Domain host

Chancer

Hi,

I have several domains hosted by 1&1. Recently I have had some problems of their making and have got really poor customer service.

I am considering moving my domains but don't want to move to somewhere equally as bad.

I live in the UK.

I would be grateful if any members have recommendations, and more importantly why you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

:-)

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smallhagrid

• Chancer

• Polonium

• XenoLord

Domain registration is one thing - hosting is another - and your topic cites both whereas your post makes it seem as if you are looking for hosting - is this correct ??

As silly as it may sound, one of the very best ones I've ever used is 000webhost.com - it is free and has great uptime.

Pretty much zero support unless you pay them - but I never needed any serious support from them.

Another couple of total unknowns that I tried because they are small & cheap are Jollyworks & Hostient.

JW has only so-so support, but Hostient has terrific support.

My experiences with ALL hosting, whether paid or free is that most providers except for the very biggest ones usually burn out after 2-3 years of hard work for little pay and often just vanish without warning.

As a result of such vanishments I learned that is is CRITICAL to ALWAYS have a good backup at ALL times.

And lastly - I do very highly recommend godaddy for domain reg. (their support is FANTASTIC !!).

BUT - their hosting services are really nothing special - and those services ARE overpriced IMO.

The best way to have a look around is by visiting and reading over at webhostingtalk - but do beware all the self-promotions and bad advice telling folks to pay more for hosting as they are all full of hooey.

A very serious word of warning=>

Lots and lots of hosting providers have reseller accounts they get from resellers who have master reseller accounts from folks who DO NOT have their own servers at all.

It is not easy to check how many levels of upstream there are above any hosting you may buy - and this is one reason I recommend looking for CHEAP hosting while making sure you have good backups.

I have one other great trick that I highly recommend if uptime is your focus:

1. Use your DNS manager to set your domain's A-record to the IP of your hosting rather than setting nameservers.

2. Have a 2nd cheap hosting provider with a current copy of your site already in place in an active account.

3. If provider #1 is down or dies, just change the A-record and usually in under an hour your site is back up.

This is a way to side-step stupidly long propagation delays which can take days when a new nameserver is applied.

Good Luck and Best Wishes !!!

I forgot to put this in my long reply above, and these guys are SOOO bad this needs to stand alone:

After trying hostgator I would NEVER - NEVER - NEVER use them again.

Sorry the name isn't clear - it is Domain name registraion, not web hosting I'm looking for.

Edited by Chancer

I am currently using 1&1 and have in the past used Easily.co.uk.

I regret and wish I did not use 1&1, for service and user experience Easily, which is UK based, I found to be by far better. A good plus point is if you need to talk to them, Easily have Freephone 0800 numbers for sales and support not like 1&1.

• 1 year later...

I've tried many places for domain reg over the years and generally the ONLY one that didn't suck has been Godaddy.

Their support remains top-shelf, their features are very good and the only drawback is that they know it - so their prices kind of suck.

I posted about 1'n'1 here:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/52794-1and1-99-cent-domain-transfer-BEWARE-!!!

Another bunch of bananas offering low cost domain reg. is Freenom.
Their features are poor and their support is worse than useless...but their rates are cheap.

If you want a cheap domain reg. and can spare 60 days, get one there & pay for a few years, then start a transfer to a better company for cheap after that.

This way you get a few years for way less as you keep what you paid for at one place when transferring to another.

No-IP would be the one I suggest using.. never had any issues except when there was a big deal going on about the DNS hosting websites that were all full of malware.. which caused some issues... but they were worked out quickly enough..

This I will note here.. I have been using their free service since about 2003.. never purchased an official DN only using the free ones.. but they seem to have plenty of good options to switch over and aren't that bad for a year's service..

It would be worth looking into if anything else.

NO-IP and others like it are fine -if- one is OK using a subdomain naming like 'mysite.theirdomain.net', but if one desires their own domain name on a TLD like 'mydomain.net' - registration is unavoidable.

Another thing worth mentioning is that for anyone wanting a free subdomain name AND decent free hosting - 000webhost does a fine job of that IMO, I've been using one there for years already as a catch-all domain for krappy emails and such.

Lastly, I've posted before about getting free domain registrations and have a bunch that I am using just to see if they are any good by pointing them at a simple site & using the nice & free Uptime Scout to track their downtimes.

So far the worst have been domains under do.to, vo.to and cu.cc - but quite a few others are really pretty good.

5 are even 100% free TLDs - and they all have at least a little downtime - but for a totally free TLD it must be expected.