Hard drive problems

bruinator

Guys, I have had 3 HD in a PC (1 at a time) come up being bad hard drvies? One is coming up saying windows has detected a hard drive error after just installing an OS on it. Another let me install the OS and when it was about to configure itself, shut off, turned on to 2 beeps and just sits there until I power it off, I forgot what was causing the other one had problems with.

Could all 3 go bad like that or could something else be causing it? One drive is roughly 8 yrs old, another is 4 and the other is 2 yrs old. All are seagate barracuda.

Thoughts?

Edited by bruinator

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bruinator

• davmil

• spudboy

• mike.mt

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've same issue with barracuda seagate 320GB till now never solved the problem,

just stay in cpu box, even i've sent to fix it, after returned still got problem.
does anyone has the same experience
?

Maybe bad memory or hd cable. Try the drives in another computer.

Good advice. I would add (assuming it's SATA) trying a different controller if one's available. If not, steal the DVD's controller port for a test. Then use Seagate tools and run some diags on the drive without Windows being involved. However in the past my experience has been, when Windows bitches, it's been right. It gets info from both the SMART drive output and knows it's had trouble writing/reading to the drive irregardless of the reason.

I am getting 5A and ED codes during BIOS and then stops booting. I looked up 5A errors and it said something about video cards and since I just put 1 in on that PC i might take it out to see if it works ok.

Thoughts about trying this?

thx

Edited by bruinator

I am getting 5A and ED codes during BIOS and then stops booting. I looked up 5A errors and it said something about video cards and since I just put 1 in on that PC i might take it out to see if it works ok.

Thoughts about trying this?

thx

Sorry, but doesn't the answer seem quite logical?

@bruinator..Faulty hard drives can either cause the BIOS to freeze during posting or freeze the system whilst loading OS.

Re video card:- Disconnect all drives & restart system... If the the BIOS post completes & you receive a missing operating system message... Its less likely you have a graphics hardware issue.