HP Biult-in Camera Malfunction

HX1

I was wondering .. I have looked for a solution to fixing this problem all over the internet.. I have installed software.. checked the system drivers. You name it I have tried it..

Since I updated the system after getting it last year, the biult-in camera in the laptop has quit working.. The microphones still work.. and auto-dimming but it is integrated and I really have come to the last option which is to pull the thing apart.. and check the connection.. ( plugs in under a plate which is under the keyboard which requires disassembling the CD Tray, Keyboard.. Top cover of laptop.. Have already checked the connections in the lid and above the screen ) This requires me to disassemble the entire laptop..

Before I go about this and spend all day.. ( possibly break something )..

Does anyone else know of a solution to be tried to get this working again? I have all but lost hope.. any suggestions or weird solutions to the problem would be great.. Will provide further info. If asked. or needed..

Thx.. :)

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and have you emailed hp with relevant info...they should be able to help you...and as stated above is the camera showing in device manager if it is roll back the drivers or uninstall the camera AND drivers and run crapcleaner and crapcleaner reg scan...then reboot

@ HX1. I have seen two laptops with the same problem. One was Toshiba and the other was a hp. Both had genuine windows 7 home premium x64.

I managed to solve the problem for the hp laptop. The webcam installs as plug and play and no amount of getting the latest drivers will help.

Believe me I have done it all.

Check it in device manager. If its not shown so it won't. Check the cable as I looked at he cable and there was the problem.

Best solution would be to order a new webcam with the same size and specification online meaning it should fit in your laptop.

You can also get it from a repairing shop.

Be concious of the size and the type of cable connecting the webcam as different brands have different style of cables

This is probably what I will do.. I will probably start disassembling the laptop soon.. ( if I can stop using it .. :P ) I sit it up on something so I can type easier and have dropped it a few times.. I think I may have jarred the connection loose.. I have seen the same problem with my NOKIA Power Keyboard.. The connections are taped on.. in some cases without clips to keep them in place.. and they come loose .. The device quits working until you open it and plug it back in.. Thinking this might just be the problem..

It was as I thought.. Still wondering how to find out what to order.. havent fow any indicators for model yet on the camera.. Just in case..

Tried to post yesterday but it wasn't happening for whatever reason.. ;P

@HX1. If it worked previously before you dropped it. So the cable might be disconnected. But look in device manager. If the webcam shows there so it will work. Hope it helps

Install a different hard drive and reinstall the original OS to check it not a software issue

Buy a cheap Logitech or similar USB camera to use with ur lappy and disable the built in cam/mic via Device Manager or better yet in the CMOS settings if available.

Archived