DNS servers

Chancer

I've read a few sites recently about DNS servers and whether or not they really make a difference to the speed of internet browsing.

Opinions vary from milliseconds to twice as fast.

What is your experience of using different DNS servers and which, if any, do you feel are faster than the rest.

Cheers

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chancer

• jackieo

• tezza

• Yorel

Top Posters In This Topic

For me Google DNS performs much better than my ISP's DNS Server! :s

DNS Benchmark Result:

xfa22QH.png

Edited by slimrock

majormalfunction

Tezza is spot-on with the GRC dns checker. :) Most folks find their ISP's dns servers are far from optimum. Find the fastest two on it and load 'em into your dns settings. Or..... You *can* run your own local dns server(s) with a bit of work and it will make a difference if the best dns server(s) you can find in your test are far away or slow. I've run pdnsd (currently 1.2.9a) for years on 2 small virtual machines, one freebsd, one ubuntu server. I set it to remember (cache) everything in the last 7 days or so, and yes, it makes a difference here. That's a lot of work for many, but it's kinda cool when it's set up. It doesn't take the latest BFG2000 box to run, either. Anything will work for you. Just look for pdnsd home page. Yeah I was playing Doom earlier today lol. Home sick today & in retro mode meh. BTW just ran a test again, and Level 3 wins the dns race as usual.

This area of computing - network stuff- is my weak area of knowledge since i have always owned just 1 pc,

I am blessed to be among a community of some really smart people !

Ok- I ran both of those apps, Namebench came back and said Open DNS to be the fastest ( for me)

So then, I set my internet properties DNS Server to Open DNS - plug in the IP address ( not a problem, I know where that setting is)

Then, ran Gibson's bench, and then ran the personalised test, and it confirmed Open DNS fastest for my personal config.

so if i understand this corretcly- making this change in DNS server - this only makes resolution of websites happen faster,

but wil not make you tube videos buffer faster right?

only make web pages load faster?

right?

Edited by jackieo

This area of computing - network stuff- is my weak area of knowledge since i have always owned just 1 pc,

I am blessed to be among a community of some really smart people !

Ok- I ran both of those apps, Namebench came back and said Open DNS to be the fastest ( for me)

So then, I set my internet properties DNS Server to Open DNS - plug in the IP address ( not a problem, I know where that setting is)

Then, ran Gibson's bench, and then ran the personalised test, and it confirmed Open DNS fastest for my personal config.

so if i understand this corretcly- making this change in DNS server - this only makes resolution of websites happen faster,

but wil not make you tube videos buffer faster right?

only make web pages load faster?

right?

That is my understanding.