Windows Firewall Control 4.5.4.4

anuraag

Microsoft Windows have already built-in default, free and powerful firewalls, but unfortunately, they lack a simple interface to define own simple rules and can be difficult sometimes to configure them the right way. Windows Firewall Control is a nifty little application which extends the functionality of the Windows Firewall and provides quick access to the most frequent options of Windows Firewall. It runs in the system tray and allows user to control the native firewall easily without having to waste time by navigating to the specific part of the firewall. Windows Firewall Control offers four filtering modes which can be switched with just a mouse click. WFC is free to use, registered users will get the advantage of learning mode which provides notifications for outgoing blocked connections.

Thanks to sternog for the update.

Download

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Important heads up for those using the Windows Firewall Control (WFC) tutorial — the latest version v4.5.4.4, adds a few "Allowed" rules (without your consent) which you might want to delete in order to maintain a leak-proof and tamper-proof status.

Hmmm. I took a screenshot of before & after and no new allow rules were added for me. Which rules were added on your end?

Important heads up for those using the Windows Firewall Control (WFC) tutorial — the latest version v4.5.4.4, adds a few "Allowed" rules (without your consent) which you might want to delete in order to maintain a leak-proof and tamper-proof status.

Hmmm. I took a screenshot of before & after and no new allow rules were added for me. Which rules were added on your end?

About 8 - 10 new rules were added — just a few examples:—

Bing Finance

OneNote

Skype Metro App

Zune Video

etc., etc.

BTW, are you using the Windows Firewall Control (WFC) tutorial?

About 8 - 10 new rules were added — just a few examples:—

Bing Finance

OneNote

Skype Metro App

Zune Video

etc., etc.

BTW, are you using the Windows Firewall Control (WFC) tutorial?

No, but I did read it in it's entirety and my settigs are the same outside of notifications and color. Even if I had followed it verbatim there isn't anything in it that would have specifically allowed/not allowed those new rules to be created for one person and not another. Did you do a fresh install and maybe that's how they were added? I don;t know but they aren't there on my end.

Edit: Does anyone have the setup for the previous version 4.5.4.2? The following fix was reverted in 4.5.4.4 and I need to go back until it has been fixed:

What's new in version 4.4.0.0 (04.02.2015)

- Fixed: Duplicate notifications are displayed for the same program if there are defined custom rules and PeerBlock or MBAM are used to block certain IP addresses.

Edit2: I am also getting notification for apps that alrady have rules created, regardless of PeerBlock being completely disabled. Really need that 4.5.4.2, lol.

Alexandrud uploaded this version, by mistake — the correct version (bearing the changelog already released) is now available at this post.

EDIT: Unfortunately I have uploaded the wrong version 4.5.4.4 which had a missing condition and which generated duplicate notifications for blocked programs. So I had to reupload a patch version which is now 4.5.4.5.

Archived