external hd issue

bruinator

I have an external HD and made an image of my partition using acronis true home 2014 and it worked fine. When It was done, i wanted to see home much space it backed up. Normally I see the drive it uses (usually E) with the external HD name.

I added a new printer and drivers to it so I figured I would do another image so it would include it. Today when I plugged my external HD it said (E) local disk, which is not correct. The same thing when I attempted to do another image normally i see (usually E) with the external HD name.Today i saw my external HD it said (E) local disk, which is not correct. When i attempted to do an image I kept on getting different error and the image never worked.

What would coz my external HD to read that way when I plugged it in? Is the something I can do to the External HD so it will read the type of EHD it is, IF so, how plz?

thx

ED: same results on 2 different PCs and 2 different USB cables.

Edited by bruinator

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bruinator

• mike.mt

• davmil

Top Posters In This Topic

bruinator are you still able to see drive contents?......... Or do you get a message saying that the drive is not formatted / no access ????

bruinator are you still able to see drive contents?......... Or do you get a message saying that the drive is not formatted / no access ????

It says E:\ not assessible

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

It says E:\ not assessible

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

By the sound of it your file tables have become corrupted..

First try the following first:-

Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt , right click & run as Administrator

"Command Prompt" will be opened.

Type the below command

chkdsk /f E: --> Press Enter.

This is what i see:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
© 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f E:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is SignatureMini.
Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover
master file table from disk.

i assume it is trying to fix it and i will see results? yes?

thx

edit:

Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

C:\Windows\system32>

Edited by bruinator

Format and hope you don't need the original image. Just bad luck probably, but I wouldn't cache writes to the external drive or let Acronis shut down the computer the moment the backup's over.

Just out of curiosity, is it a USB2/3 external or eSATA based external? I've always used eSATA and had very good results that way. I haven't heard anything about USB3 results though I understand it's supposed to be better. USB2 was, in my experience, too flaky for the kind of data flow rate an external backup image creates.

Unfortunately from your description the drive appears to have suffered a component failure from either weak heads, amplifier or bad sectors etc.

Your next step would be take it out of the USB enclosure & test it directly through the motherboard & see if it recognized properly by BIOS.

Should it not be seen correctly in BIOS.. DIY data recovery becomes very difficult & best sent to a pro DR lab if the value of data warrants it.

If BIOS view OK & can also be seen properly by windows, it was just the enclosure gone south...

If it cant be recognized correctly in windows your best option is to try to recover data with tools similar to EaseUs data Recovery Pro or R-Studio. Both available here as portable versions......Always best when attempting recovery from a failing drive is to clone / image it to spare drive & work from that.

You could also give HDD Regenerator a whirl on the failed drive if seen in BIOS.... But always!!! clone / image first....

• 3 weeks later...

I formatted it as ntfs and it is recognized on both PC's again. Would it be ok to use again?

thx

Unfortunately it is very difficult to always give 100% correct diagnostic advice without physically being hands on...

But if I were you, I would run a full surface scan on the drive...http://macrorit.com/disk-surface-test/disk-surface-test.html also check parameters with http://www.nsanedown.com/?request=84878541.

Then should all look OK, Put it back into use & monitor it regularly with Crystal or similar...

Hopefully it was a glitch caused by the enclosure / OS... Fingers crossed...