should i install windows7 64 bit

Karamjit

there is windows7 ultimate (32bit)on my system. previously there was 2gb of RAM. I then decided to get 2gb more RAM. now my system has 4gb ram(two equal ram each 2gb). but my system shows that it is using only 3.48gb. now i am planning to install windows7 ultimate 64 bit. please...please explain what should i do? will it be a wise idea to go on 64 bit architecture to utilize all 4 gb of RAM ?

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely you should upgrade to 64-bit OS. 2 GB of RAM is also enough to work with 64-bit OS, but not recommended as you may use some RAM hungry apps. For a 64-bit OS 4 GB is recommended. The rest of the your 4 GB RAM is used by your integrated graphics adapter, not whole but a major portion and around 80 MB is hardware reserved. That's necessary although you can set that value in the BIOS (no recommended).

In a 64-bit system, data processing happens faster than 32-bit if the application is capable of providing 64-bit instructions. Thus, a system becomes more responsive and faster. Although, if you are planning in run some vintage apps, it's not recommended to use 64-bit OS because they know nothing of a 64-bit OS. 64-bit is the future.

Although, if you are planning in run some vintage apps, it's not recommended to use 64-bit OS because they know nothing of a 64-bit OS. 64-bit is the future.

I dont think he is running anything from the win 98 era.... :pos:

7 can run x64 and x86 ( by that I mean 64 bit and 32 bit apps) with equal ease. (this means anything from the XP era will run just fine)

my laptop runs 7 with just 2 gigs ram and i do video editing with it (adobe premiere elements 10)

Although, if you are planning in run some vintage apps, it's not recommended to use 64-bit OS because they know nothing of a 64-bit OS. 64-bit is the future.

7 can run x64 and x86 ( by that I mean 64 bit and 32 bit apps) with equal ease. (this means anything from the XP era will run just fine)

my laptop runs 7 with just 2 gigs ram and i do video editing with it (adobe premiere elements 10)

i have nothing to do with any heavy program on it. i just want to know whether 64 bit windows will utilize my entire 4 gb of RAM?

and i forgot to inform you that i have 1gb nividia zotac 210 graphics card installed

i have nothing to do with any heavy program on it. i just want to know whether 64 bit windows will utilize my entire 4 gb of RAM?

Yes.

and i forgot to inform you that i have 1gb nividia zotac 210 graphics card installed

Do you have a switchable graphics laptop. Please state the model of your laptop. Being a dedicated graphics in place, your available RAM should show all negating just the hardware reserved value (~80 MB).

Do you have a switchable graphics laptop. Please state the model of your laptop. Being a dedicated graphics in place, your available RAM should show all negating just the hardware reserved value (~80 MB).

no laptop. i have a desktop...with board Gigabyte model B75M-D3H and Intel i3 3240 (LGA 1155). RAM 4gb

no laptop. i have a desktop...with board Gigabyte model B75M-D3H and Intel i3 3240 (LGA 1155). RAM 4gb

If you can confirm that your Nvidia card is working fine, then you can reduce the vRAM allotted for the processors inbuilt graphics (say, set it to 256 MB) in the BIOS. Then the additional MBs will be added to RAM itself. Don't forget to save the changes after you modify the BIOS.

You can perfectly upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (x64), it's highly recommended to do so. ;)

If Ur chip is *64 ready------lets goooooooo!

OR

There is always an option of just patching your current x86 system to support 3gb+ RAM. That's if you are just looking forward to utilizing your new 4gb RAM. Need not to reinstall OS and all software!

See how: HERE

I just did it so myself without much hassle. Effects are completely reversible too, if I might add. It makes me wish I bought more RAM from the beginning.

there is windows7 ultimate (32bit)on my system. previously there was 2gb of RAM. I then decided to get 2gb more RAM. now my system has 4gb ram(two equal ram each 2gb). but my system shows that it is using only 3.48gb. now i am planning to install windows7 ultimate 64 bit. please...please explain what should i do? will it be a wise idea to go on 64 bit architecture to utilize all 4 gb of RAM ?

There is ONE thing this depends on which you have not mentioned WHAT IS YOUR CPU? if you have a dual layer (or more) CPU then Yes you should be using 64 bit W7 and Yes it will see all the Ram but if you do not have at least a dual layer CPU it wont install

dude most all 32 bit apps run just fine on 64 bit. for those few that don't there is compatibility mode.

• 1 month later...

Yes after install windows 7 64bit your used ram will be 3.86gb install it without take tension

Archived