[SOLVED] Backup Software: which one?

kowalski215

kowalski215
Hello everybody, I need your help ;)

I do have to find a software that can backup hourly some files (just 3/4 Access Databases, nothing really "large") without deleting the precious backups. It would be great if backups were renamed with date and time (such as "Backup-2015-05-13-15-03-00 or sth like this.)

I've never used a backup software for this kind of stuff before and I'm a bit confused!

Thanks in advance for your help!

smile.gif

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
strikerfox

For me still Acronis true image the best.

:rolleyes: Regards,

Strikerfox

I do have to find a software that can backup hourly some files (just 3/4 Access Databases, nothing really "large") without deleting the pre v ious backups. It would be great if backups were renamed with date and time

Based on what you need your best bet is Cobian Backup or any software for simple file/archive backup, or sync operations , not entire disk images.

I use Cobian myself for scheduled backup of 2-3 files and a folder ...

Its very light on resources (you can install it as a service or simple app) dont know ,, about 15-30 Mb

You can arrange your backup scheme anyway you want.. Give it a try.... :smartass:

If you are an Advanced User - Acronis for backup and Syncovery Pro for file synchronization. F3h9xqz.gif

If you are not an Advanced User - please ignore my post (it could cause you much grief.) :think:

Thanks! Which is the lightest one?

Lowest footprint is never a factor when contemplating a backup solution simply because most software built for this function come shipped (additionally) with a BootCD (nothing lighter than a BootCD - no?) B)

Those who persist in employing an installation, instead - stand the risk of coming to grief.

kowalski215
Lowest footprint is never a factor when contemplating a backup solution

It is when you just have to backup 3 files whose weight is 3MB LOL

. . . . . . . . . . . . 3 files and that, too - with a weight of 3 MB? 1VjjZ4q.gif

Airstream_Bill

. . . . . . . . . . . . 3 files and that, too - with a weight of 3 MB? 1VjjZ4q.gif

The size of 1 Picture with a smartphone.

Airstream_Bill
I do have to find a software that can backup hourly some files (just 3/4 Access Databases, nothing really "large") without deleting the precious backups. It would be great if backups were renamed with date and time (such as "Backup-2015-05-13-15-03-00 or sth like this.)
I've never used a backup software for this kind of stuff before and I'm a bit confused!
smile.gif

Hello, Well why do you not create a BAT file. example mybackup.bat and have it copy the 3 or 4 files to whatever Folder you want and then Schedule it to backup that folder to Onedrive or Google plus or to another drive that you have. That would be a simple way to do it. You would even learn hot to write a simple bat file. It would not be a complicated one. Just a suggestion.

kowalski215
smile.gif

Hello, Well why do you not create a BAT file. example mybackup.bat and have it copy the 3 or 4 files to whatever Folder you want and then Schedule it to backup that folder to Onedrive or Google plus or to another drive that you have. That would be a simple way to do it. You would even learn hot to write a simple bat file. It would not be a complicated one. Just a suggestion.

Yep. I solved creating a bat like this one

set source=C:\Users\admin\Dropbox\Files\Currentset dest=C:\Users\admin\Dropbox\Files\Backupmd "%dest%\%date:/=-% %time::=.%"xcopy "%source%" "%dest%\%date:/=-% %time::=.%" /s

set source=C:\Users\admin\Dropbox\Files\Currentset dest=C:\Users\admin\Dropbox\Files\Backup

Just an heads up - it is advisable to store backup on any other partition other than system. ;)

acronis.... and as stated by dcs 18 if you do not have a second drive or a usb drive to store your back up....you better get one

kowalski215

As far as the "another device" topic is concerned: I'm not worried about losing the files. These files are goona be used by different people at the same time. That's why I need backup: I don't wont to lose data due to contemporary edit. It's a bit crazy, I know LOL.

BTW, Acronis is cool, just installed it.

SOLVED ;)

• 3 weeks later...
set source=C:\Users\admin\Dropbox\Files\Currentset dest=C:\Users\admin\Dropbox\Files\Backup

Just an heads up - it is advisable to store backup on any other partition other than system. ;)

wouldn't it be better to store on any partition that is not on the SAME physical drive the file is on and also not the system partition?

wouldn't it be better to store on any partition that is not on the SAME physical drive the file is on and also not the system partition?

Yes, it would be better if available - however, not feasible to the majority (like me) who generally possess only one physical drive (on the computer.)

However, my personal preference is to backup to the secondary (logical) non-system partition and then immediately synchronize that backup onto other offline storage. :)

Archived