Sysprep

CyberHaddad

Hello

I bring back a quiet old topic that of sysprep.

But I enjoy it really even if I messed things up many times.

So in the case of win xp pro sp3 what is the minimum I must do on the initial machine in order to perform sysprep on it then install it later on other different machines and motherboards?

Shall I download and install the whole universal xp drivers prior to sysprep or what exactly?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

• Replies 4
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CyberHaddad

• eurobyn

Top Posters In This Topic

when i make a universal xp preinstall then i install xp without drivers ! then i install all the updates first ! then i install all the needed software.

then i open the registry to remove the cpu information and drivers.then i sysprep this xp.(without restarting)

then i make a acronis off this install.

when you place this acronis on another machine it will work if harddisk controller is the same as the first one.(ide or ahci )

if this is not the same you will get a bsod 7b and this can be solved with a hiren's bootcd (registry - fix hdc)

then once started you just have to install the drivers needed for this pc or laptop.

hope it helps you to make a universal xp.

but remember xp is end off live.

Edited by eurobyn

when i make a universal xp preinstall then i install xp without drivers ! then i install all the updates first ! then i install all the needed software.

then i open the registry to remove the cpu information and drivers.then i sysprep this xp.(without restarting)

then i make a acronis off this install.

when you place this acronis on another machine it will work if harddisk controller is the same as the first one.(ide or ahci )

if this is not the same you will get a bsod 7b and this can be solved with a hiren's bootcd (registry - fix hdc)

then once started you just have to install the drivers needed for this pc or laptop.

hope it helps you to make a universal xp.

but remember xp is end off live.

Thanks eurobyn

There is a downloadable tweak, it's mainly a registery tweak that is applied to the initial machine prior to syspreping it. I used it but I noticed the cpu always at 100% of use. I think that there's probably an error inside that tweak. I may post it here if you want for discussion purposes.

As for installing the different software and updates then taking the final image by acronis or symantec ghost or clonezilla, that's not what I talk about. I would discuss just about the drivers and tweaks to prepare prior to sysprep in order to re-install the image later on any machine/mainboard.

As for XP being dead, well that's another topic but I think millions of machines are still running XP as OS :) :) :) not mine, but many of my clients often come with XP to re-install it or fix it.

just like i say window xp is end of live.

but you can solve this svchost 100% cpu use by using wsus offline updates !

when you use wsus offline updater for xp this problem is solved !

otherwise you could turn off windows update completely why this is the problem.

so first use wsus offline updater (run it after making it) then turn off windows updates completely

and what you do with youre registry tweaks ? i do this manual from within the registry.

Edited by eurobyn

No I don't use any manual tweaks myself, I just double clic on a .reg file and voila the tweaks enter directly to merge with the registery. But I think there's no error because I think such tweak (a group of settings) cause such 100% of cpu usage just on the initial machine because it wouldn't handle the tweak that is meant rather for other machines, and that is only by installing them later that they filter out what to install and what not during setup. But it's still an opinion.