Yahoo Messenger problem.

AlienForce1

(PC with Windows 8.1 Pro + all updates , X86 , Bitdefender IS 17.24.0.1033 , O&O Defrag Pro)

There is more than a week that I have a strange behaviour in Yahoo! Messenger - every 2-3 days the fonts change in the writing area of the Messenger . You can see that `Arial` dissapeared !

At2CL4Z.jpg

If I uninstall and then reinstall Yahoo! Messenger , the problem dissapears , but after some time reapears .

What can I do ? What could be the problem ?

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienForce1

• Kalju

• Nima

• scandal1981

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not the problem, why to cry. Use something else. Similar is, after all,

Arial, Calibri, Gautami, Kartika, Khmer UI, Lahta, Mangal, Microsoft Sans Serif, Raavi, Shruti, Tahoma, Veranda, Vrinda

and some more.

Search for the problem from the Windows. There is something amiss.

Is this font available in other programs, if there is missing. Or maybe is only the font name missing from list?

No , the `Arial` font is missing only in that area of messenger .

Two days ago I uninstalled and reinstalled messenger and made a backup of messenger`s files ->

- in C \ Progr~1 \ Yahoo

- in C \ ProgrData \ Yahoo

- in C \Users\xx_user \ AppData \ Roaming \ Yahoo

- in C \ Users \ All users \ Yahoo

Today , after posting the problem , I deleted Yahoo! files and changed with the corresponding files from the backup -> the problem is gone ... but for how long ?

Why is `Arial` font disapearing from messenger`s window ?

Searching on internet , there was an opinion that it could be someone in messenger`s adress-book that has it`s PC full of viruses and is sending special characters... could you believe that ?

Edited by AlienForce1

The PC is recently installed (~10days) and is clean (scanned with BD and mbam) .

It doesn't matter if I enter with another Yahoo! account , the problem is still there . It`s the first time that I encounter that problem (and only on that PC) . If I use the same Yahoo! account on another PC , there are no problems !

That's not the problem, why to cry. Use something else. Similar is, after all,

Arial, Calibri, Gautami, Kartika, Khmer UI, Lahta, Mangal, Microsoft Sans Serif, Raavi, Shruti, Tahoma, Veranda, Vrinda

and some more.

Search for the problem from the Windows. There is something amiss.

Is this font available in other programs, if there is missing. Or maybe is only the font name missing from list?

When the problem appears , I can`t use another font in messenger`s window - in fact I can change the fonts with what I am writing , but it doesn`t remember the modified setting , it returns to `Arial Black` every time I open the messenger`s window to write the message .

When the problem appears , I can`t use another font in messenger`s window - in fact I can change the fonts with what I am writing , but it doesn`t remember the modified setting , it returns to `Arial Black` every time I open the messenger`s window to write the message .

If you remember, I said at the outset that the error must be on the computer not on messenger. I now need to think a bit, but you can try to find a reason for it. There is some thing wrongly or not fully installed, or is a conflict with some another program.

I take a bit time to think about.

I tried an advice found on Yahoo! Answers :

Run through Messenger settings
Contact List > Messenger > Preferences > Appearance
Under "Default font and color for Message windows" > "Change Fonts and color"
Select the font, size and colour of your choice > OK > Apply > OK
Exit Yahoo Messenger - Sign back in

- curious to see if this solves the problem of missing fonts in messenger !

https://www.google.com/search?q=%60Arial%60+font+%C2%A0disapearing+from+messenger&oq=%60Arial%60+font+%C2%A0disapearing+from+messenger&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Edited by AlienForce1

I suggest you to completely uninstall and then install the latest versions of Java Runtimes JRE and Adobe Flash Player.

Especially JRE, most of Yahoo! Messengers problems came from corrupted Java files, reinstall it and then test again for some day. ;)

Edited by Nima

I suggest you to completely uninstall and then install the latest versions of Java Runtimes JRE and Adobe Flash Player.

Especially JRE, most of Yahoo! Messengers problems came from corrupted Java files, reinstall it and then test again for some day. ;)

All my PC-s don`t have installed java ...

All my PC-s don`t have installed java ...

I highly recommend you to install Java if Java-dependant applications (like Yahoo! Messenger) are very essential for you, otherwise, it's highly suggested not to install those piece of shit on Windows. ;)

Anyway, I myself recommend you to use alternative and better application that supports Yahoo! protocol, too; there too many messengers out there, Yahoo! Messenger is somehow retired, you see there is a such a long time since they abandoned it and have not updated it. :)

╚═► I highly do not recommend you to install Java if it isn't needed especially!!!
For example, if You are maniacal player.

╚═►Tell me, how you have got Windows 8.1? Upgraded from some previous version or clean install?

Edited by Kalju

I use yahoo messenger in win8.1 - it never has worked completely right - but it works non stop normal messaging and file transfers until .... It corrupts easy when others message me with other fancier background, non default messenger windows. I just quickly uninstall and otherwise completely clean it out manually and reinstall & tell those that use the fancy background messages.. sorry.. I'm gonna block ya on yahoo. Try Skype if you need me.

I don't use any added defrag or anti-virus programs. Don't feel any need to add potential problems with that kind of stuff that already exists anyhow. No Java here in well over a year. Haven't even missed it anywhere. Yahoo messenger seems to use some component of IE & its Flash.

Edited by mikie

I use yahoo messenger in win8.1 - it never has worked completely right - but it works non stop normal messaging and file transfers until .... It corrupts easy when others message me with other fancier background, non default messenger windows. I just quickly uninstall and otherwise completely clean it out manually and reinstall & tell those that use the fancy background messages.. sorry.. I'm gonna block ya on yahoo. Try Skype if you need me.

I don't use any added defrag or anti-virus programs. Don't feel any need to add potential problems with that kind of stuff that already exists anyhow. No Java here in well over a year. Haven't even missed it anywhere.

╚═►This Yahoo Messenger - yes there are for a long time problems, but in this case, it is not messenger probably not a problem, but something else. But I have not been able yet to figure out - the data is a bit few.

That's problem with Yahoo!Messenger when you use Team Viewer.

Same problem here with Yahoo 2-3 months ago until i realised what caused this (in my case)

Latest Yahoo!Messenger version is just too old for these days.

Same problem here with Yahoo 2-3 months ago until i realised what caused this (in my case)

╚═►And I guess, you are absolutely right!

╚═► I highly do not recommend you to install Java if it isn't needed especially!!!

For example, if You are maniacal player.

╚═►Tell me, how you have got Windows 8.1? Upgraded from some previous version or clean install?

Clean install

( delete partitions -> new partition -> format -> install )

I use TeamViewer Portable (latest version , always) - I'll test now to see if that's the problem ...

Edos : That's problem with Yahoo!Messenger when you use Team Viewer.

No problem here related TeamViewer and Yahoo! Messenger !

Edited by AlienForce1