Mozilla Firefox 40.0 Beta 1

jalaffa

Firefox is the award winning next generation browser from Mozilla. Firefox empowers you to browse faster, more safely, and more efficiently than with any other browser. Make the switch today - Firefox imports your Favorites, settings and other information, so you have nothing to lose. Stop annoying popup ads in their tracks with Firefox's built in popup blocker. View more than one web page in a single window with this time saving feature. Open links in the background so that they're ready for viewing when you're ready to read them. Built with your security in mind, Firefox keeps your computer safe from malicious spyware by not loading harmful ActiveX controls. A comprehensive set of privacy tools keep your online activity your business.

Thanks to sternog for the update.

Download

• Replies 28
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn - they set DuckDuckGo as the default search pimp (without my consent.) :angry:

Damn - they set DuckDuckGo as the default search pimp (without my consent.) :angry:

How is that a bad thing? ;)

why the heck they don't release 64bit version

all betas were had 64 bit version but in final version no 64bit

Well it may or may not be a bad thing for Home Users or Pros. tending to just a handful of computers. However, for SysAdmins (like me with hundreds of client machines,) this arbitrary action from Mozilla spells days of unnecessary toil, deploying a new regime of blocks & tweaks for DuckDuckGo after undoing the extensive mods. made to the Google encrypted search pages.

On second thoughts, after having used DuckDuckGo over the past few hours of posting my previous response - when compared to my encrypted Google search . . . . . . . . DuckDuckGo sucks (returns lesser hits than Google did, for me.) Nevertheless, undoing what Mozilla did is still going to cost, in time. :(

The add-on signing drive has started rearing its ugly head - most of the addons are displaying the warning, ". . . . . . . . could not be verified for use with Firefox. Proceed with caution." A5qMhta.gif

Seems signing of addons want be as bad as I thought that addons like RAS witch has a full version outside of AMO will still be able get add-on signed at github.

https://github.com/dillbyrne/random-agent-spoofer/issues/228

But if you're using some addon that's old that's no longer developed and not signed you're screwed . Also what does add-ons like the one IDM uses plain to do.?

And how long tell AMO starts pulling addons they dont want you to have like Chrome store does?

Once version 42 Beta /Stable hits they remove the ability from about:config preference xpinstall.signatures.required from all future stable /betas and there will not be a way to undo it . Just like when Chrome removes stuff from its flags .

Firefox 40: Firefox warns about signatures but doesn't enforce them.
Firefox 41: Firefox will have a preference that allows signature enforcement to be disabled.
Firefox 42: Release and Beta versions of Firefox will not allow unsigned extensions to be installed, with no override.

If implemented on ESR, the first version to support signing would be Firefox ESR 45. The current plan is to have ESR work like 40, with a preference that can turn off enforcement, but that may change in the
AMO) add-ons, submission and signing are active, but haven't been announced as bugs are identified and resolved.

What are my options if I want to install unsigned extensions in Firefox?

• The Developer Edition and Nightly versions of Firefox will have a setting to disable signature checks. There will also be special unbranded versions of Release and Beta that will have this setting, so that add-on developers can work on their add-ons without having to sign every build.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Addons/Extension_Signing

I geuss ill switch to unbraned versions so I dont have use devopler and nightly :unsure:

why the heck they don't release 64bit version

all betas were had 64 bit version but in final version no 64bit

Final version of 64bit is scheduled for november, they are still fixing bugs.

Well it may or may not be a bad thing for Home Users or Pros. tending to just a handful of computers. However, for SysAdmins (like me with hundreds of client machines,) this arbitrary action from Mozilla spells days of unnecessary toil, deploying a new regime of blocks & tweaks for DuckDuckGo after undoing the extensive mods. made to the Google encrypted search pages.

On second thoughts, after having used DuckDuckGo over the past few hours of posting my previous response - when compared to my encrypted Google search . . . . . . . . DuckDuckGo sucks (returns lesser hits than Google did, for me.) Nevertheless, undoing what Mozilla did is still going to cost, in time. :(

Just created a new Google Encrypted search engine (without using any add-on) — click the following image for more details:—

K3b8Fyx.png

The add-on signing drive has started rearing its ugly head - most of the addons are displaying the warning, ". . . . . . . . could not be verified for use with Firefox. Proceed with caution." A5qMhta.gif

The good news is that despite the warning, all those unsigned (and modded by self) add-ons continue to work fully (exactly as expected of Firefox.) F3h9xqz.gif

It already was explained by Mozilla they are going to work in version 40 and in 41 you have to change it in about:config preference xpinstall.signatures to make it work and version 42 its not work at all in beta or stable unless you use unbranded version . :lol:

My post is being reproduced for the benefit of blind folks!

The good news is that despite the warning, all those unsigned (and modded by self) add-ons continue to work fully (exactly as expected of Firefox.) F3h9xqz.gif

You will be able to install and use unsigned xpi just fine in ver 40 except it warns about signatures I knew this already and never even had to install it yet

Firefox 40: Firefox warns about signatures but doesn't enforce them.
Firefox 41: Firefox will have a preference that allows signature enforcement to be disabled.
Firefox 42: Release and Beta versions of Firefox will not allow unsigned extensions to be installed, with no override.

Its still a few months away tell they enforce it fully . :rolleyes:

Exactly the point - this is a topic about the V40 (not the V41 or the V42.)

When future releases will arrive, some of us will still manage to to celebrate our success - while the Grumblers moan and groan, with negativity.

I hoping that Mozilla requires other developers to start using unbranded versions and folks off the Firefox dont have it all . Did you try change config preference xpinstall.signatures.required to false maybe the warning will go away in 40 beta ?

The "xpinstall.whitelist.required",true and "xpinstall.signatures.required",false are pretty much old tweaks - I have a wide array of path-breaking hacks based on the multi-layer philosophy.

Needless to mention - most of those mods. continue to remain unavailable on the net.

Well I got to go I never had to force addons in years since like they 1st added rapid release cycle they always had some kind of addon to let you force old addons in new versions so never needed to modify xpi but when ver 42 comes its going not be no way to override unsigned addons . Even in Chrome you can install unpacked addons before they are posted in the store .

I read about unbranded builds at Reddit interesting read but its nothing but speculation tell the day they show up in the FTP everyone has a opinion about something that dont be exist yet . :lol:

Unbranded version - what is it exactly ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/39ai2w/unbranded_version_what_is_it_exactly/

I will worry about it when v42 stable gets here in few more months . :showoff:

I am optimistic (as usual) and beaming with confidence (as usual) that some of us will prevail (as usual.)

Archived