How do I set up two hard drives?

insanedown58

I'm new to this part of PC building so I would need all the help I could possibly get :)

Here's what I want to do:

I have 2 SATA HDDs (1 that is 80 GB and the other 500 GB) that I want to use. I want to install Windows to the 500 GB drive and use the 80 GB as just storage for what I'd like to put in it (its not nsfw don't worry ;) )

How do I do it and are there things that I should and should not do

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 5
  • Views 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• insanedown58

• FreeRyde

• ASIO

• Chancer

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just plug them in and when you install windows simply choose the drive you wish to install to as part of the setup process.

If it were me, I'd put windows on the 80 and use the 500 for programs and storage! I would create two partitions on the 500, probably 150 and 350. Then I'd use the 150 for programs and the 350 for storage.

Keeping windows on a separate drive to your data makes sense if you ever need to reinstall windows - it helps reduce the risk of losing or corrupting your data.

I go with chancer on this one...... Plug both in & put the OS on the 80GB along with installed programs.

As for the 500GB simply format a single drive & create folders for installation programs, movies, system disk OS images / backups etc.

Better still throw in another drive if the pocket suits & Image / back up to that. As it will save you a lot of grief should things go wrong in the future...

Thanks Chancer for the advice :D

I'm more of a "put all eggs in one basket" guy since I don't have a lot of things I desperately need to backup but that's something I'm starting to need more and more as time goes by. I also have DVD images of programs (DVDs? I know right) so I'm all good as far as backup goes :lol: :naughty: