Replace Seagate 2.5 momentus 7200.4 serial ATA disk 360gb

vitorio

My hard disk is almost full and I need to replace it by a larger hard disk capacity.

My preference is for Seagate. That is the one I have a gave me no problems for various years.

The specification of the actual disk is:

Seagate 7200.4 serial ATA disk 320gb

speed 2.13.ghz

cache 3mb

os windows Home Premium 64 bit

Processor Intel core I3

My PC is:

HP Pavilion DV6 2150US

RPM 7200

memory 8GB

Battery Lithium-lon

HD 360GB

I am planning to replace it with a 500GB or 7000 GB disk.

When search the internet there are some options like:

Seagate momentus

Seagate Barracuda

Different generations of 7200 RPM (i.e. 7200.4, etc.)

Could you recommend me one to replace it and give the reasons why you choose it, please.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All brands are equally good . . . . . . . . . . . . or, bad - my personal choice apart from the technicalities, is WD for their after sales service (this might differ in your area.)

On technical grounds, though - there is no other single piece of hardware upgrade, that beats an SSD (in case you find it feasible in terms of financial consideration.) ;)

All brands are equally good . . . . . . . . . . . . or, bad - my personal choice apart from the technicalities, is WD for their after sales service (this might differ in your area.)

On technical grounds, though - there is no other single piece of hardware upgrade, that beats an SSD (in case you find it feasible in terms of financial consideration.) ;)

How I know if my old PC can use a SSD?

Thanks for the help.

couple weeks ago discussed this question with a serviceman from Lenovo official.his opinion (very hard btw.) was WD blue o red.anyway - decide to u.

my personal opinion is SSD + if u need a storage for digital garbage-optibay.

u can use SSD with any hardware,speed only will be different ,depends of SATA2 or 3 u hv.

Thanks for the help.

Seeing that you are using an Intel core i3 (and assuming that you must surely have a matching motherboard,) your existing hardware would be good to go with an SSD. F3h9xqz.gif

btw.if u'll decide to purchase a SSD read how to use first .means disabling of a page file,automatic maintenance etc.it's important.

Thanks for the help.

HDD and SSD use the same interface, that's no problem at all.

BTW I've switched the HDD of my old notebook (Toshiba Satellite A300-276-Pentium Core 2) for a brand new Toshiba SSD Q Series Pro - 256Gb (Sata III) and works like a charm, the SSD reduced the boot time to less than half.

SSD is def the way to go if you've got the budget and don't need tons of storage. Otherwise, TB disks here < $50 now-a-days. A good way to go would be get a SSD for your primary and using your old 360 for archival and older data storage (esp pictures & Video which eats up drives). You may have to do a little messin' around to move those big files off the old 360gb so you can clone over to an affordable 256gb SSD (around $79). Otherwise, if ya got the budget, just get a 512 SSD.

btw.if u'll decide to purchase a SSD read how to use first .means disabling of a page file,automatic maintenance etc.it's important.

"disabling of a page file" ??? that's new to me, where the hell did you heard about that ??? and, btw Windows will never be same...

The most important about SSD is to verify (within the OS) if TRIM is enabled, read http://lifehacker.com/5640971/check-if-trim-is-enabled-for-your-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7or http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/39569-trim-support-ssd-check-enable-disable.html

Do not DEFRAG the SSD ever, there's no need to, it's not a HDD.

In a desktop, assuming that you have a SSD (boot disk) and at least one HDD set the page file, temp and tmp folder to the HDD this will increase the performance & life of the SSD, read http://superuser.com/questions/237813/how-can-i-move-the-page-file-to-another-physical-disk-locationand http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/change-location-of-temp-files-folder-to-another/19f13330-dde1-404c-aa27-a76c0b450818.

This is all you need to know about SSD, cheers.

"disabling of a page file" ??? that's new to me, where the hell did you heard about that ??? and, btw Windows will never be same...

check this out (8gb of ram)

9yaysk8nhfts.jpg

works like a charm more than 2 years.

that's new to me

sure it's not only one.

I am planning to replace it with a 500GB or 7000 GB disk.

Could you recommend me one to replace it and give the reasons why you choose it, please.

I recommend Western Digital Black (7200rpm and 5 years guarantee) or Red (variable rpm 3 years quarantee). Will cost about the same (except RE, Raid Enterprise, another option). Red could live longer, despite that guarantee, because it's especially for NAS environments. Black is for performance.

For anything other than Windows 8.x or 10 combined with a drive larger than 2TB, you will have to configure the drive to change the block size. Otherwise Windows will not recognize the space larger than 2TB. Western Digital has a tool for that and their special version of Acronis can do it as well.

SSD can be trimmed with O&O defrag. Samsung SSD is best at the moment. Personally I wouldn't buy (a big) SSD for an Intel core I3.

Possibly go for 2TB internal drive and 4TB external drive (the block size issue is already solved in external WD drives).

check this out (8gb of ram)

9yaysk8nhfts.jpg

works like a charm more than 2 years.

that's new to me

sure it's not only one.

What's the point of disabling the page file? I'm with 16 GB of ram and got only 2432 MB allocated.

BTW it's not recommended to disable it - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7

post-75239-0-38938500-1434593056_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

This ^ I would suggest buying a smaller SSD to boot your OS off of then a mechanical one for storage.

Archived