Daum PotPlayer 1.6.56209

anuraag

It always depends on the person needs and taste :)

W10FC seems a good firewall but WFC does the job in my case, they're both good, the main goal was to block outgoing data which was sucessful with both firewalls, i can even enjoy Mirillis Action! again which only with Windows Firewall was a pain in the ass. (but hey, let's not create off-topic :P)

• Replies 36
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It always depends on the person needs and taste :)

W10FC seems a good firewall but WFC does the job in my case, they're both good, the main goal was to block outgoing data which was sucessful with both firewalls, i can even enjoy Mirillis Action! again which only with Windows Firewall was a pain in the ass. (but hey, let's not create off-topic :P)

Ether one is good for most things .. If you like to run ip sniffers and stuff WFC is fine in my case Im lazy and W10FC has ip sniffer built in . :lol:

You might wanna re-download the installers. There was a silent update. The version is still the same, but the files are newer. When you open PP from 9/9 it will tell you to update to version 1.6.56209 (the same version you already have) and after the update, the about box says 1.6.56209 from SEPT 14.

the new installers are also dated sept 14.

You might wanna re-download the installers. There was a silent update. The version is still the same, but the files are newer. When you open PP from 9/9 it will tell you to update to version 1.6.56209 (the same version you already have) and after the update, the about box says 1.6.56209 from SEPT 14.

the new installers are also dated sept 14.

Using Beta now again here .

PotPlayer 1.6.56239 Beta

----------------------------------------------------------

[1.6.56239] 2015/09/15

----------------------------------------------------------

* Major update for FFmpeg(Previous module can't be used)

+ Added operating selection in showing UI when dropping file to play

- Fixed an issue that can't play next one with certain AAC/MP3 files

- Fixed abnormal action when using Windows Border Skin in Windows 10 or newer

http://get.daum.net/PotPlayer/Beta/PotPlayerSetup.exe

betas are only 32bit, so no, thanks. Sticking to the stable.

I never use x64 player I see no benefit from it and I been on x64 O/S since like 2010 . I can play High Definition on a x86 player just as easy as on x64 version only thing x64 does is hinder you from being able to play some formats and hinder you from not being able to receive beta updates and get new cutting edge features and bug fixes . :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(...)

Not that simple. I tried to block the program but it keeps calling home no matter what you do, give it a try and you'll see. I've tested it a bit and i was able to gather a bunch of IP's:

110.45.215.11323.51.235.27110.45.229.148114.108.157.233110.45.243.176211.244.82.10761.111.62.17561.111.62.65113.29.190.49110.45.243.115114.108.157.236
I blocked them all but it persists in calling home. The only way i was able to block the connection was by setting Medium filtering in Windows Firewall Control app. It must be using something else to call home, some other program or ports.

No wonder why people get paranoid by these software nowadays, a simple program like this and yet it goes around everything you do to trick it.

It is certainly disgusting seeing how Potplayer tries by all means to communicate with several ip addresses, right after it is opened. I use it almost daily, but it wasn't till some weeks ago, when I started to use a firewall and keep noting till what degree it will attempt to establish said connections.

​I used to block the known ips with the routing method, but that wasn't enough, since there might always be newer and/or older undetected addresses which could still be letting it calls home; besides, that way there is always a delay of approximately 2 minutes (while PP tries to contact the different ips), before the program's start. So, even when the connections' attempts are blocked through some firewall, one should make sure it isn't hooking up any other Windows' processes/files (it uses to hook up "svchost.exe" under W7 installations) or interfering the network traffic somehow.

Since then, I just have denied it these two attempts:

http://i.imgur.com/QX6QONa.png​​http://i.imgur.com/C4T7cNN.png​

And so far, it isn't doing any unrequested/unauthorized outbound connections, but the ones I want and when I want to.

​It was because this very same reason (among others), I ceased to use once good KMPlayer since 3.1+ versions, when they started to increasingly tracking, spying or doing any other unnecessary things behind users' back.

And this the reason I never tried Potplayer in my system. Dunno, who will tolerate a program constantly spying on user's usage pattern, movie taste etc.

My bet is on the mighty VLC (and sometimes mplayer) media player. More powerful than those good looking skinned multimedia players.

Archived