Code 12: This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use

geeteam

Device Manager displays the following message in the Device Properties dialog box, on the General tab, in the Device Status text box:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12).

I face this problem when trying to connect to an LAN network on my HP ProBook 430 G1 Laptop running on Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

Quick Solutions are welcomely Welcomed :)

Thank you

• Replies 18
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you try performing an uninstall through your Device Manager and then rebooting to check whether the issue is resolved.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123#12

Code 12
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)
Cause

This error can occur if two devices that are installed on your computer have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or both). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device.

Recommended resolution

You can use the Troubleshooting Wizard in Device Manager to determine where the conflict is, and then disable the conflicting device.

Disable the conflicting device by using the Troubleshooting Wizard

1. In the device's Properties dialog box, click the General tab.
  2. Click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. The wizard asks you some simple questions and provides a solution to your problem based on the answers that you provide.
  3. Follow the resolution steps provided by the wizard to resolve the problem.

Yeah I did and windows cant see to find the conflicting device...

Did you try performing an uninstall through your Device Manager and then rebooting to check whether the issue is resolved.

please be specific; which on them? I can uninstall every other driver.

The one from where you got that error - a screenshot would help.

The one from where you got that error - a screenshot would help.

its the Realtek Network Adapter

Future Soldier

hmm well i have realtek (total idiot in this network case) but i think you should desable every network adapter except software loopback interface inclusing hidden ones and then check by enabling the required one

plus have you checked your port

Am sorry guys for keeping you all waiting... Something came up and since I had tried many fixes and it didn't work. I have to do a full formatting and installed of new windows (Windows 8.1 Pro). But it showed no sign of any fix.

Unfortunately; from device manager, the LAN Driver doesn't show up.

If you connect your LAN Adapter and you scan for hardware changes from the device manager.

You will see the Realtek LAN Adapter showing up with a yellow exclamation below. Going further to look out for more details then you will see the error as described above with the code 12.

Are you sure your Network Card has not conked off? yXZVmpE.gif

No; Its working ...

Are you sure that the NIC driver you installed is compatible with windows 8.1?

Are you sure that the NIC driver you installed is compatible with windows 8.1?

Yeah I got it exactly from hp.com

screenshot...

Capt.png

it doesnt happen for only the network...

I face this problem when trying to connect to an LAN network on my HP ProBook 430 G1 Laptop running on Windows 7 Professional 64bit.
screenshot...

Capt.png

My goodness - I will be damned if that is Windows 7. 5F7Wk2b.gif

Unfortunately; from device manager, the LAN Driver doesn't show up.

If you connect your LAN Adapter and you scan for hardware changes from the device manager.

You will see the Realtek LAN Adapter showing up with a yellow exclamation below. Going further to look out for more details then you will see the error as described above with the code 12.

Your screenshot indicates your graphics driver - not your NIC driver. Wl2LIwk.gif

screenshot...

Capt.png

My goodness - I will be damned if that is Windows 7. 5F7Wk2b.gif

yeah its Windows 7 without aero.

this problem happened on 2 different PCs, one had to with the LAN network adapter and the other which is the display with a screenshot. All my PCs has been messing up recently.

Archived