so here is the deal...

I have an HP 15 f023 Laptop which has a card that is identified two ways... In one case it says it is a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller, and AIDA64 identifies it as a Realtek LTE8139/810x... this card is only 10/100 speed capable..

I want to go up with that capacity as high as I can get and I am guessing that would be 10/100/1000 as that is what I have found online..

Now my question would be.. is it possible to replace this card with a mini PCI-e card which is capable by removing the mounting bracket on a card for a desktop and fitting it into my laptop...

I do a lot of network file transfers and work and would like to improve my 10-11 MB/s speed... to maybe 100 MB/s ( or more would be nice ).. this is my objective... I do not have a slot for some of the network cards I have seen online and have seen some f the USB adapters for 10/100/1000 adapters but I am wondering what would be the best option.. and if anyone has successfully done this as I can literally find no video or documentation of anyone taking a card and doing this online..

I might mention that the clip on my connection to hold it in has a little spring loaded attachment, which has to be opened up to clip in the RJ45... sort of wondering about that too...

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen in any of my laptops a removable Ethernet card. Ethernet is built into the main motherboard.

maybe if your router and all other switches, computers, cable and all attached networking equiptment is 1000mbit, then a usb3/gigabit-ethernet would be quicker. Its only is as fast as the slowest hardware, so I think your barking at the wrong tree & need to replace your laptop if all other parts of network are gigabit. USB2 here is max of 30mb reads but maybe 17mb writes.. so you might gain there some ... but it depends on the rest of your network speed.

So you've got an HP 15-f023wm, with a Realtek PCIe FE (Fast Ethernet ie 10-100) chip, aka RTL810x

Raw speed (without FS bottleneck) should be 85-95 Mb/s (Mb not MB).

Mini PCie LAN Card for desktop are not common at all (WLAN is another story)

The motherboard of your laptop ( http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/peIAAOSwwbdWJsPK/$_57.JPG) has no PCie slot.

End of the story.

Apparently (check with AIDA64) you've got USB 3.0 ports on your laptop.

So if you want to use an USB adapter, be sure to take one that has on the host side an USB 3.0 interface, otherwise, in USB 2.0, you will be limited to 25-30 MB/s (MB not Mb).

ASIX 88179 based adapters are OK in my opinion.

You might be able to find what you need on this site

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/HP,Laptop,Network-Interface-(NIC).aspx

Or you could use an adaptor like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2XB12C4619

Your computer has 1 usb 2 and 2 usb 3 ports according to HP

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04443514

so you could also use this adapter for faster speeds

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2XB2C23326&cm_re=plugable_usb_3.0_to_10%2f100%2f1000-_-9SIA2XB2C23326-_-Product

But you will never get a connection in MBs since it is measured in Mbs as others have mentioned above and even those speeds would only be obtained on a lan with gigabit capability throughout. Most work lans I have seen have limited gigabit access for some (like IT and management) but 100 Mbs for everyone else. So make sure you can even use that speed from end to end on your connection.

Okay so my router has a 3.0 port, and a 2.0 as well, ...and 5 Gigabit capable ports, so does the range extender. ( http://netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R8000.aspx#tab-techspecs) and ( http://netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX7000.aspx#tab-techspecs ) , both NAS Ethernet cards state Gigabyte capable.. ( http://netgear.com/business/products/storage/readynas/RN31600.aspx#tab-techspecs ) Tablets ( 2 NOKIA Lumia 2520 ) which I occasionally pull stuff out of are on 5 GHz and I have purchased ( yet to be installed, still has not arrived ) an Intel 3160 2.4/5 GHz WiFi with Bluetooth 4.0 capability... ( was cheap and wasn't for sure if other options matched up, this one seems to be an option so I took it.. $10 )

The other devices I have on my network I could really care less about.. :) and they are just beyond me wasting my time..

BUT I am pretty sure that my home network is capable....

and I did not notice that in fact the motherboard shows it integrated until that was pointed out.. Thanks .. funny thing is I was staring at diagrams of it for awhile because I want to check my Webcam connection.. ( requires removal of quite a bit.. ) .. and was also thinking of upgrading RAM .. so I thought about upgrading the card to.. :P .. since I am going to have it in pieces.. LOL... why not.. but never noticed until now.. would have been a mistake..

So I will try out one of the adapters... see how it goes..

Thanks for all of the help! - seems like I overlooked a very important part of the story.. on the PCI-e.. :P

EDIT: Oh and I am not too worried about my Phone.. I can FTP to/from the phone as well as play DNLA from my network.. but I think it is only going to be 2.4 GHz capable anyway.. plus I can plug in USB 3.0 ( preferred ) and access the SD and Memory..

Hello, in recent months I have changed the ethernet cards smoothly. If you have some experience opening the laptop it is very easy to change.

In three laptop I used these cards:
On the Internet there is sufficient information on the specific steps, according to the brand and model of the laptop,to make the change easily.

I seen some of those cards stating 2 x 2 - 887 Mbps, wasn't for sure if they would be a good replacement so I stuck with something that had the same pin arrangement.. ( definitely was not going to use Broadcom ) and thought the Intel card would be the best option..

The second one you posted was what I bought but is the first one a better card to get?

The first card is two radio antenna's = 875mbit rated combined 2.4 & 5.2gHZ max

The second card is one radio antenna = 450mbit ditto

But it also depends on the Wi-Fi access point .

>>>>>>>>>

Does anyone know the pin numbers that would disable the blue tooth on the Intel mini-half PCI-e Wi-Fi cards ?

Reason.. my Lenovo laptop (whitelist removed) is near 4 yr old design & the intel 7260 hangs at boot for maybe 20 seconds so I'm thinking its the blue tooth as back then usb traces for blue tooth radio's were not on all the PCI-e slots. Strangely a Broadcom 4352 with blue tooth boots fine, yet drops connection every few hours for a minute. I'd like to insulate the Bluetooth/usb pin contacts.

To me that sounds like a connectivity issue with your router/wireless...

How far are you from the router and how strong is the signal? ...and how many 'known' networks do you have listed...

See if you can find and download Inssider version 3.1.2.1... It will allow you to see other signals and their strengths as well as the channels they are all on.. If you have another strong signal on the same channel it can degrade your wireless performance..

BUT I found this... check out the last two posts on the page ( or read the thread to see if it sounds right )

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Lenovo-Y570-boot-slow-and-freezes-in-windows

Thanks for the link.. at least I know its a common problem with that card and the Lenovo's. I'm almost positive its the usb connection related.

The intel 7260ac - windows works fine with it once it reaches past the initial windows logo its instantly at the login screen. Thanks to Samsung... I'm maybe at the longest 4 seconds to reach the login screen & desktop is instant.. nothing lags... just the initial boot past bios is 15 to 20 seconds with the intel card. Broadcom AC card with Bluetooth boots as normal. Strange.

BCM94352... 2 radio/antenna wifi/Bluetooth card.. it works perfect with several wifi routers. Just was given an Archer c3200 router to beat up on & see what I think of it ... Free is always good & it works seemingly perfect ...as advertised too ! :)

win10

7Nx54Sw.jpg

I think I may play around with a few WiFi cards and see what I can do for mine as well.. the first one was pretty cheap.. but looking at the speed I may check a few others out as well..

Archived