Looking for the Best Replacement of Opera 12

x3r0

Hi all, as you know, Opera is no longer developing the Presto of Opera 12, it makes me since few of website aren't providing good support of it. I hate to throw it out, but the new Opera 18 still lacks of the original features. And don't start me with Firefox nor its "forks" like WaterFox, CyberFox, etc, while it's good, but still a lot of things need to be installed first to make it powerful, and those make it bloated (slow to start, it feels kinda hungry resources and not light). And since Opera 18 is also based on Chromium, please also don't mention Chrome and its "forks".

What I mostly adore in Opera 12 are:

1. The blazing fast speed of the browser, from starting, web loading, up to closing it.
  2. Pressing back and forward NEVER delay, looks like the page is save somewhere and whenever I press back/forward, Opera 12 just load it without any delay. Chromium based and Firefox based always has a short delay before they show the previous and next page, don't know why, but whenever I try to go back to few pages back, I have to wait the previous page load before I can press the back again, and showing just the previous page always takes time (even the address bar doesn't show it has back to previous page), if I keep pressing back without waiting the page loaded, I'll ended in empty page. It is never with Opera 12.
  3. The best popups blocker without any addon! Setting it on preferences to high will block every single popup and a light notification below appear, just with click it opens it. I know there's a lot of Ad blocker from extension to 3rd party programs, but I my case even have them install them still allow some popups to appear.
  4. Reopen recently closed tabs - all of it, Opera 18 have implemented it, but only just the last closed tab
  5. Good password manager - though perhaps 3rd party is needed to replace it, but the Opera 12 handle it just perfect.
  6. Adding our own custom search site easily. I've added several my custom search on website I use daily, and oh, ability to search a text with right click on and select desired custom search will be used to search the text.
  7. I really adore the View Bar on Opera 12 appearance. I've setup my Opera to not display images on default to reduce bandwidth usage and faster web load. Firefox has it developer extension also Opera 18, but in Firefox, you need to reload the pages if you want the images gone/appeared.

I really, really like Opera 12 lightweight and blazingly fast, but I have no choice but abandoning it since it won't be developed any further and might attract all kind of malware / attacks to it.

I've been using Opera since v5.0, Opera is an true pioneer and brings almost innovation on others, like speed dial, tabbed browsing, searching with search engine on the main address bar, to small features like right click on search bar and "Paste and Go", small button on upper right corner which show the main menu, etc...

So, is there any good web browser that can provide me with all those things I need above? I've using Cyberfox as my Opera 12 alternative to access web that aren't properly loaded, but I don't like having 2 different browser running. Perhaps some advices on good addons to replace those features? I'm kind a dizzy to find good addons on Firefox.

Thanks for the attention.

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Edgar.Elooo

• nanana1

• rseiler

• StarshipSpaceX

Top Posters In This Topic

For me there is no alternative to Opera 12, if you are a long time user of this software. Point-to-Point:

1. None that I know of. (For FF there is an add-on named FasterFox that claims(!) to make performance & network tweaks)

2. I had never noticed this, so can't say for sure. If maybe your pc isn't powered enough then Opera 12 could automatically use Opera Turbo, lowering the quality of pages but increasing the speed to access them. For me FF and Chrome do it just fine.
3. Without any add-on I know none. But the popular blockers of FF and Chrome do a great job, even if you don't tweak them.

4. I think FF by selecting the feature, but I ain't 100% sure.

5. FF and Chrome have a better password manager than Opera 12, at my opinion.

6. FF can do that easily, altho I ain't so sure it let you do a right-click search with your custom search engine. If it doesn't have I'm pretty sure there has to be an add-on for this.

7. not sure for this.

PS: these are just my opinions. I hope I may have helped you a bit.

Edited by smatrix

Also a longtime Opera 12 (and earlier) user here casting around for ideas. Maxthon is about all that I've come up with, and it's a definite possibility, but that it can't use Chrome extensions (last I looked) is a problem. Just a couple comments:

1) I haven't seen Opera do well in recent tests in almost any area that you can think of (thinking of tests done by places like Tom's Hardware and Lifehacker), so this isn't really anything to worry about for me. On average, whatever you move to will be a step up.

2) This is called History Navigation Mode. Set it to 3 for more consistent results than the default of 1, though note that even on 3, due to a bug/design flaw, if you open enough tabs you will no longer have fast history navigation (it also never works on some sites at all, like most https). The setting is controlled here: opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode. This not being in any other browser is a huge issue for me.

