Laptop display blackout

rudrax

I have a Sony vaio E-series notebook. Today morning I worked on it and when I was finished I put it on the sleep mode as always. When I came back and wanted to awake it by pressing the "Enter" key, the power LED gets ON but the screen was pitch black. I waited a while but then I restarted. After restart, same problem - just the power LED glows and the screen is pitch black (not even the OEM logo shows up) and the fan spins very fast (system heats up too).

Can anyone give me an idea about what could the problem be?

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

faulty video card driver? :unsure:

Ballistic Gelatin

Possibly a bad cable or connection between the display and video card or motherboard.

Remove the power cord and battery, then press and hold the power button down for 30 seconds, reconnect the AC only and try. If you still do not see the system posting you have a problem. You could try to connect an external monitor if possible to determine if it is the mother board or display.

and the fan spins very fast (system heats up too)...... did you check to see if the cooling vents are plugged up with dust/hair and other debris...if so give them a good cleaning and see if that helps

It can be one of this options:

- cable between MB and display failed.

- if you have a non intel video gpu, it may need a reballing... but that's not a permanent solution.

- if no sound is made when you start up your lap and the fans are full speed, may be BIOS.

- the same as above but, it may be MB.

Hope it's none of these.

Good luck!

someone there

Try to connect your laptop to an external monitor .. If you see the display, it must be faulty screen ... if not

then you have to investigate:

1- Ram

2- CPU

3- Display driver

4- Motherboard

Archived