Windows 8.1 Update 2 Confirmed

Matsuda

Windows-8-1.jpg

Microsoft has already rolled out Windows 8.1 Update, but the company is now working on a second pack of improvements that could be released sometime this year and brings several improvements to the modern platform.

According to New Details that reached the web this morning, Microsoft is already working on Windows 8.1 Update 2, which is another sign that this OS version is very likely to hit the shelves in just a few months.

Microsoft has already confirmed at the BUILD 2014 developer conference that it's working on a second update for Windows 8.1, but only a few details have actually been confirmed.

Windows 8.1 Update 2 will come with a new Start menu that would try to make the modern operating system a bit more familiar and thus bring back the full functionality of the desktop available in all Windows versions before Windows 8.

What's more, the company revealed a mockup of this new Start menu at the BUILD conference, confirming that the future design would mix live tiles and elements of the classic Start menu integrated into Windows 7, as well as power options and a search box.

Terry Myerson, head of the OS department at Microsoft, also revealed at BUILD that a second Windows 8.1 update would come with options to run Metro apps in their very own windows right on the desktop, in another attempt to make the Modern environment a bit more helpful on the traditional PC.

“I previewed some work we are doing for the next iteration of Windows, which builds on the journey we began with Windows 8 just over a year ago as well as the releases we’ve done since then. In particular, I showed some early thinking on how the user experience in Windows will evolve in a way that will help developers’ apps make their way to users across devices and form factors,” Myerson explained.

Microsoft claims that all these improvements aren't a sign that it's going in reverse, but a way to make the operating system more useful on the traditional PC and for users who are still relying on a mouse and keyboard as the main input method on their computers.

Windows 8.1 Update 2 is expected to debut in August, according to people close to the matter, but Microsoft might delay the release a little bit depending on how well the development process of the new OS update advances.

search_button.gifSource

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcs18

• Chancer

• Matsuda

• software182

Top Posters In This Topic

i have readed that 8.1 spring update 1 would have the older menu back... now its update 2 whattttt??

Well, maybe you read wrong. Official and confirmed news about Update 1 never said something like that. People on 2014 Developer's Conference began to speculate because they saw a screenshots on it.

Greets!

i have readed that 8.1 spring update 1 would have the older menu back... now its update 2 whattttt??

NO startbutton on update 1 as there will be one at 8.2.nobody have spoken over a (classic start button- modern look) in windows 8.1 update 1. you have to wait for windows 8.1 update 2 (or windows 8.2)

if they release it before windows 9. there are rumors telling in aug or sept. or you can read this one again from Matsuda

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/218545-windows-81-update-2-confirmed/

so they bringing back the classic menu..in the name of new update2 lolz.

then why they removed it only in win8

so they bringing back the classic menu..in the name of new update2 lolz.

then why they removed it only in win8

They did well - hope they never bring it back . . . . . . . . again. :thumbsdown:

I hope they bring back the classic menu, also an option to disable Metro UI completely.

If you boot into the desktop you never need see Metro.

Personally I like it especially on a touch screen.

The Modern UI (Metro) is quite deep-rooted and it takes far more than booting up into Desktop to get rid of Modern UI (Metro.) :)

However, for Users of the Touch Screen, there are other tricks to rid the system even from the Desktop. :evil:

From my perspective - I don't want to get rid of it.

I also take the view that if you don't like it, don't use it - hence my suggestion to boot to the desktop.

But hey - each to their own.

Was just emphasizing that a mere boot-up into Desktop does not assure that the User won't see Modern UI (Metro.)

About the dexterity with a Touch Screen, I just don't have it and admittedly find it desirable seeing my son's system is configured with the Desktop completely disabled yet he is actually able to use it quite swiftly enough.