• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienForce1

• Chancer

• digimon

• knowledge-Spammer

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone know

Yes! it works..but why to bother for this if better options available.. :)

Try PerfectDisk Pro Business or O&O Defrag Pro :rolleyes:

Best results defrag in safe mode! when running the minimum number of processes and services! Ultimate Defrag gives you a lot of possibilities!
in the program folder you book - PDF file named "UltimateDefragV1HelpFile" and in it you have a chapter on methods of defragmentation and sample the recommended settings for specific usage of the computer (p. 33-42). If you do not want to experiment ... and it's worth a try ... it's the defrag your system drive (C) give the "auto" but in the options, select "Put directories close to MFT" which allows you to speed up the loading and the system works. When data discs auto option is not necessary for me, and here for the first time works better method of the first three methods in turn:
1 Fragmented files only
2 consolidate
3 The folder / file name
then only enough points. 1

A genuine question now, is there any real need to defrag anymore ?.

I used to defrag under most systems from win 3.1 - 2k, however since I've been using NTFS systems (with the exception of 2k), I've not defragged at all.

Yonks ago when read / write speeds were slow & you had something like a Pentium 2, it did help to move the most frequently accessed files to the front of your HD to save wear and tear on the drive head and increase overall speed although be it, marginally, however with the progression of technology (Moores law) and SSD's, are you really going to notice a huge difference, or is it just a placebo effect ?

Dodel.

Edited by Dodel

I let the built in Windows defrag work with the setup in scheduled tasks that windows creates on setup.

It`s your choice (a bad one , if I may say...) .

The built in Windows Defrag is very slow and there are much better choices available - Perfect Disk , O&O Defrag , Auslogics Defrag , Diskeeper ...

A genuine question now, is there any real need to defrag anymore ?.

I used to defrag under most systems from win 3.1 - 2k, however since I've been using NTFS systems (with the exception of 2k), I've not defragged at all.

Yonks ago when read / write speeds were slow & you had something like a Pentium 2, it did help to move the most frequently accessed files to the front of your HD to save wear and tear on the drive head and increase overall speed although be it, marginally, however with the progression of technology (Moores law) and SSD's, are you really going to notice a huge difference, or is it just a placebo effect ?

Dodel.

You don`t have to believe me , just defrag your C:\ with a good defrag program (O&O or PerfectDisk) and you will notice the difference B)

I let the built in Windows defrag work with the setup in scheduled tasks that windows creates on setup.

It`s your choice (a bad one , if I may say...) .

The built in Windows Defrag is very slow and there are much better choices available - Perfect Disk , O&O Defrag , Auslogics Defrag , Diskeeper ...

I have to disagree, I've used perfect disk and diskeeper and seen no measurable benefit over the built in one.