Ghacks Users essential Firefox add-on list

212eta

A couple of days ago I asked you (nicely) to name your favorite Firefox add-ons.

The idea was to collect a list of add-ons that users of this site consider essential and

provide Mozilla with the data so that the organization could use it (or not) for the upcoming

WebExtensions API to make sure those add-ons survive the move.

This becomes handy in regards to e10s, Firefox's multi-process system, as it will break add-ons as well.

I'm not sure if the Are we e10s yet website is updated regularly but its current status shows

more untested add-ons than add-ons that are already compatible with multi-process Firefox.

Ghacks Users essential Firefox add-on list (by ghacks)

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we have a clear winner ublock :rolleyes:

and umatrix.

i'd also recommend session buddy, but unfortunately i haven't seen a firefox extension for it. and this was kept me from actively using firefox as my main driver.

PS: i heard noscript protects from things that umatrix/ublock aren't able to. So could be useful as well.

*update

found out what it was

What noscript has that ublock/umatrix don't ?

Personally I would keep doing what your doing, keep NoScript for the added protection, at least until Flash is made completely obsolete and is not needed anymore (for exmaple twitch.tv), or until one day when (hopefully) gorhill will add in XXS/Clickjacking protection into ublock/umatrix to make NoScript really obsolete. I can dream.

Clickjacking = Blocking third party frames

As far as XSS is concerned, there are a myriad of techniques for it, most of which rely on scripts, frames and browser exploits (one could in theory execute JavaScript via HTML IMG tags, but browsers no longer allow that to happen).

The only thing NoScript has on uMatrix (which does not make up for its deficiencies and lower performance) is the feature referred to as 'surrogate scripts'. Essentially mirroring a library, or a modified version of a given library (e.g. mootools, or jquery). uBlock used to have this.

Another thing NoScript has over uMatrix I like is by middle clicking the domain you can quickly lookup it's WOT scorecard for additional information on what it is about.

XSS protection and ABE and stuff. i think it does more than just blocking/allowing scripts/plugins, or so ive read :p

EDIT: i just found pages to test on and noscript DID protect me from both ABE and XSS even tho scripts are allowed globally on it.

Case scenario

Currently using uM, NS, RP(Continued) & ABP and scratching my head how to simplify things.

• I could ditch uM and just use NS ABE feature or even ABP advanced rules instead, but I love the Matrix handling too much, it's sooo convenient. Cudos for that ingenuity @gorhill!

• I could ditch NS, but uM/uB/ABP don't completely disable scripts, which results in pages or parts thereof not displaying correctly (e.g. #260).

• I could ditch RP, but I like how it completely removes scopes on a content level, so blocked domains don't even make it into the adblock filter. It keeps things clean!

• I could ditch ABP for uB, but the "blockable items" feature provides so much more functionality than the interface or logger of uB

It just can't be right to run this overcomplicated setup for the sake of those 4 features. I don't care so much about performance but functionality. I can't quite see how to miss out any of them.

I guess I'm stuck...

Solution

what ive done is move all 3rd party filters which are like host files, to umatrix and only kept static filtering filters in ublock. i deny everything but css and images for 1st party in umatrix (thus blocking scripts globally). i keep noscript because of its other protections but i set noscript to allow scripts globally, because umatrix will take care of whether or not scripts are allowed on between

Source:

https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/issues/297

and umatrix.

i'd also recommend session buddy, but unfortunately i haven't seen a firefox extension for it. and this was kept me from actively using firefox as my main driver.

PS: i heard noscript protects from things that umatrix/ublock aren't able to. So could be useful as well.

*update

found out what it was

Personally I would keep doing what your doing, keep NoScript for the added protection, at least until Flash is made completely obsolete and is not needed anymore (for exmaple twitch.tv), or until one day when (hopefully) gorhill will add in XXS/Clickjacking protection into ublock/umatrix to make NoScript really obsolete. I can dream.

As far as XSS is concerned, there are a myriad of techniques for it, most of which rely on scripts, frames and browser exploits (one could in theory execute JavaScript via HTML IMG tags, but browsers no longer allow that to happen).

The only thing NoScript has on uMatrix (which does not make up for its deficiencies and lower performance) is the feature referred to as 'surrogate scripts'. Essentially mirroring a library, or a modified version of a given library (e.g. mootools, or jquery). uBlock used to have this.

Another thing NoScript has over uMatrix I like is by middle clicking the domain you can quickly lookup it's WOT scorecard for additional information on what it is about.

XSS protection and ABE and stuff. i think it does more than just blocking/allowing scripts/plugins, or so ive read :P

EDIT: i just found pages to test on and noscript DID protect me from both ABE and XSS even tho scripts are allowed globally on it.

Case scenario

Currently using uM, NS, RP(Continued) & ABP and scratching my head how to simplify things.

• I could ditch uM and just use NS ABE feature or even ABP advanced rules instead, but I love the Matrix handling too much, it's sooo convenient. Cudos for that ingenuity @gorhill!

• I could ditch NS, but uM/uB/ABP don't completely disable scripts, which results in pages or parts thereof not displaying correctly (e.g. #260).

• I could ditch RP, but I like how it completely removes scopes on a content level, so blocked domains don't even make it into the adblock filter. It keeps things clean!

• I could ditch ABP for uB, but the "blockable items" feature provides so much more functionality than the interface or logger of uB

It just can't be right to run this overcomplicated setup for the sake of those 4 features. I don't care so much about performance but functionality. I can't quite see how to miss out any of them.

I guess I'm stuck...

Solution

what ive done is move all 3rd party filters which are like host files, to umatrix and only kept static filtering filters in ublock. i deny everything but css and images for 1st party in umatrix (thus blocking scripts globally). i keep noscript because of its other protections but i set noscript to allow scripts globally, because umatrix will take care of whether or not scripts are allowed on between

Source:

You try and test what you wish, use your personal experience to find what is best for YOU...Don't be lead astray by others opinions, we all use things we prefer..I very much doubt there is a single member here who has his or her setup exactly the same as another member..Personal preference rules :)

You try and test what you wish, use your personal experience to find what is best for YOU...Don't be lead astray by others opinions, we all use things we prefer..I very much doubt there is a single member here who has his or her setup exactly the same as another member..Personal preference rules :)

Well said m8..Life.. :yes:

and umatrix.

*update

found out what it was

XSS protection and ABE and stuff. i think it does more than just blocking/allowing scripts/plugins, or so ive read :P

Case scenario

I guess I'm stuck...

Solution

Source:

fair enough :} i don't mind other people have different preferences.

i personally stick with what shows the results. mediocre products never last in the game :hehe:

uBlock Origin 47
No Script 30
Classic Theme Restorer 29
HTTPS Everyhwere 23
Tab Mix Plus 23
Greasemonkey 22
AdBlock Plus 20
Last Pass 20
DownThemAII! 19
Self Destructing Cookies 13
Better Privacy 11
Disconnect 11