Separate Partition for Programs

Knightmare

So after fighting with the network error I was experiencing, I decided to erase EVERYTHING and start new. Now I have my brand new system installed and I would like to separate my programs from my OS. I have tried editing the ProgramFilesDir in the registry, but now my Internet Explorer, Windows Media, etc. do not function. I have searched Google but I can't seem to grasp exactly how to make this happen. During the installation of the OS, I made a separate partition and also made it a primary drive. What is the best way to make sure that my programs install in the D:\ partition, and that my IE and other Microsoft programs function properly?

Edited by Knightmare

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dMog

• Knightmare

• Kalju

• Airstream_Bill

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you can place all programs on separate partition....EXCEPT for internet explorer...it is pat and parcel of the os..or at least so integrated into the OS that it needs to be on the same drive...could be wrong tho i am sure some real expert here on the site can tell you

Airstream_Bill

I am no expert but yes IE is part of the OS. I believe you can move the Cashed Files to another drive though. Open up IE and go to Internet Options Under General almost at the Bottom click on Settings right above Accessibility and when that opens at the Bottom it says Move Folder. Here is a picture. Hope that helps you. I will conclude my I hope you get it set the way you want it.ZZrZgLG.jpg

Edited by Airstream_Bill

It is absolutely no matter where you put your programs. With the exception of those directly related to the Windows OS. Including IE, but if you want to re-install Windows, you'll still need to re-install the programs. Otherwise, there are no accurate data on the registry.

However, Windows 8 and the 8.1 there do not have a special need, because you can already install Windows again, so that everything is preserved. It means - your folders, files and settings. It is reasonable to only make copies of the important things to another disk / partition, etc. - no matter where you want to do.

Themselves I do so for years - I made three partitions, and so is enough space. And there is no risk that something would be lost.