Dual boot question

bruinator

hi, i have a dual boot of win 8 and win 8.1. Something is messed up with win 8 so I think I am going to delete the partition it is on and re-install it on a new partition that I have yet to create. Will I have any issues doing this? Will it cause any issues with win 8.1? Plz let me know.

thx

Edited by bruinator

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bruinator

• x_engineer_x

• Dodel

• vregu

Top Posters In This Topic

And as stated as long as you have 8 on there first you will have no problems it must be the 1st one in the boot order or it might give you some problems

I might have issues or I will have issues if i already have 8.1 on there and I want to re-install 8 with 8.1 already on it?

thx

if you're going to use another partition, do not see why you should have problems

If you have Win 8 / 8.1 on the same partition then yes you will have issues (as no OS installed, because you've removed the primary partition), also if you have Win 8 on one partition and Win 8.1 on another partition, you could still have issues as you may remove the boot sector which tells the computer where to look for the boot information, this can be fixed using the OS dvd, and the start up repair option / grub.

If that's what you are asking...

Edited by Dodel

Fist of all I don't really know because I have not tried this. But I have done several dual boots in the past and now have Windows 7 and 8.1. In the past, in order to do a dual boot [with Windows and not a third party software] you had to start with the older version first. In this case you would have to install 8 then dual boot 8.1. But in your case you already have 8.1 installed. Maybe make an image of 8.1 then install 8. Make another partition and add the image of 8.1. If you have Acronis True image, I would make an image of your entire HDD then you would have nothing to loose when you try this. Or..........Just reinstall 8 over top of your present 8

I am interested to know why you would want 8 and 8.1