The new Microsoft: Impressively fast

anuseems

MidnightDistortions

I'm not saying that XP is bad, it was once my main OS after Windows 98. But new technology doesn't use XP as with any other OS has been abandoned. In fact i don't really care whether people still use it. I absolutely enjoy WIndows 7 and would not want to see it die, but MS ignores their older OS's. It's happened before and will happen again. While yes that PC is most likely beyond repairing eventually all XP machines will go beyond repair as well. Once MS drops W7 support i will primarily be on Linux. XP was threatened to be cut off years before, if i wasn't on W7 already i'd be on Linux instead of XP. That doesn't mean i can't use XP or W7 offline if i needed to use it or keep an XP or W7 separate from all my files and anything security sensitive. Microsoft even patched XP, despite the support being cut off. Again nothing wrong with XP but it's dying. It's unsecure and there's less support for it. I can't use XP on my gaming PC, XP doesn't recognize it. It probably doesn't even recognize my 3TB hard drive. I might not like W8, but that doesn't stop me from using W7 or moving to Linux. My printer only works with XP, haven't tried it with Linux yet but i am using my printer less and less. So i might just get rid of it and it's my only reason for needing XP.

• Replies 35
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CPowell46

• dcs18

• MidnightDistortions

• nuthut

CPowell46

Wherever Derpycat lives, computers evidently behave quite differently there than they do where I live.

CPowell46

Derpycat seems to be another near pathological XP-hater/XP-user-hater. My "ad hominems" exist only in his fevered imagination, as do my attempts to "win over with...insults and weakness in reasoning". I've never made one negative comment about users of 7 and 8, notr have I made one attempt to convince them that they should go back to XP. It's none of my business what OS anyone uses. XP-haters/XP-user-haters think it is their business what OS other people use. It isn't.

One's choice of an OS is largely a matter of taste. I dislike XP less than I dislike 7 and 8, and I can tell you why. But if your tastes differ from mine, that doesn't bother me in the least, and it doesn't make me think the less of you..

You're being downright rude. I'm right here in this forum, and I was addressing you directly. You ought to have responded in kind. And don't patronize me by trying to make an appeal to others about what kind of person you think I am. You don't see me responding to you by saying "CPowell46 is such and such". It seems to me you don't even realise what a condescending and antagonising individual you evidently can be. I'm not a pathological anything, I'm simply marvelling at your refusal to move away from a dated and dangerous platform. And as for my "fevered imagination"....

"For a Senior Member, Cyberber seems a bit out of touch."
"Microsoft is indeed fortunate to have faithful followers like Nuthut and Cyberber."

"Drama, it's now 25 days after Doomsday, and the Attack of the Hackers hasn't happened. It won't happen. Much has been made of one...count it, one..."XP vulnerability" that wasn't an XP vulnerability at all."

From where I come, condescension and patronising sarcasm are obvious forms of insult. Nearly every one of your posts have been laced with them. Even just then, when I made a clear and (mostly) neutral appeal to your sensibilities, all you did was act snarky and superior. Instead of responding to my reasoning, you tried to assert that I only say what I do because of a psychopathic compulsion. That falls so neatly into the definition of "ad hominem" that it's practically a textbook example. It's clear to me that you have some sort of personal issues with people who prefer the newer OSes, otherwise your comments wouldn't have been so snide. Windows 8 is "spectacularly bloated" you said, as if only an idiot would use it. Not only idiots, but "Microsoft cultists" or "faithful followers", in fact. No, I don't suckle at the corporate teat of Microsoft, and I resent such an insulting implication. It's obvious that you want to convince other people of your views about "Microsoft's campaign to sell 8". You're constantly implying that you're in some way enlightened, and users of the newer OSes are either blind or stupid.

So tell me, why didn't you want to respond to my genuine question about why you prefer XP? You've brashly let it be known that you dislike 7 and 8 because you've been clever enough to avoid Microsoft's traps, and yet you won't teach us lesser people what we're missing. What are your arguments in favour of XP? It seems to me, to be honest, that my reasoning has left no space for argument. If you choose to stick with XP, then I can happily live with that, but I don't agree that OS choice is down to personal preference. If someone in my family or my circle of friends were to ignorantly keep a potentially dangerous OS installed, I'd help them out, to be sure.

Edited by derpycat

CPowell46

Derpycat, feel free to use MS-DOS, Windows ME, Windows 8, Linux, or any other OS you like. I have my own preferences, and it doesn't matter to me whether you share them or not. It seems to cause the Microsoft faithful who have been posting on this forum great distress that I don't share their preferences. If you think I'm rude and the Microsoft faithful are not, you have an unusual definition of "rude".

I have no interest at all in convincing you or anyone else that XP is somehow superior to 7 or 8. I don't think it is...I simply like it better. And the people who say that using XP without Microsoft "support" is inviting a mass hacker assault are either ignorant or, as in the case of Microsoft flacks, deliberately lying.

I see no point in further bandying of words with the Microsoft faithful.

CPowell46

It seems a moderator deleted a post I made to this thread at 3:12 PM. That's surprising, since I made no such post. I wonder who made it, and what it said.

I wouldn't use 8 even if I liked it (and I don't), because it's so spectacularly bloated. 8 gives you nothing significant that XP doesn't give you, whether Microsoft cultists will admit it or not. But 8.1 runs about 2.87 Gb, and XP about 625 Mb! What does all that code do? Anything?

Can your beloved XP boast of the following luxuries or even dream of ever being able to run the latest releases of:--
  • Windows Updates
  • UEFI
  • GPT
  • Secure Boot
  • Adobe Photoshop CC 14.0
  • Adobe Lightroom
  • Adobe Illustrator CC
  • Adobe Audition CC
  • CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7 17.0
  • Adobe Premiere Pro CC

Here's another nail in the XP coffin:--

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 drops support for Windows XP.

Here's another nail in the XP coffin

Nothing new. Microsoft already dropped XP support long ago with .NET 4.5

Just because monkies can write programs in .NET doesn't mean we should prefer that to native code.

Here's another nail in the XP coffin

Nothing new. Microsoft already dropped XP support long ago with .NET 4.5

Oh, they dropped .NET support even before abandoning XP - did they?? Now, that's adding insult to injury. :sneaky:

Edit:--

Now, the nails are beginning to have a crucifying effect. :lol:

Edited by dcs18

I wouldn't use 8 even if I liked it (and I don't), because it's so spectacularly bloated. 8 gives you nothing significant that XP doesn't give you, whether Microsoft cultists will admit it or not. But 8.1 runs about 2.87 Gb, and XP about 625 Mb! What does all that code do? Anything?

Can your beloved XP boast of the following luxuries or even dream of ever being able to run the latest releases of:--
  • Windows Updates
  • UEFI
  • GPT
  • Secure Boot
  • Adobe Photoshop CC 14.0
  • Adobe Lightroom
  • Adobe Illustrator CC
  • Adobe Audition CC
  • CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7 17.0
  • Adobe Premiere Pro CC

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 drops support for Windows XP.

Techsmith SnagIt 12.0.0 Build 1001 drops support for Windows XP.