Mozilla’s self-destruct course continues: major add-on compatibility changes announced

212eta

Mozilla announced major upcoming changes to Firefox add-ons on the official Add-ons Blog today.

These changes affect add-on developers and Firefox users alike, and will have a major effect on

add-on compatibility and permissions.

The four major changes that Mozilla mentions explicitly in the announcement are:

-add-on validation and signing,

-the multi-process architecture Electrolysis,

-the implementation of a new extension API WebExtensions,

and

-the deprecation of XPCOM and XUL based add-ons.

Mozilla’s self-destruct course continues: major add-on compatibility changes announced (ghacks)

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a new API is always good. i suppose XPCOM and XUL are deprecated because they're part of the API now. (i haven't seen it yet) as it is now, XUL addons are more of a hack than a proper addon.

Only people who already make add-ons for chrome will benefit from this . They announced this so developers can start making them the chrome way but I may only use 2 that they have for Chrome. And every since they announced add-on signing most of my add-ons have not been updating since they were signed in May. Developers are not updating as it is unless they have too .So when 12-18 months from now gets here . All most all add-ons will be broke and people left on Firefox will use Chrome ones . You will have to stay with and old browser just to use most old ones because there will be no need to use updated Firefox it will be Firefox Chrome just another Chrome browser with a different name . There signing there own death warrant . Because anyone left using it will be using it because of the name and not of because of whats under the hood.

I was a proud Firefox user, telling everyone to use it.

Not anymore.

They want to be Chromefox?

I don't want it.

They change the look i like, still have memory leek...

and this addon signing make many addon obsolete...and not working.

Firefox as it is, is not stable enough to compete in the long run.

On many systems it crashes when opening a big number of tabs.

So they have to change, starting somewhere.

Firefox as it is, is not stable enough to compete in the long run.

On many systems it crashes when opening a big number of tabs.

So they have to change, starting somewhere.

u quite right matie (about stability) but show me any better alternative.Chrome or chrome-based ones arn't mine.what's left?Opera? tried,same crap but less of an addons. Lunascape....? seems a browser (any of them) is just a part of the problem.

staying with Mozilla,at least for now.

all above imo as usually.

staying with Mozilla, at least, for now.

all above imo as usually.

You're on my mind. ;)

hope-always?

IMO, the central problem is that the browser has become the 'universal app' - one size to fit all & to do everything with.

In a word: FAIL.

Firefox has its faults for certain - but at least it wasn't lobotomized into chrome - until now.

Palemoon and K-Meleon still remain viable options IMO - but maybe they'll get de-brained as well ??

When it gets so I have no choice left except for some hoggy, lobotomized chrome-clone for either windows or Linux, I already know what to do...it is a very simple problem to solve.

I will restrict my browsing to something Android based - either a larger screened device with it, or use it in a VM.

This is not a battle that I choose to join into.

If the Firefox folks wish to kill it off by chrome-izing it to oblivion then I will just become an ex-Firefox user, that's all.

I bet lots of folks will be looking for a real browser when this killing stroke takes hold.

Archived