3) Pop-ups are a non-issue for me in any browser. Opera actually doesn't do as well in FF for me on some sites, like billionuploads.com, where Opera always misses two popups. Related to this is ad blocking, and the one to beat there is AB+ released for FF. Even the one for Chrome isn't as powerful. The one released for Opera is pretty sad. Urlfilter.ini is a dead-end since Fanboy dropped support.

5) Lastpass is the standard here. Opera's so-called Wand is dreadful and unchanged for years. I'm really surprised that you're listing this as a reason.

7) I'm not sure how you can get by without images. This, for me, is like disabling Javascript, though maybe not quite as bad. It cripples the Web.

Been using Opera for a l-o-n-g time. There's no viable replacement now in the offering. B)

I love the feature in your point 2 and have not found any other browser that does the forward/backward like what Opera 12 does, yet. :P

Been using Opera for a l-o-n-g time. There's no viable replacement now in the offering. B)

I love the feature in your point 2 and have not found any other browser that does the forward/backward like what Opera 12 does, yet. :P

I agre.

I've been using pcxFirefox 64 bit version, It's been the fastest Firefox I had and I tried all of them like you did..... It's portable so just got a extract it and away you go. I have around 40 add-ons and still not seeing any slow down but it does love to eat up the ram...

Edited by Bob1st

IR-REPLACEABLE..

V.12 was the best IMO. Fully agreed

What I mostly adore in Opera 12 are:

1. The blazing fast speed of the browser, from starting, web loading, up to closing it.
  2. Pressing back and forward NEVER delay, looks like the page is save somewhere and whenever I press back/forward, Opera 12 just load it without any delay. Chromium based and Firefox based always has a short delay before they show the previous and next page, don't know why, but whenever I try to go back to few pages back, I have to wait the previous page load before I can press the back again, and showing just the previous page always takes time (even the address bar doesn't show it has back to previous page), if I keep pressing back without waiting the page loaded, I'll ended in empty page. It is never with Opera 12.
  3. The best popups blocker without any addon! Setting it on preferences to high will block every single popup and a light notification below appear, just with click it opens it. I know there's a lot of Ad blocker from extension to 3rd party programs, but I my case even have them install them still allow some popups to appear.
  4. Reopen recently closed tabs - all of it, Opera 18 have implemented it, but only just the last closed tab
  5. Good password manager - though perhaps 3rd party is needed to replace it, but the Opera 12 handle it just perfect.
  6. Adding our own custom search site easily. I've added several my custom search on website I use daily, and oh, ability to search a text with right click on and select desired custom search will be used to search the text.
  7. I really adore the View Bar on Opera 12 appearance. I've setup my Opera to not display images on default to reduce bandwidth usage and faster web load. Firefox has it developer extension also Opera 18, but in Firefox, you need to reload the pages if you want the images gone/appeared.

Presto engine is the best.

IR-REPLACEABLE..

V.12 was the best IMO. Fully agreed

No. Opera 11.64 was best as with v12 they started removing feautres, tried seperate process but failed and finally switched to webkit.(firefox is on the same path and the result will be.......... :dunno: )

long time Opera user here too was in your shoes some time ago when version 15 was announced with reduced features including the exclusion of Opera link which did it for me. currently using Avant browser(2013 ultimate version), like maxthon it is a multi-engine browser(webkit, trident and gecko) a few observations after using this browser

-an interesting feature is the ability to specify the default engine to be used to load a specific website.

-extension support on each of the engines is spotty i.e trial and error to find which works and which don't.

-speedwise, can't complain, the back and forward buttons load pages fast enough.

-custom search engines are a go.

-what drew me to Opera in the first place, reopening previous pages automatically, is here in all its glory.

-can't comment about the inbuilt pop up blocker as i'm using a third party app for that and this applies to the password manager as well. if you want you can save your passwords, bookmarks, etc in the cloud just like link did.

-what is possibly the most impressive bit of this browser is the inbuilt download manager/accelerator. on some streaming sites(youtube is a no go unfortunately) a download button appears to indicate that the streaming media can be downloaded and on top of this it also has multi-part functionality where you can set up-to 12 threads per download.

that being said the browser is a bit rough around the edges, maxthon in comparison is very polished. but after using it for some months i do not know if i could go back to Opera, especially since it lost its individuality.

Edited by pastiche