Question regarding Wi-Fi

sanjoa

Hi, guys! How are you? I've read some tutorials on the net that say you can convert your computer into a virtual wi-fi router using Virtual Wi-Fi router or related soft. The thing is, I don't understand what kind of adapter do I need to make this work. This is for my brother whom have a Cablemodem internet connection (yep! in Argentina we use ye oldie technology) and ISP does not have in stock (he called several times) a wi-fi cablemodem. So I wanna make his computer a Virtual Wi-Fi router. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Views 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sanjoa

• robo

• Lysoform

• emerglines

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an Ad-Hoc which is turning you computer into wireless connector that can connect to another computer just by using the integrated wireless devices instead of LAN cables.

Here a tutorial : http://www.7tutorials.com/how-set-ad-hoc-wireless-computer-computer-network

Edited by emerglines

The desktop PC must have at least one Wireless Network card (PCI or PCIe)

and if it does not.....why not just buy a cheap [$15-$20] wireless router and connect the modem to it

Well in Canada/BC Shaw gives you a choice.modem or wi-fi router modem. I use the modem, having a coaxial cable into it and a network cable to the router. Telus, one our biggest isp's will only give you the combo and many wish you had the option to only have the modem so you can connect a better router than the one provided in their combo router/modem. Understand what I am trying to say?

As I've read (and understood) cablemodems cannot be connected to a router

if it is a network cable going into the desk computer from the modem, you would run that into the router. Then from one of the 4 ports of the router you run a network cable into the computer. That give the pc the connection and you then set up the router to be wi-fi