Old Computers you have revived/using and still working well

Zigen

Hey guys, just wondering if there are any people like me out there who hate to throw away their old desktops/laptops unless they are absolutely outdated to a point where even the junkyard guys don't want it. I do find it a challenge to revive old computers to make them continue working. So I've created this thread to see if anyone in Nsane also uses an old P4 desktop or similarly old(or older) computer like me. I have another Core 2 Duo E8400 but for sentimental reasons I still use my P4 and it's still working well. Here are my Computer specs. Please do not post specs of your latest i7 computers here :lol:

Intel Pentium P4 670 3.8 Ghz Tower Desktop

Gigabyte 8i915p Duo Pro Mainboard

2 x 1 Gb DDR2 Hynix 800 Mhz Memory

Nvidia GeForce GT230 1.5 Gb 192 Bit GPU

160 Gb Western Digital Sata Hard Drive

DVD RW Sata Drive

680W Power Supply

OS Windows 8.1 WMC 32 bit

Year purchased when new / Age : 2005, 8 years old

Comments : This over 8 year old system has served me immensely. I did upgrade the CPU from 3.0 to 3.8 Ghz, it cost me $10 from eBay. This P4 still works flawlessly and is very compatible with Win 8.1, doesn't seem slow at all.

Please tell me about your "old" systems :D

Edited by Zigen

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zigen

• dMog

• Guinness

• earlytv

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold it 2 years ago :lol:

Specs:

Processor: Intel Celeron 2.40 ghz

Ram: 2 GB DDR1

HDD: 120 GB

Graphics: ASUS AH3450 512 MB GDDR2

It was good back in 2006,07,08 :)

Edited by Lyon275

I sold it 2 years ago :lol:

Booo.... who knows if the guy who bought it from you already threw it away! I want to know about your current old computers still in use, not something you sold away hehe :lol:

Btw, are you that same Lyon poster on the Manchester United Redcafe forums?

I have an ancient, tiny notebook - celeron with maybe 512mb RAM - tiny little HDD and a loose screen connector with win2k that I use for just one program - and it works fine except that I have to fiddle with the screen to make it light !!

I've made several older boxes into great firewalls that I gave to friends with IPFire - it is totally not fussy about old h/w.

I gave one of my old boxes to another friend who now uses Linux.

He uses VMWare Player to run his parts catalog app on Win2k with that.

Alot of folks think that anything more than 6 months old needs to be tossed.

I disagree completely.

The way I see it - alot of h/w made around 10 years ago was made better and has less problems.

Some of that stuff runs cooler - and alot of it had no problems with capacitors rupturing.

I've always noticed that when things get faster they get more problems and more things slow them back down anyways.

So what if it takes a couple more seconds for an app to open ?!?

Why must everyone be so impatient and in a rush to get noplace ?!!

To me all this obsession with going faster & faster & faster is sort of like 'hurry up & die'.

No thanks - I'll pass on that idea.

Edited by smallhagrid

Alot of folks think that anything more than 6 months old needs to be tossed.

I disagree completely.

The way I see it - alot of h/w made around 10 years ago was made better and has less problems.

Some of that stuff runs cooler - and alot of it had no problems with capacitors rupturing.

I've always noticed that when things get faster they get more problems and more things slow them back down anyways.

Totally agree, the new computers and hardware nowadays get "outdated" really really fast. When you buy a i7 you might think you have the best, after a year or so they start launching who knows what i9 or whatever. In my opinion it's a waste of money trying to keep up with the best hardware and parts in computers. Unless you're a serious PC gamer who has a lot of $, there's no a lot of point changing hardware every 6 months.

Precisely stated:

Unless you're a serious PC gamer who has a lot of $, there's no a lot of point changing hardware every 6 months.

The way I see it - only those who MUST spend loads of $$$ or gamers NEED the latest OS & h/w.

Most regular folks just use their PCs to browse, email and make a document now and then - for such mundane things there is no hurry to constantly buy new stuff.

My previous PC was a dual core Athlon 5000 with 4GB and a 300GB HDD - the only reason I replaced it with one slightly newer was that it had a strange h/w problem and I already had another spare from my old office ready to go.

I fixed the problem, loaded XP on it - and gave it away to a guy who needed it badly to apply for work online.

He was delighted to get it as he had no car, no job and only a bicycle to get around on until he can find work.

