[Help] Display Problem!

Roger D

Check printscreen, if it is working, the problem probably is of software; if it is not working the culprit is hardware

if software: uninstall all OS, erase and format HD and do a fresh install then upgrade GPU drivers etc

if hardaware: you got screw-ed :) so, check screen inverter with that screw :), if it is intact, then mobo problem. :)

• Replies 70
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger D

• SlimRock

• Sonar

• Turk

Problem Update: Now I can see 3 white lines, two of them is flickering and the rest one is still static...What's going on ? :think:

Problem Update: Now I can see 3 white lines, two of them is flickering and the rest one is still static...What's going on ? :think:

did u try a older driver?

Do you notice the behavior if you boot into safe mode or do a clean boot? You can use the clean boot article to try to determine what software may be affecting the behavior.

Noticed No behavior change in Safe Mode also.. :( Not tried Clean Boot yet (After having problem) :rolleyes:

try taking a screen shot and uploading somewere - see if its actually a hardware problem or is actually software wise causing it (if its same in safemode deffo something wrong)

you could try removing graphics drivers & reinstalling with Compatibility mode set to windows 7?

edit

TRY the older versions of nvidia Around the the 190's mark or anything before they changed to the new installer.

I know 2 towers that are running the 8400 gs cards and will not install the latest drivers (always failed at the end) win xp/win7 but the disc they got with the card that installs version inside the 190's (the old GUI/install screen) works. - maybe your facing the same problem as them.

also the one that windows update provides = headace aswell cause that doesn't install the full driver (which i think you also mentioned downloading)

you can download them from here

YeS!! I uninstalled the latest driver..and then tried the older one, downloaded from the site( you suggested).. but it says driver software could not find any compatible graphics hardware.. :( Now reverting back to the latest one.. :rolleyes:

Display problems are generally caused due to vga or ram. Do you see that horizontal line continuosly after power on? If yes then I think its harware related.It is highly possible that the gpu is damged as you installed new drivers a few days back.

I would also advice you to use the OS(for xp and vista only) and drivers that came with your laptop as mentioned already in above posts.Use hardware monitoring software to check for heat and voltages.

If you have two ram sticks,then use one at a time to check whether the problem goes away.(hope this solves the problem for you)

No harm in trying these

- Try smaller resolution with high refresh rate if horizontal line is not continuos.

- Boot up from linux live CD to check.

- Yes!! the horizontal white lines appears as I switch on the laptop..( So it seems to be hardware issue) :(

- and I have two RAM stick..I tried alternately removing one of them and even exchanging their slots..but still white line appears.. :(

- Tried every possible resolutions(refresh rate is fixed 60Hz).. no help :(

- Tried booting through Linux live USB..Same problem.. :(

try to lower you´re Mhz in youre GPU drivers

But how to do that?? :think:

Check printscreen, if it is working, the problem probably is of software; if it is not working the culprit is hardware

if software: uninstall all OS, erase and format HD and do a fresh install then upgrade GPU drivers etc

if hardaware: you got screw-ed :) so, check screen inverter with that screw :), if it is intact, then mobo problem. :)

What does it mean? means how to check printscreen?

do you mean taking Desktop snapshot through printscreen?

if yes.. I tried that and paste them in Paint..but there is no white line in desktop snapshot..

Now what should I conclude? Is it software issue or hardware issue??? :think:

What the worse is..I'm getting sometimes more (adjacent and parallel) flickering white lines..

and sometimes the whole screen starts to flicker and starts adjusting itself(ups and downs)..

At least tell me the way to freeze the situation, I fear my LCD is dying.. :( :( :(

if yes.. I tried that and paste them in Paint..but there is no white line in desktop snapshot..

it is software, cause you were able to take printscreen snapshot which means hardware working properly.

then format HDD and fresh install :)

it is software, cause you were able to take printscreen snapshot which means hardware working properly.

then format HDD and fresh install :)

I've heard about only print screen button on the Keyboard.. Is it a software? :o

Can u plz share the link for the software?? :rolleyes:

Noticed No behavior change in Safe Mode also.. :( Not tried Clean Boot yet (After having problem) :rolleyes:

Do you notice the behavior if you boot into safe mode or do a clean boot? You can use the clean boot article to try to determine what software may be affecting the behavior.

try taking a screen shot and uploading somewere - see if its actually a hardware problem or is actually software wise causing it (if its same in safemode deffo something wrong)

you could try removing graphics drivers & reinstalling with Compatibility mode set to windows 7?

edit

TRY the older versions of nvidia Around the the 190's mark or anything before they changed to the new installer.

