Local Radio Station Playing Through Computer Speakers

Knightmare

Today, I noticed there was a sound coming from my speakers. I checked on my computer but I didn't have anything playing sound at the time. When I got closer, I realized that it was actually a local radio station playing through the speakers. When I moved the speakers, the station would get clearer and then fade--depending on where I moved them--almost like an antenna. Is there anyway to stop this from happening? I'm using Windows 7 x64 and Gigaware speakers on a wired internet connection.

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Knightmare

• VileTouch

• Arachnoid

• Airstream_Bill

This phenomenon is known as "Invasion of Aliens on your Home Planet"! You better call NASA! :p

Ballistic Gelatin

Your speakers may not be properly shielded from RF. If they use an AC adapter, you can try reversing the plug at the wall outlet. Make sure the AC outlet is properly grounded. Otherwise, you may need to buy a set of better-quality speakers to eliminate or mitigate the issue.

I would boot up the PC, but not into Windows - go into the BIOS, and see if it is still happening. I say that to eliminate anything coming from your PC.

If there is nothing when you boot into your BIOS but there is when you start Windows I would scan you PC just in case a bit of malware is doing it!

to eliminate it you need a specific filter for that frequency. if you know which radio station that is, you might want to contact them for advice...who knows, they might even solve the problem on their end or provide you with the necessary filter for free (depending on your location)

Get yourself shielded / screened twisted pair speaker cable, swap it out for your existing speaker wire, problem solved.

I was hoping for a free way to fix the issue, but the speakers are pretty old. I'll try buying new ones to see if that corrects the issue.

Airstream_Bill

Put a bunch of twists in your speaker cables if you do not have ferrite rods laying around. That may fix it for you???

I was hoping for a free way to fix the issue, but the speakers are pretty old. I'll try buying new ones to see if that corrects the issue.

to eliminate it you need a specific filter for that frequency. if you know which radio station that is, you might want to contact them for advice...who knows, they might even solve the problem on their end or provide you with the necessary filter for free (depending on your location)

¬¬

Airstream_Bill

Expensive Crystal Radio Kit, without the Oatmeal Box. Unintentionally you have done this.

9ZIWbbr.gif

Does your computer look anything like this?

t4fJ8Fm.jpg

Hope you know I am just kidding. Could not pass it up to tease you.

Edited by Airstream_Bill

Anyway you can still sue the damn radio station and ask for compensation.. :lol: :P

• 2 weeks later...

correct answer but look around on ebay for some of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-SMALL-TDK-FERRITE-CORE-FERROUS-RING-BEAD-BLOCK-CLIP-ON-NOISE-FILTER-EMI-/371026550036?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item5662e7dd14

they are ferrite rings but made in two half's just loop it around one side three times on each wire close the two halfs and away you go

My fillings cause the radio to play out of my mouth :lol: Get your teeth pulled.

Dear Veteran - it isn't one of the best jokes. But, after all, do not jump over your shadow.

Just bought bigger, newer looking speakers. It was time anyway.

Your logic is beyond me :D

Just bought bigger, newer looking speakers. It was time anyway.

Your logic is beyond me :D

I gave up. It didn't seem like there was a free way, and the speakers were old.