Is my HDD dying?

insanedown58

I have had this drive for 6 years and it ran well. I checked the SMART diagnosis and it gave me 100 bad sectors in a threshold of 36. My drive is not making any bothersome noises but every other month I would be greeted by a loud sound as if all the fans ran at its top speed or like a motorcycle being ran while the brakes were on.

How long does this drive have in it before it dies? I can't get a new one until March 2014. Will it last? Crystal Disk Info gives me the Caution rating.

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• insanedown58

• J.D

• locoJoe

• Zigen

If your hard drive is shown signs of bad sectors then it is failing. Hard Drives can last as long as they last, depends really. But I would recommend getting another hard drive sooner rather than later and backing up any important files to a USB stick or External Hard Drive before it does fail.

I Use Crystal disk on computers I repair and always advise customers if it reads caution to backup and replace the drive ASAP.

Will it last till March 2014, well that's a risk your going to have to take, in my opinion it could probably fail at any time.

Is there a way to make it last longer?

Not really, whatever action you take it's a gamble - time to replace .Take off the HDD anything that's important to you and you don't want to lose - if you leave stuff on there and it goes 'tits-up', you only have yourself to blame :rolleyes:

Airstream_Bill

All the above recommendations I would follow asap. Good Luck and get your important stuff off that drive.

In that case... Are Hitachi drives good? They're going pretty cheap here. Should I take that as an immediate replacement or should I stretch it and get a Seagate or a Western Digital?

In that case... Are Hitachi drives good? They're going pretty cheap here. Should I take that as an immediate replacement or should I stretch it and get a Seagate or a Western Digital?

I recommend to you Western Digital, friends here in nsane has helped me selecting the best. i bought a Blue Edition recommended by @johnse7en and is very good, file transfer is very fast and the price was cheap. :)

Maybe these opinions can help you: http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/190543-solved-western-digital-blue-500-gb-wd5000aakx/

6 years and it ran well .woooo thats good.

is it or i think sure it will be Hitachi

az even mine hitachi is 5yrs old

Hitachi are best

Forgot seagate

WD is 50-50 mine 2 wd crash within year both where those blue and green edition.

i also have 1TB WD black Edition..but i rarely use it .. i made it as my back-up drive.

But when i use this HDD, just within 30min its temp get high...near to 45ºC az by hard disk sentinel .. but this never happen with my one of da 1tb barracuda seagates (which i dont have now) even hitachi wont go at the temp hardly till 40ºC.. mostly its 37ºC

Edited by truemate

I recommend to you Western Digital, friends here in nsane has helped me selecting the best. i bought a Blue Edition recommended by @johnse7en and is very good, file transfer is very fast and the price was cheap. :)

Maybe these opinions can help you: http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/190543-solved-western-digital-blue-500-gb-wd5000aakx/

I Like the WD Blue Edition, I have several and no problems - don't get the Green Edition

WDs scare me since I've seen Caviars die right before my eyes :lol: it narrows down to Seagate and Hitachi. Are there any notes that I should take with the Hitachi and Seagate drives?

Is there a way to make it last longer?

Basically ,you just have to reduce writing on the HDD

(I mean use it as reader only ! but that's does not make sense :lol:

WDs scare me since I've seen Caviars die right before my eyes :lol: it narrows down to Seagate and Hitachi. Are there any notes that I should take with the Hitachi and Seagate drives?

Mmmhh ...Go for for a SSHD :showoff: ...,take a look:

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/desktop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/#specs

Meantime, You can use the " bad " HD as a spare.. <_< .making daily-basis back-up job of their data...( risky, but You can use it till waiting a fatal hardware malfunction of the drive...)

Also you can try the vendor´s hard disk Low Level format tool and diagnostics ...to see if You have

a minimal chance to improve the health status of the " bad " drive.... :medic:

of Course, back-up first...!

Best luck , mate...!

Edited by el_espaniol

I'm currently scanning with HDD Regenerator. I'll be back with the results.

RESULTS:

No bad sectors from chkdsk /r and HDD Regenerator. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I'm beginning to think that these glitches are caused by a corrupted install.

What tools should I test with next?

Edited by insanedown58

RESULTS:

No bad sectors from chkdsk /r and HDD Regenerator. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I'm beginning to think that these glitches are caused by a corrupted install.

I would do a chkdsk /f anyway and also check your SATA connections to your Mobo and swap or replace the connections - I have found on a number of occasions the multi-plug power line to the drive gets warm and the plastic content becomes lose or a bad fit on to the HDD - power down first before checking connections (I have to keep spare SATA power cables in case this ^ happens although my Case and HD/SSD etc all run cool - just poor quality connectors)

Here are the ones that I am opting for:

Now before you ask, I chose 500GB because its the size I'm really comfortable with as I'm not the guy with a huge game/music/movie/program collection as I tend to either delete them after use or store them in to a disc or my flash drive :D

Seagate 3.5" 7200RPM HDD ST500DM002 - http://goo.gl/6Eiy9J

Hitachi 3.5" 7200RPM HDD HDS721050CLA662 - http://goo.gl/V8OMqP

Edited by insanedown58

Why would I go the Hitachi route?

Because.....Seagate don't seem reliable from what I read but my choice as said is WD Blue

Mmmhh ...Go for for a SSHD :showoff: ...,take a look:

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/desktop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/#specs

Meantime, You can use the " bad " HD as a spare.. <_< .making daily-basis back-up job of their data...( risky, but You can use it till waiting a fatal hardware malfunction of the drive...)

Also you can try the vendor´s hard disk Low Level format tool and diagnostics ...to see if You have

a minimal chance to improve the health status of the " bad " drive.... :medic:

of Course, back-up first...!

Best luck , mate...!

yes IMO WD drives suck. Ive had more than one fail too.

RESULTS:

Your drive(s) are probably OK if you have no bad sectors, atleast as far as physical damage goes. I would slow down on purchasing a new drive just yet and look into things alittle further first. You might just be throwing away $$$$$$$$$$

just poor quality connectors)

wow!!!

I would go for the Hitachi 3.5" 7200RPM HDD HDS721050CLA662 if you don't like WD - Seagate I read are troublesome

I have read many good and bad things about all brands of HDDs. From my personal experiance tho I love Seagate drives. I had two of them in my last rig, two identical drives with a RAID array. They never gave me one problem. I used that computer for 7+ yrs with no HDD issues. My daughter has an old P4 with a little 80gb Seagate drive and its been trouble free for almost 12 yrs now. My new laptop has two Seagate Momentum drives, Its almost 1yr old now, no problems.