question about vga card and motherboard

software182

software182

ok, i have a problem and it's realy weird. my ext vga card ( gtx 660 ) cant display in my monitor, ( it shows "no signal" message ) but my onboard vga works with no problem.

i thought the problem was my psu but i think it's not the problem cause i already own new psu ( corsair cx 600 ).

ive also tested my vga card in other computer, it works flawlessly !

could this be a problem with my motherboard ?

ps : i own a very old mobo, gigabyte h55m-s2 series.

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

could this be a problem with my motherboard ?

Yes, the possibility is present - that would be bad news, though (so, let's first consider all other possibilities):--

• Did you try plugging your graphics card into another PCIe slot of your motherboard?
  • Did you try some other kind of cable - HDMI / VGA / DVI (for the connection between your card and the monitor?)

software182

thank you dcs and chancer,

@dcs :

1. it only has 1 slot bro.

2. i only have 1 cable, but if it was the cable, it shouldnt be working too when i put the cable to my onboard graphics.

@chancer :

yes, i have tried everything in bios, enable the pci, pge or pge2 slot in bios

2. i only have 1 cable, but if it was the cable, it shouldnt be working too when i put the cable to my onboard graphics.

Can you try the cable from the other computer?

I remember a somewhat similar case, here. :think:

software182

Can you try the cable from the other computer?

I remember a somewhat similar case, here. :think:

yes and the cable is working

Generally, a graphics card connects to the monitor via 3 different kinds of ports - HDMI / VGA / DVI.

The connecting cable may be working - but, there could likely be a temporary (or, even permanent) issue with the one or more ports (either - on the graphics card side or the monitor.)

BTW, which kind of cable are you using - HDMI / VGA / DVI? In order to troubleshoot, you might need to test out your system with the other 2 remaining kind of cables, too - hopefully, you might be able to borrow them.

In case, the HDMI / VGA / DVI ports are found to be fine - you might have to finally check out your motherboard, on some other rig. h4CvlGL.gif

@chancer :

just to be sure, did you set these?

Init Display First    [PEG]Onboard VGA           [Enable If No Ext PEG]

Disable the onboard vga, it's booting off the onboard VGA and not polling the GTX.

software182

Disable the onboard vga, it's booting off the onboard VGA and not polling the GTX.

I have done this and it didn't work.

@chancer :

just to be sure, did you set these?

Init Display First    [PEG]Onboard VGA           [Enable If No Ext PEG]

Yes i did, i also tested with PEG2

Generally, a graphics card connects to the monitor via 3 different kinds of ports - HDMI / VGA / DVI.

The connecting cable may be working - but, there could likely be a temporary (or, even permanent) issue with the one or more ports (either - on the graphics card side or the monitor.)

BTW, which kind of cable are you using - HDMI / VGA / DVI? In order to troubleshoot, you might need to test out your system with the other 2 remaining kind of cables, too - hopefully, you might be able to borrow them.

In case, the HDMI / VGA / DVI ports are found to be fine - you might have to finally check out your motherboard, on some other rig. h4CvlGL.gif

It's a VGA cable, i lost my DVI / HDMI cable... i have 2 monitors, both works fine with my onboard vga and my VGA cable.

I checked my graphics card in my friend pc and also with the same VGA cable which i have and my graphics card is working

I'm pretty sure the problem could be my motherboard PCIE slot :(

It's really hard to find 1156 socket motherboard these days... maybe i would buy new motherboard & processor 2 months later :(

did the vga work in your motherboard before? or is it new vga?

the main suspect should be your motherboard (the pci ex slot), but afaik the slot is rarely broken (unless it was defect from the start), so i suggest you try another ex-vga, preferably vga that doesnt need additional power from psu.

the second suspect is your psu, you said it's new, so maybe it's defect, warranty should solve this.

It has happened with me sometime.
I replaced the motherboard battery with a new one. (remove your battery and wait 10 minutes, then put it again and see if the signal is back) and make a clean in the memory slots.

Verify if these are ok in the machine.

software182

did the vga work in your motherboard before? or is it new vga?

the main suspect should be your motherboard (the pci ex slot), but afaik the slot is rarely broken (unless it was defect from the start), so i suggest you try another ex-vga, preferably vga that doesnt need additional power from psu.

the second suspect is your psu, you said it's new, so maybe it's defect, warranty should solve this.

Yes it did, it works without a problem.

it's impossible the problem comes from my PSU, as i said earlier, my PSU is brand new and it works without a problem.

clearly the vga does not like the old "hole" :lol:

luls

It has happened with me sometime.
I replaced the motherboard battery with a new one. (remove your battery and wait 10 minutes, then put it again and see if the signal is back) and make a clean in the memory slots.

Verify if these are ok in the machine.

I did this a couple times, i thought the problem was the CMOS battery but it's not.

I had almost same problem before. I Un/Installed my GPU;s New drivers; Rebooted and installed old driver that came with GPU DVD. Afterwards it Reg;s and is still working fine (did update my driver again). Iam using Niv Driver Version 340.52 at the Moment for my Cuda Cores. If I remeber Correctly, before I rebooted, I removed my GPU cleaned the Slot and Replaced it (Just my 2cents ;) )

software182

I had almost same problem before. I Un/Installed my GPU;s New drivers; Rebooted and installed old driver that came with GPU DVD. Afterwards it Reg;s and is still working fine (did update my driver again). Iam using Niv Driver Version 340.52 at the Moment for my Cuda Cores. If I remeber Correctly, before I rebooted, I removed my GPU cleaned the Slot and Replaced it (Just my 2cents ;) )

dude, i have windows 7 ultimate with clean system and i never install any nvidia drivers inside it, how can i install nvidia driver if there's no graphics card in my pc ?

and if i put my gpu to my pc, how can i install it if the monitor doesnt display anything ? :s

looks like the problem comes from hardware not software.

software182

i think i must be patience and use my present rig for now. maybe in july or augst i will buy new pc.

thanks guys for the help :)

• Administrator

One more thing. Did you try another graphics card in your PC. This will give you an idea about your motherboard and it's PCI-E slots.

Wow haven't been on here in for ever!!! "Not that I would have been missed either way"

Had a similar issue with a Asus B85M board I was building for a customer... A bios update did the trick.

It wouldn't detect there was anything in the PCIe slot when the card was dropped in.

If there isn't a bios update available for your board I would recommend re-flashing the same or dropping back 1.

Just make sure the one your dropping back too doesn't make your CPU incompatible. "I have done that" :/

Not saying it's going to fix your issue but it's a option.

• 3 weeks later...

It's really hard to find 1156 socket motherboard these days... maybe i would buy new motherboard & processor 2 months later :(

OK, an electrical fire in my apartment fried my motherboard; which being from the LGA 1155 socket was similar in vintage to yours - was hunting for this mainboard for over 6 months before I just procured it (dirt cheap.)

Was modding my BIOS, today and encountered the same problem which I eventually solved - did you manage to resolve your issue . . . . . . . . or, did you have to purchase a new Motherboard?

software182

OK, an electrical fire in my apartment fried my motherboard; which being from the LGA 1155 socket was similar in vintage to yours - was hunting for this mainboard for over 6 months before I just procured it (dirt cheap.)

Was modding my BIOS, today and encountered the same problem which I eventually solved - did you manage to resolve your issue . . . . . . . . or, did you have to purchase a new Motherboard?

no, i'm still using my old mobo :( and i haven't purchased any new mobo yet :(

i heard some bad things about upgrading BIOS, that's why i don't do that lol

Archived