ASUS M5A97 motherboard core unlocker

mona

Is there anybody here who has unblocked hidden cores using AMD motherboard : ASUS M5A97 ?

I would like to receive confirmation that it is possible from the person who really did it..

I have heard some rumors that it was possible when ASUS M5A97 mobo reached the market for the first time. However I know for sure that in revision 2 of this board unblocking cores functionality got removed completely from BIOS

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, I did it twice (that sepecific MOBO model) a few years ago and they still work alright, but I changed the stock CPU cooler in order to mantain de CPU cooler than normal.

Unlocking cores stresses the CPU a lot and if not well cooled, it'll fail.

AFAIK the unlock function depends on the BIOS, not the revision of the MOBO.

Luck!

@mona, do it only if it's time to get a new PC :duh:

@mona, do it only if it's time to get a new PC :duh:

Rudrax, don't worry. Core unlocking is very easy procedure, if it's only available as an option in BIOS.

I built my PC six years ago (June 2009).

Phenoms II 710/720 (x3 cores) were the latest AMD processors that time; socket AM3, series 7... of chipsets and DDR3 were relatively new as well.

I bought Phenom II 710 and one of the first motherboards on the market to have the ability to unlock hidden cores (Asrock M3A790GXH/128M). With 2 clicks I changed my 3 core processor into 4 core one.

My comp was working fine in this state for six full years.

.... until one day lately, when it turned off suddenly and unexpectedly while I was watching some YT video.

Couldn't turn it on again. Opened the case but it looked completely dead. So my first suspect was my Corsair PSU.

Did a paperclip test and PSU passed it (fan was spinning). So I came to the idea that it's rather mobo that must be broken and needs to be replaced.

[EDIT]

After 6 years are gone - I want my new mobo to have new features :

• UEFI bios (need it since my HDD is 3TB,
  • SATA3 instead of SATA2 (my HDD interface is SATA3 now)
  • [optionally : USB3 (don't use any USB3 devices atm, but in case)

Core unlocking is an "old" feature for me, but obviously I need it too for my Phenom II

ASUS M5A97 motherboard has got everything I need. But buying it is a little bit tricky, since bios of the most recent version (rev.2) is stripped from Core Unlocker (cruitial for me). So it's necessary to find the older version of the board.

Yup, I did it twice (that sepecific MOBO model) a few years ago and they still work alright, but I changed the stock CPU cooler in order to mantain de CPU cooler than normal.

Unlocking cores stresses the CPU a lot and if not well cooled, it'll fail.

AFAIK the unlock function depends on the BIOS, not the revision of the MOBO.

Luck!

Thanks for your info.

Yesterday I thought I knew a place where I could buy a previous (initial) version of ASUS M5A97 motherboard (containing bios with Core Unlocker) , But today I learned it was nothing more but a bullshit. So if I want this board I can buy it only in the latest version (rev.2) WITHOUT Core Unlocker.

And here comes my question : would it be possible to downgrade bios version to that one containing unlocker ?

Does this kind of scenario make any sense at all to you ?

(for more info please read my reply to rudrax's post)

For starters, sometimes ASUS 'hides' the unlock feature but you can find it after playing with all the features. Sometimes they change the name of the feature...

If the latest BIOS doesn't have the unlock feature, reflash it with older versions until you get what you want...

Remember, after a reflash, do it again and then play with the BIOS features.

And do it via EZ-Flash (that's the BIOS utility, isn't it?).

Good Luck.

For starters, sometimes ASUS 'hides' the unlock feature but you can find it after playing with all the features. Sometimes they change the name of the feature...

If the latest BIOS doesn't have the unlock feature, reflash it with older versions until you get what you want...

Good Luck.

ASUS bios WITH unlocker

iTKVkJk.jpg

... and after removing this functionality

fM0aGJi.jpg

Here are 2 other confirmations for Core Unlocker existance in initial version of this mobo (found on the internet) :

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/716107-Asus-M5A97-ACC-question

http://www.overclock.net/t/1078910/can-the-asus-m5a97-unlock-cores/10

Don't have handy links to evidence about unlocker being removed in Revision 2.

Please note : bios of ASUS M5A97 R(evision)2 have NEVER had Core Unlocker.

So I wonder if I can reflash the original bios of ASUS M5A97 R(evision)2 with the version from slightly different motherboard : ASUS M5A97 ? Is it safe enough ?

ASUS M5A97

overview

specifications

ASUS M5A97 R2.0

overview

specifications

There are also some ASUS M5A97 R(evision)2 features not present in previous version. (Precision Tweaker 2, DirectKey, Remote GO!, USB BIOS Flashback).

Would they stop working after bios downgrading ?

Archived