Ram Bus Effective Clock/Upgrading

HX1

Okay I have an HP Laptop... it has 4 GB RAM.. I bought an 8 GB RAM Module DDR3 1600 128 204 pin...and plan to upgrade.. I read around that when buying RAM, the Effective clock speed is important and can cause instability. All of this information was targeted toward Mac Systems.

AIDA 64 Business Edition tells me that I have a Samsung 4GB RAM Module that has an effective clock speed of 1600 however it tells me that I am supposed to have two slots and both bus speeds are 1066.. I opened the system to take a look after I ordered the RAM, and I found that a place exists for the RAM but the hardware to mount that side is missing..

The Samsung module was put in by the manufacturer.. it is an HP 15-f023wm...

So I am wondering if the replacement module should match the bus effective clock and not the module in the system to improve stability with the 8GB..

..also thinking about overclocking the Processor.. though I am not for sure about overclocking a laptop without extra cooling capabilities.

UPDATE: The module would not allow the system to boot... I am guessing now that the false module or missing hardware for the second chip says it can take 8GB but in two sticks yet not available if done by one.. or it has to do with my question above.

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I am wondering if the replacement module should match the bus effective clock and not the module in the system to improve stability with the 8GB..

i think the clock speed is fine, as the RAM speed should be down-clocked automatically to match your "bus speed" but

The Samsung module was put in by the manufacturer.. it is an HP 15-f023wm...

with reference to your laptop's hardware spec, it uses DDR3L. Mixing DDR3 & DDR3L is no-no, they requires different voltage.

correct me if i'm wrong...

PS: you may receive more reliable and promptly help by posting in tomshardware forum

• 2 weeks later...

That may have been the problem then... I did not previously see the reference to the DDR3L just DDR3 Guess I should look a little harder next time..

Thanks for the input.. ;) Worrying about this thing later... my program archive external HD HOPEFULLY has a fried PCB.. returned and swapped purchases for now...

Archived