[Solved] Explorer.exe Stops Working Sometimes (Windows 8.1)

Matsuda

Hi friends, all fine? :)

Then, I'm here asking for your opinions about a problem I am experiencing with (Windows 8.1 x64), after November Patch Tuesday the process "Explorer.EXE" stops working sometimes, normally one time per day, (but not all time). then i really dont know why it happens because i have no installed new softwares after the last patch tuesday.

Yes, my system is clean, was my first action, scanned with : ESET, Malwarebytes, HitmanPro and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.

Yes, i'm searching in google, but find only a lot of "unnoficial solutions" relating to changes in registry, but nothing from a official source or a clear solution.
Here is the description of the error:

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.3.9600.16441, time stamp: 0x5265dec8
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000029c0fd8
Faulting process id: 0xdf8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cee48f2d42a4d4
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 109ebea2-50cf-11e3-827b-c86000c5f778
Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

This "Faulting module path: unknown" is what are strange, because in others examples found in google, i see this path related for third-party software the what you think are related for some compatibility problem, but in my case the path is: "unknown" :mellow:

Edited by Matsuda

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matsuda

• maximus

• tezza

• SlimRock

Top Posters In This Topic

Open an "elevated command prompt" (right click -> Run as administrator)

• In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
  • When the scan is complete, hopefully you will see all is ok.

NOTE: This may take a little bit to finish.

• If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 or more times to completely fix everything that it's able to.

Warning :doctor: :

• Be aware that if you have modified your system files as in theming explorer/system files, running sfc /scannow will revert the system files such as explorer.exe back to it's default state. Make the appropriate backups of your system files that you have modified for theming if you wish to save them before running sfc /scannow.

Open an "elevated command prompt" (right click -> Run as administrator)

• In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
  • When the scan is complete, hopefully you will see all is ok.

NOTE: This may take a little bit to finish.

• If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 or more times to completely fix everything that it's able to.

Warning :doctor: :

• Be aware that if you have modified your system files as in theming explorer/system files, running sfc /scannow will revert the system files such as explorer.exe back to it's default state. Make the appropriate backups of your system files that you have modified for theming if you wish to save them before running sfc /scannow.

Thanks for the suggestion, i have made that what you recommended, in windows mode, safe mode, boot mode, all. find some corrupted files, but says be not able for fix these files. ;)

I think there is no option, i will need to restore an system image.

Sorry to late response tezza, i stay a time out. thanks for the suggestion more I had restored the system image before you post, more I rescued here your suggestion if I need in the future. thanks. :console:

I Had exactly same problem with explorer.exe and I found out it was caused by iobit uninstaller 3. Uninstalled it and have had no crashes since then. I'm still using iobit uninstaller but portable version.