AMD 2400+

A7N8X2.0

nVidia GeForce 6200

1 GB RAM

160 + 80 GB HDDs

Pioneer DVD/RW

Samsung SM795df CRT

Windows 7 32bit

Office 2010

Edited by wdm

1 GB RAM

Windows 7 32bit

How do you find Windows 7 32 bit with 1 gb ram? Before I upgraded to 2 gb I found win 7 with 1 gb quite slow & sluggish, after putting 1 more gb it's really good now.

took my toshiba note book with XP a pentium 4 and upgraded the ram and put in a bigger hard drive installed windows 7 on it last time i went to see them and microsoft office and a few other"free" goodies and gave it to a family i have known in cuba for quite a few years.. go back once a year to make sure sure all is well and it still humming along fine been 3 years now

In Dec 2005 I bought this monster(pics in spoiler), a MachV from Falcon NW Computer Systems: http://www.falcon-nw.com/why-falcon/falcon-features

A little later on I added a 2nd BFG 7800 gpu in SLI configuration. I also changed out the SB Audigy card for an X-Fi Platinum sound card. I added 2 more sticks of Corsair memory for a whopping 2gb total and bumped up the Silverstone PSU from 600w to an 850w model. This was AMD's 1st dual core processor and one mean mofo of a rig for its day. I used it until last year when I got my new laptop. I still have it upstairs in my closet. It is in pristine condition and packed away in the same box it came in. I have all the paperwork, manuals etc that came with it. Not everyone owns a Falcon and I am keeping it.

4j86lz.jpg
ifwdcm.jpg
2vb3iw6.jpg

I also have an 11yr old P4 with 512mb ram in working condition. I have used it in the past for a ventrillo server and also for a test rig. It is currently in my daughters room. She has her Ipod that never leaves her side but occasionally she will fire up the old P4 to play the Sims3.

I've had other computers too but they are long gone. I puchased my first computer in 1992...a used Intel 386 sx-33mhz. It came without a math co-processor but I added one to it. It came with DOS 5.0 but I installed Windows 3.1 on it. I still have the floppy disks somewhere. This thing was a big metal box. It weighed about 35lbs and I actually used it to stand on more than once to get to something up high. It was a brute of a machine.

Edited by locoJoe

In Dec 2005 I bought this monster(pics in spoiler), a MachV

Damn US$4000?! Were computers so expensive in the states in 2005? Good to see it's still running, you should fire it up and load win 8.1 hehe

I am a computer has passed for almost 2 years

my pc

AMD sempron 2.8ghz cache 1mb

RAM corsair DDR3 4GB

GA-78LMT-S2P

Hard Disk 500GB

systeam : Windows 8.1 pro x64

every desk top i ever had (other than mu first computer with windows 95 on it ) was made by myself..just bought an empty box and filled it up with what i wanted...have new notebook now and will stick with them form now on...just too bad we cannot build our own notebooks

Edited by dMog

DELL Optiplex GX280 SFF , with XP SP2 -> upgraded to Windows 8.1

- proc. Pentium 4 2.80 GHz with Hyper-Threading

- RAM = 256 MB -> upgraded to 2 GB , PC6400

- HDD = 40 GB -> upgraded to 160 GB

Edited by AlienForce1

I wonder if anyone tried to load windows 8.1 on a pentium 3!

• 3 weeks later...

Acer travelmate 5320

2gb ddr2 ram

120gb hd

intel mobile 965 express chipset

intel celeron cpu 560 2.13ghz

running windows 8 x86 perfectly fine will be running 8.1 x64 soon.

its roughly 8-10 years old.

Edited by Sonar

Nice topic! ;)

I disassembled one of my rigs a year ago. I´ve had it for 7/8 years running Windows XP.

I kinda miss it and I think it fits the Topic description perfectly: :P

- AMD Sempron 2600+ (Thoroughbred B / Skt 462)

- THERMALTAKE Volcano 7+

- ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe R2.0

- KINGSTON 2x256 MB DDR 400

- ALBATRON GeForce FX 5700 128MB

- CREATIVE Audigy 2 ZS

- SEAGATE Barracuda 80GB

- PIONEER DVR-A07 XLA

- THERMALTAKE PurePower 450W

Im a little envious of those guys who have the latest i7 with those 6 cores. However I have no need for such computers and it will probably be a waste of $ for me as I don't need such powerful machines.

Im a little envious of those guys who have the latest i7 with those 6 cores. However I have no need for such computers and it will probably be a waste of $ for me as I don't need such powerful machines.

Don´t be. If you have no practical need for a Core i7, if you do not take advantage of it´s raw power, then yes, it will progressively become a waste of money. ;)