Sandboxie 4.20

jalaffa

When you browse the Web, changes occur to your computer system. Some of these might be harmful, like the unsolicited installation of malware. When you use Sandboxie to protect your browsing session, it catches all these changes just as the browser is about to apply them into your computer system. Sandboxie does record these changes on behalf of the browser, but it records them in a special isolated folder, called the sandbox. Thus, with Sandboxie, you can browse the Web securely while still keeping all your browser's functionality for active and dynamic content, such as javascript and ActiveX. All undesired side effects can be easily undone.

Thanks to master yoda for the update.

Download

• Replies 10
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they're waiting on RTM first. Sandboxie plays tricks with low level system calls, so it's already easy enough to break stable versions of Windows. Windows 10 code is still changing on an hourly basis.

Sandboxie can exploded as showed here .

http://labs.bromium.com/2013/07/23/application-sandboxes-a-pen-testers-perspective/

If it can be cracked it can be hacked.

it took years for them to say the x64 version was safe enough to use and I read somewhere it was just told it was safe so they could please the end user and keep selling it.

Since I been using x64 for 5 years I've ran scans with all kinds of different anti-malware and never found nothing but false positives . My real time protection has always done a good job since being on x64 I see no need to add another program that's just going eat up more resources. :)

Yeah, for a while there (and perhaps still), Sandboxie actually provided more protection on 32-bit Windows, since it wasn't crippled by PatchGuard.

I wouldn't say this software is entirely useless though, because most attacks are going to focus on easier targets.

Yeah, for a while there (and perhaps still), Sandboxie actually provided more protection on 32-bit Windows, since it wasn't crippled by PatchGuard.

I wouldn't say this software is entirely useless though, because most attacks are going to focus on easier targets.

If you tested malwares and stuff it would be much safer to open them in sandboxie but who would be testing malwares in a real machine were you do you're work on ? That kind stuff should be done in VM . Some antivirus come with a sandbox some even come with anti exploit . I use and Antivirus ,Firewall , Browser Security addons and conman sense in real time . And I have a few other anti malware programs for on demand . I dont want to go overkill .

Sandboxie can be used as a security MEASURE, BUT NOT "IN PLACE" of other security programs.

If you subscribe to the notion that there is no such thing as "100%" security, which most security experts think, like Steve Gibson, and I agree, then a "multilayered" approach is the best.

For example, your first layer may be a secure OS, Make sure it stays updated. Your second layer may be a secure browser, like Firefox or Opera, (all this is arguable BTW). Your next layer might be an antivirus and a firewall. An additional layer might be an antispyware program. The next layer may be a safe link indicator, like WOT or SA. The next layer might be a Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS program), or a read-only specially designed hosts file. The next layer might be a Limited User Account (LUA).

The final layer to all this might be Sandboxie.

You don't necessarily need all those things . . . indeed, there is a point where it's really overkill, especially if your security measures restrict things like your browsing so much that you might as well not even be on the Internet. For example, I use Windows XP with all the latest security patches (still not as secure as Linux), Firefox and the NoScript add on, an antivirus, antispyware, firewall, WOT,

an MVPS hosts file, and then Sandboxie. Between the extremes of caution and blissful ignorance, there is some comfort point, which will be different for everyone. I choose to run some risks, if they entail compensatory advantages, while avoiding others.

Bottom line, the only protection against phishing, forged Web pages, downloading malware, and other threats is the technology located between the user's ears.

But after doing the ones that become before witch i do my av has hips and anti exploit . I would condenser it overkill. I could see if I was still using XP x86 maybe id want all the protection I could get. But I been using Windows 7 and 8.1 x64 for 5 years now and been fine with out it . Why should I add it to my agenda now?

I could see if I was still using XP x86 maybe id want all the protection I could get.

Maybe. Though I'm not even running real-time AV currently. I have a few on-demand tools on hand that use zero background resources.

I could see if I was still using XP x86 maybe id want all the protection I could get.

Maybe. Though I'm not even running real-time AV currently. I have a few on-demand tools on hand that use zero background resources.

Well maybe its just me , but I had been using windows xp since 2001 and I seen a lot virus and malware come and go over the years . When I ran XP i used both real time anti-malware and a AV. When you let your guard down is the best way to get infected . x86 O/S many rootkits and stuff can live in that environment . but now days AV offer both protection against malware and virus so its the same any more . 1 program can do what 3 or 4 use to do. ;) But really there's a lot of paranoia out there now days every since the Sony hack . Always Researchers posting exploits and stuff and giving it to the media after they been patched or right before they get patched ..ones that never done anything in the wild before. :)

Most of the time when you read of one that being exploited in the wild its ether from

A. flash (witch I always keep turned off when not using it witch is 90% of the time.)

b. Java (witch I dont use any more)

c. Java Script . ( Witch I use Adblocker with malware filter list by disconnect ) And I use Policeman to block unneeded scripts

d. emails (I delete all emails from anyone i dont know ).

Yeah I agree with all of that.

People like you and me have the benefit of making informed decisions. We might refer to it as common sense, but in reality, many people on the Internet don't have it. They're the ones in danger.

Most of the time when you read of one that being exploited in the wild its ether from

A. flash (witch I always keep turned off when not using it witch is 90% of the time.)

c. Java Script . ( Witch I use Adblocker with malware filter list by disconnect ) And I use Policeman to block unneeded scripts

So from your perspective it's better to not use certain media, use a bunch of other protection apps and call this useless by not adding it in the mix you've made. Yup, that seems smart... but see here, some of us do use flash, java and js.

And the link you've posted above some of the points are not related to what sandboxie does. For instance I could always disable resources for a sandbox and some of the points would not be easy. I mostly use it to prevent apps from spreading their s#it all over my registry and system directory. In the process, if there's a rogue app, it helps, even on x64.

So from your perspective it's better to not use certain media, use a bunch of other protection apps and call this useless by not adding it in the mix you've made. Yup, that seems smart... but see here, some of us do use flash, java and js.

And the link you've posted above some of the points are not related to what sandboxie does. For instance I could always disable resources for a sandbox and some of the points would not be easy. I mostly use it to prevent apps from spreading their s#it all over my registry and system directory. In the process, if there's a rogue app, it helps, even on x64.

Some people use Java because some developers still poorly code there apps to use it . Other than that there's no need for it on the computer websites no longer use Java they wised up to that along time ago . Firefox disable the Java plugin by default . I use flash still but only on a site or app that require it . but i keep it turned off when not using it. I dont care that you use sandboxie I'm just saying its not for me . That's what portable apps are for to keep stuff from getting in the registry .

But really is removing or preventing stuff from the registry necessary unless you were blacklisted using pirated software ?

In reality, registry entries aren’t a drag on your computer’s performance. The registry is a massive database containing hundreds of thousands of entries and individual registry entries are fairly tiny. Even removing a few thousand entries won’t make an appreciable dent in the size of your registry.

Now, if our computers only had a tiny amount of memory or an extremely slow hard disk, there could be some value to shrinking the registry a bit. But this will be completely unnoticeable on computers in use today. We don’t live in the days of Windows 95 anymore. The Windows registry has also become more robust as Windows itself evolved from Windows 95 to Windows 7 and 8.

Archived