I know 2 towers that are running the 8400 gs cards and will not install the latest drivers (always failed at the end) win xp/win7 but the disc they got with the card that installs version inside the 190's (the old GUI/install screen) works. - maybe your facing the same problem as them.

also the one that windows update provides = headace aswell cause that doesn't install the full driver (which i think you also mentioned downloading)

you can download them from here

YeS!! I uninstalled the latest driver..and then tried the older one, downloaded from the site( you suggested).. but it says driver software could not find any compatible graphics hardware.. :( Now reverting back to the latest one.. :rolleyes:

you might need to find the correct "setup file" aka "Product Type" (ION, Legacy) but like mentioned an older driver (you can help your self there as you should know which one it is your installing).

does the white lines apeer when you uninstall all graphic drivers?

disable auto install on windows updates (click it to check but don't download) (to stop the graphics driver update).

Edited by Sonar

Roger,

I do not know any kind of keyboard software, AFAIK printscreen is a native function of OS, disappearance of white lines on snapshot clearly shows that

hardware is working, probably OS stuck on a couple of ignorable dead pixel, but how can we find out it, it is really hard to eliminate possible software issue standalone. If you can keep all your 3rd party installed programs, a fresh install OS eliminates all HD and driver causes. :) One of my friends experienced this same problem who got rid of it with fresh install.

Roger,

I do not know any kind of keyboard software, AFAIK printscreen is a native function of OS, disappearance of white lines on snapshot clearly shows that

hardware is working, probably OS stuck on a couple of ignorable dead pixel, but how can we find out it, it is really hard to eliminate possible software issue standalone. If you can keep all your 3rd party installed programs, a fresh install OS eliminates all HD and driver causes. :) One of my friends experienced this same problem who got rid of it with fresh install.

But this should be valid also on some live OS running through USB..as it's more or less equivalent to fresh install.. :)

I've tried running LIVE OS of Linux and Windows 7 through USB..but the white line was still there.. :(

No need reinstalling OS.Disconnect hard disk and then boot up linux OS to eliminate hdd as cause of problem as suggested by Turk.

- try another power socket in other room/place to rule out interference

nadeemabbas2007

hi i am facing a problem......... in display drivers ............!

windows automatically update to intel 965 wddm 1........ which dont support max requirement.....as most of the games wont work ....some directx 3d is not working.

pleaase help as i try to uninstall from the device manager....and install my previous intel 965.......the wdddm 1 replace it again......... what should i do.........please help

hi i am facing a problem......... in display drivers ............!

windows automatically update to intel 965 wddm 1........ which dont support max requirement.....as most of the games wont work ....some directx 3d is not working.

pleaase help as i try to uninstall from the device manager....and install my previous intel 965.......the wdddm 1 replace it again......... what should i do.........please help

disable auto install on windows updates (change settings to check but don't download) (to stop the graphics driver update). remember to "hide" that update so u never download it again.

uninstall that annoying driver from windows updates - i mentioned this in post already that it doesn't install the full driver package which is annoying.

Edited by Sonar

The symptoms that Roger D describes & from what I have encountered many times in the past, are normally caused by hardware problems.

Either faulty laptop screen, ribbon cable from screen to graphics adapter or the GPU itself. Unfortunately none of these can be easily resolved by anyone that is not savvy with laptop repairs. If it is a screen or an inbuilt graphics adapter fault, forget it as its not economically viable as parts are not easily exchangeable ie. soldered on the main board.

If it can be connected & works with an external monitor at least there is the option that it could be used as another workstation.

The symptoms that Roger D describes & from what I have encountered many times in the past, are normally caused by hardware problems.

Either faulty laptop screen, ribbon cable from screen to graphics adapter or the GPU itself. Unfortunately none of these can be easily resolved by anyone that is not savvy with laptop repairs. If it is a screen or an inbuilt graphics adapter fault, forget it as its not economically viable as parts are not easily exchangeable ie. soldered on the main board.

If it can be connected & works with an external monitor at least there is the option that it could be used as another workstation.

I agree

it is probably a hardware problem (hopefully not the card)

Years ago it happened to me and I've gotten by replacing the inverter, a component that is easy to replace and not expensive ($ 15-20).

I also had a problem of overload voltage because I was using the laptop with the battery and power line at the same time

No need reinstalling OS.Disconnect hard disk and then boot up linux OS to eliminate hdd as cause of problem as suggested by Turk.

- try another power socket in other room/place to rule out interference

I tried Linux live usb after removing my internal HDD.. but the problem was still there.. :rolleyes:

Now it's confirmed..It's hardware issue..Probably inverter issue... :(

Damn! :doh: The whole screen is now flickering..I can't even see or type anything properly..No solution found..

Going to service Center tomorrow.. :eekout:

Will be offline for the next 2-3 days.. :wut: