Fist time SSD hard-drive customer.What shoud i know about SSD's ?

broascadilie

Hi guys.A couple of days a go i profited of black friday and bought my self a SSD drive.See more about the product here : http://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/v#sv300s3

I know some minor things about ssd's but not so much.

What will be my main purpouse in using this ? Well i wanna use this as installing the OS and some programs along with it.Besides this i have a mechanical 1 of 1TB wich i plan to use it as storage for all the other things.

Can u guys give me some tips or other info about and how should i use my ssd ? I plan on reinstalling my OS these days.How should i go with this ?

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mara-

• H4rDw4rE

• broascadilie

• Zigen

What size SSD did you get? Your SSD should be your system drive where you put your OS and all other important software. Other other non important stuff like games, pictures, videos can go to your HDD. Anyway from what i've seen, SSD is very fast compared to HDD, but very $$$ at the moment. Gratz on your purchase

60gb in size

You using a desktop or laptop? 60gb is actually quite little, considering that windows 8.1 and its related downloads take up well over 20gb. I guess you can't install any games in that drive! :lol:

One thing that is important to know is SSD (Solid State Drives) use memory chips where older hard drives use platters. There less prone to crashing since the platters can be easily nudged if you dont take care of the drive. There very fast and getting a size most people want is difficult there not cheap and there not in there teenage years yet (correct me if im wrong). I want one HORRIBLY. Im using two one terabyte hard drives. You can save some money and buy a hybrid gots platters and memory chips. This is a waste of time to me its like buying a car thats half internal cumbustion engine half electric (cept with hard drives theres not two power sources). If your going to buy a electric car or want one then you can get a complete electric car when they decide the oil industry isnt going to suffer (same with SSD's the oil industry wont suffer in that case)). I recommend you save your money for a full ssd not a half. Thats how much I know. Its sixty GBs dont put your main os on it use it for your backups. Most people want the best drive for there backups..

I have a 128Gb ssd that has windows on it and I will never use a platter hard drive again.The speed is impressive.Its about 6 months old now so I assume they are cheaper now(mine cost $1 a GB)Most manufactures have a programme for them to optimise them so they work either for speed or long life ect.Samsung magician for example.Also remember that it must not be defragged as it doesn't need it and can wear it out faster.

I have 2x SSD's Intel 330 180 GB for my C drive and an OCZ Vertex3 for my D drive 90GB

Using Win7 x64 plus a few Important programs come to 28GB on my C Drive (Intel SSD) - the remaining space is left for growth in the OS, mainly MS updates etc .

All other programs go to my D drive (OCZ SSD)

My E drive is an HDD by WD Blue 1 TB for storing my Images and exe programs in their respective folder so I know where to find everything .

The Speed of your SSD will be faster than HDD's but depending on your Mobo and Disk Controllers etc these are the main restrictions to your Speed .Use ATTO speed tester or other to check the speed of your SSD - my fastest reading is ~420mb/second (Read)

Hi guys.A couple of days a go i profited of black friday and bought my self a SSD drive.See more about the product here : http://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/v#sv300s3

I know some minor things about ssd's but not so much.

What will be my main purpouse in using this ? Well i wanna use this as installing the OS and some programs along with it.Besides this i have a mechanical 1 of 1TB wich i plan to use it as storage for all the other things.

Can u guys give me some tips or other info about and how should i use my ssd ? I plan on reinstalling my OS these days.How should i go with this ?

Edited by H4rDw4rE®

Well mara, can you share where did you find Win7 will optimize itself for SSD?

I have Intel SSD (520 Series, 120GB) and I'm sure that after install Windows7 there is nothing optimized.

Intel recommends using their toolbox which stop defragmenting, superfetch and turn on TRIM and it is not Intel only which recomends this steps.

About defragmentation, this is first time I heard that defragment would be good in anyway for SSD...

Don't get me wrong, I just didn't read it anywhere and if you post some information I think that would help us all to understand all about SSD's.

Regards

I have an SSD (Samsung) and can confirm that Windows 7 turns off defragmentation for the SSD on its own and does other optimization as well. Windows 7 also aligns the drive partitions when the WIndows 7 partition manager is used. Defragementation is not good for SSD....Do not do it.

Do use any drivers that came from the manufacturer though.

Install your system on the SSD then move all your personal folders to another drive.

Microsoft link for SSD and Windows 7....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2727880

Edited by Beamslider

I think Win7 began disabling defrag on it's own with SP1. With only 60gb you may want to increase the amount of over-provisioning a little. Doing this will help keep the SandForce controller nice and snappy. I recommend cutting your boot partition down to 50GB and just leave the rest unallocated and the controller will utilize the extra space automatically.

fwiw...some disk apps just consolidate free space and trigger trim even tho you told it to 'defrag'

Well mara, can you share where did you find Win7 will optimize itself for SSD?

I have Intel SSD (520 Series, 120GB) and I'm sure that after install Windows7 there is nothing optimized.

Intel recommends using their toolbox which stop defragmenting, superfetch and turn on TRIM and it is not Intel only which recomends this steps.

About defragmentation, this is first time I heard that defragment would be good in anyway for SSD...

Don't get me wrong, I just didn't read it anywhere and if you post some information I think that would help us all to understand all about SSD's.

Regards

Beamslider just explained. And you didn't understand me. SSD does not need defragmentation, but HDD still needs it. So if you have SSD and HDD, you should only disable defragmentation for SSD.

Cheers ;)

I use Samsung 128GB SSDs and in the slim bays 320gb 7200 HHDs. No game etc. I also confirm that Window7 and uppers do not need defrag.

Might be off topic: I will upgrade my SSDs to 250GB but not sure about Windows 8.1 activation. My 3 personal laptops activated with the same legit win 8.0 ProWMC keys then to Win8.1 Pro WMC. Can I use the same key to activate Windows 8.1 in the new SDDs, or as the key already used in 3 SSDs, no? I believe keys are locked in the BIOS kernel not SSD/HHDs, but not sure. Any idea guys? Thanks

Edit: Arguably HDD/SSD may be replaced certain a times (5 - many times?) w/o need of a new O/S activation key

http://superuser.com/questions/489360/will-windows-fail-activation-on-a-new-hard-drive-after-previous-hard-drive-faile

anyway, Thanks again.

Edited by Turk