Different color memory slots on motherboard

Zigen

Hi guys,

So i have 4 memory slots on a older G33 motherboard (Desktop) which supports DDR2 memory. It has a total of 4 memory slots, 2 blue and 2 black.

Now I have a total of 4 x 1 gb Memory, all PC 6400 800mhz and the same CL.

Thing is 2 are X brand and the other 2 are Y brand. If I put the same brand in the same color slots, and the other brand in the other color slots, will they work?

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zigen

• Ragdd

• dMog

• Rmus

Top Posters In This Topic

Zigen

yes that will work

The different colored slots are for Dual channel RAM. each colored bank is set for dual channel (2 sticks per channel, dual channel will not function with 1 stick in each bank).

If the DIMM's are all PC6400 (DDR2 800) with similar latencies, I can't see why it would't work.

Although, if you have 2 dual channel kits, you should put X brand on Slot A1 and B1, and the Y brand in A2 and B2.

Ok thanks very much guys, I will set it up tomorrow and report the results!

Some motherboards like from Asrock have 2 pairs of coloured memory slots because they can use 2 different kind of RAM.

Like first 2 slots PC 133 Mhz SDRAM en de second pair of equal coloured slots DDR2.

Then you can't combine these 2 different RAM types on one motherboard.

Could you post brand and type of the motherboard.

You can see it in CPU-Z or other programs

Edited by Ragdd

Some motherboards like from Asrock have 2 pairs of coloured memory slots because they can use 2 different kind of RAM.

Like first 2 slots PC 133 Mhz SDRAM en de second pair of equal coloured slots DDR2.

It is a HP MicroTower Desktop PC that has an OEM MSI Motherboard which is barely supported by the MSI website.

It only uses DDR2 and is a dual channel Mobo. Anyway I tested for fun, I put 2 512mb 800 MHz DDR2 into the blue slots, then I put 1 1gb 667 Mhz into one of the black slots.

Boots up fine, everything works as per normal, but I think the memory will only run at 667mhz.

Hi

Memory runs on single channel normaly because of the 1 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 in the balck slot. (check with CPU-Z)

Also memory runs at 667 Mhz because of this 1 GB DDR2 667 Mhz in black slot. (also check with CPU-Z)

When you use different speed of RAM modules on same motherboard, the slowest speed is used for al RAM modules.

CPU is propably one of the C2D familly.

So you have to check what frontside bus the CPU have, e.g. 800 Mhz

And then you know the optimal RAM speed when you don't overclock.

e.g. CPU has FSB of 800 Mhz / 4 (quadpumped CPU) = base speed of 200 Mhz

DDR2 should be DDR2 400 Mhz /2 (double data rate RAM) = 200 Mhz

So here is the FSB same speed like the RAM and you get a 1:1 divider.

That's the most optimal situation because RAM en FSB works on the same speed and don't have to wait for each other.

But DDR2 400 Mhz is very hard to find and expensive.

So DDR2 667 Mhz is the beter option.

1:1 divider is only for C2D cpu's, doenst't count for the newer CPU's like Intel Lynnfield, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge & Haswell becauise the memory controller is not in the chipset (nord bridge) but already inside the CPU itself.

It is a HP MicroTower Desktop PC that has an OEM MSI Motherboard which is barely supported by the MSI website.

It only uses DDR2 and is a dual channel Mobo. Anyway I tested for fun, I put 2 512mb 800 MHz DDR2 into the blue slots, then I put 1 1gb 667 Mhz into one of the black slots.

Boots up fine, everything works as per normal, but I think the memory will only run at 667mhz.