Voltage when charging an MS Surface

Chancer

G'day,

I have an MS Surface Pro 2, i7 8G 500ssd - I love it :-)

I am going on a road trip on a motorcycle in a couple of months and there will be times when I do not have access to mains power.

I plan to take the Surface as I may need to do some work whilst away.

I have a lead that terminates in a plug that fits the Surface.

The mains charger for the Surface produces 12 volts.

My motorcycle is 12 volt, but the voltage fluctuates between about 10 and 14 volt.

My question is - can I safely charge the Surface directly from my motorcycle?

Clearly if I get it wrong it could be an expensive mistake.

For anybody who answers, if you have any research references that would be helpful and appreciated.

Cheers

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would use a dc/ac converter to be safe. Below is the specifications from a quality power inverter

Specifications

box.gifOutput Wave Form Modified Sinewave box.gifNo-load draw < 0.7 amp (12V DC) box.gifEfficiency Up to 90% box.gifInput voltage range 10-15.5 VDC box.gifOver voltage shutdown over 15.5 VDC box.gifUnder voltage shutdown under 10 VDC box.gifLow voltage alarm Audible at 10.6 VDC box.gifOverload shutdown Yes box.gifThermal shutdown Yes box.gifShort circuit shutdown Yes box.gifAC receptacle Two 3-Prong box.gifWarranty 2 year box.gifInverter weight 5.53 lbs box.gifDimensions (W x H x D) 5.59 x 2.72 x 14.92 in.

I do have an inverter - which is my fall back provision - but it means more to carry.

Chancer go look at

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Amacrox-Mobile-75-AX075-TACK1-Laptop-Car-Charger-1A-USB-DC-75W-19V-3-68A-/400860710836?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d552907b4

just need to fit a cigarette lighter socket which is a very small job BUT RUN YOUR ENGINE while doing it bike battery very small Bike alternator like wise if you don't run the engine whilst charging could end up with flat battery.

Only just up the road from me a few miles

Fair enough thing is I knew there were the items around it was just a case of finding them, thing is mobile charging is a heavy drain so as I said make sure the engine is running i.e. while mobile thing is your 12 volt system probably runs around 14.4V and its a case of smoothing and "Governing" it to the right voltage.

Happy travels

Fair enough thing is I knew there were the items around it was just a case of finding them, thing is mobile charging is a heavy drain so as I said make sure the engine is running i.e. while mobile thing is your 12 volt system probably runs around 14.4V and its a case of smoothing and "Governing" it to the right voltage.

Happy travels

Thanks.

I will only charge with the engine running, but it is 1600cc with a battery to match!

The bike also has clever electronics (so I'm told) that shut off power to the socket if the battery charge drops near the amount it needs to start the bike.

One other thing I almost forgot about but from what you said it should not be a problem a lot of sockets get very hot if used for protracted periods and if mounted in plastic can cause melting, a friend of mine ended up making a separate "Charging socket" that was mounted in metal and had a thermal cut out (bugger knows how he did that) but he had a Charger for a Battery / 12 volt Tv set which was a bit of a monster back then (don't forget I am old 65 nearly 66 )

P.S. I still have a full Bike licence as well back in the day I rode my BSA M20 with watsonian sidecar out to Berlin when I was in the Army since I was military I had to go through the Russian check point at Helmstadt should have seen the Young Russian Officer face when he tried to start it (Opps forgot to tell him about the Valve lifter eheheheheh)

then you will probably remember the BSA M20 btu for those reading who have no idea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSA_M20

and for those who have no idea what a "Watsonian" Side car is the one I had looked like this one

http://roadcarvin.com/photos/2008-lotm-1957-watsonian-sidecar/1395

And I slept in mine just off the main road in a Tank suit in December and woke up with six inches of snow covering the bike.

Once upon a time I had a Lambretta with sidecar - that was scary to ride, handled like a demented pig

AGH!!!!! you wasn't a "Mod" was ya??

always been a "Rocker" myself.

(see all the kids around here ducking as this fly's over their heads heehehheehhe)

I was, Parka and the trimmings.

Now I've migrated to a 1600cc BMW via and 1100cc Honda.

Only in the dry weather though. I keep a car for rainy days :-)

Don't worry I now drive a Mondeo Estate suits disabled Me and the Dogs fine

Archived