CPU upgrade suggestion

rudrax

A friend of me has a old desktop PC running Intel Celeron D311 2.66 Ghz, which is damn bad. You can't even watch a 720p .mkv video properly. Now he wants to upgrade the CPU to a better one which will at least play video upto 1080p flawlessly.

Socket is LGA 775 and has 1GB of DDR (not DDR2 or DDR3).

He wants a better CPU for least possible price.

So suggestions?

Edited by rudrax

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudrax

• jackieo

• eurobyn

• calguyhunk

You have to mention the motherboard to get a correct recommendation. Socket alone is not enough. :nono:

In general, for a Socket 775 setup, the best possible option would have been the Q8400 for ~6.5K had you asked a few months earlier, but now it's most probably gone out of production :(

So you're at best stuck with the E5700/5800 which will cost 'bout ~4K-4.5K. I don't even know if those are still in production though :(

But again, need the exact make and model of your mobo before I can guarantee TDP, Voltage and NB chipset compatibility. :)

EDIT: Apparently, the Q8400 is still available, but the price has gone up phenomenally.

30ho8k9.jpg

Edited by calguyhunk

Thanks for the head up.

Well, according to him, he doesn't need best CPU for LGA 775 but needs a CPU that can render 1080p video flawlessly and the price should be the least possible.

you can get a core 2 duo for cheap on ebay these days and it should be good enough.. if he's into a quad core i would advice AGAINST getting a core 2 quad...seriously!. if you need more power so badly then go ahead and buy an i5 or i7. unfortunately atm there is no AMD equivalent to that in terms of performance vs cost.

also consider getting a discrete GPU. ANY system can benefit greatly from having the graphics proccessed separately.. not just gamers

you can get a core 2 duo for cheap on ebay these days and it should be good enough.. if he's into a quad core i would advice AGAINST getting a core 2 quad...seriously!. if you need more power so badly then go ahead and buy an i5 or i7. unfortunately atm there is no AMD equivalent to that in terms of performance vs cost.

also consider getting a discrete GPU. ANY system can benefit greatly from having the graphics proccessed separately.. not just gamers

Would have been great if you had considered the description too, not only the title.

what will you do with this o so fast cpu (if you only have 1 gb ram ?) and what videocard do you have ? i hope not the onboard vga.

without a decent vga card and more ram this upgrade of the cpu would not help.

he will waste money

I would recommend an upgrade, maybe AMD's FM2 socket mobo and an AMD FM2 APU (which integrates a good combination of cpu+gpu), and 4GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM

for example:

Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35http://www.msi.com/product/mb/FM2-A75MA-E35.html#/?div=DetailAPU (CPU+GPU): AMD A8-5600K (AD560KWOHJBOX)http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopAPUDetail.aspx?id=46RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 (KHX16C9B1R/4)http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/PartsInfo.asp?root=&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KHX16C9B1R/4

This is just an example. There are many other combinations, including both Intel and AMD platforms.

what will you do with this o so fast cpu (if you only have 1 gb ram ?) and what videocard do you have ? i hope not the onboard vga.

I know it's hard to live with 1GB RAM but his mobo doesn't support more. The video controller is a VIA/S3G Unichrome pro IGP with 64MB vRAM. The CPU remains above 95% when you render a HD .mkv it becomes unwatchable with slow framrates.

he will waste money

I would recommend an upgrade, maybe AMD's FM2 socket mobo and an AMD FM2 APU (which integrates a good combination of cpu+gpu), and 4GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM

for example:

Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35http://www.msi.com/product/mb/FM2-A75MA-E35.html#/?div=DetailAPU (CPU+GPU): AMD A8-5600K (AD560KWOHJBOX)http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopAPUDetail.aspx?id=46RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 (KHX16C9B1R/4)http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/PartsInfo.asp?root=&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KHX16C9B1R/4 

This is just an example. There are many other combinations, including both Intel and AMD platforms.

Thanks for your hard work mate. But he can't afford all these at the moment. So he just wanted to know if there is something that can be done by getting a better CPU. Edited by rudrax

Thanks for the head up.

Well, according to him, he doesn't need best CPU for LGA 775 but needs a CPU that can render 1080p video flawlessly and the price should be the least possible.

I wasn't suggesting "the best". That would be the QX9770 and that would have cost you upwards of 15K if available LOL. To be honest, I'm not suggesting anything at all without knowing the mobo. Not all CPU's are compatible with all boards just 'cuz they seem to have the same socket. ;)

You'll get your board model from Yamicsoft (I believe that you have that installed already) Run Yamicsoft>System Info>Mainboard. If you don't already have that, D/L and run (don't have to install) a program called CPU-Z. Go to the "Mainboard" tab. That will give you the name of your board :)

I also suggest him to wait and collect his money to upgrade to a much better system, because buying a new CPU in this range with this mainboard and RAM is only waste of money in my opinion, better to wait and collect his money and buy a AMD APU to both minimizing price and getting desired performance from it. ;)

Regards,

Nima

I know it's hard to live with 1GB RAM but his mobo doesn't support more. The video controller is a VIA/S3G Unichrome pro IGP with 64MB vRAM. The CPU remains above 95% when you render a HD .mkv it becomes unwatchable with slow framerates

ViaS3 is motherboard GPU? ( as in no AGP or PCIe dedicated Video card?- meaning there is no video card in the agp or PCIe connector, and the monitor is plugged directly into the motherboard VGA socket?) if so, THAT is your bottleneck, not the cpu. ( altho the cpu COULD be a contributing factor but not completely)

you are running on the mainboard graphics which 64 Megs of Vram is weak . THAT is your bottleneck. ( and then are the drivers up to date? it might not matter, thats a weak VGA setup i wouldn't even try to play Diablo on it, and thats from the Win98 era)

once again we need the motherboard specs before we can make a determination - but generally speaking ( im a gamer, and built my PC in 2005 -

CPU- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (OC'd to 2.4 Ghz) running on a Abit AV8 Mobo with WD Raptor SATA HDD, 1 gig of DDR Dual Channel RAM, with Nvidia 7800GS AGP Video card with 256 MB video memory, plays video no problem)

go buy a decent video card they should be dirt cheap. check Ebay maybe you can get a bargain

Edited by jackieo

See if you can get a decent video card for cheap on ebay if he's got PCI or even better pci-e or some other variety high speed slot on his mboard.

God, the VIA Onboard, the 1GB RAM limit.. it feels so familiar to me.. :lol: anyways, my old Pentium D 925 did rendering just fine (I did my first couple 1080p vids from Movie Maker from there) but I'd highly recommend a Core 2 Duo or a Core 2 Extreme (or whatever its called). If you can't find it, then I'd starting looking back at the Pentium D family with the 945, 950 and the 960 (recommended). For the graphics I had a good ATI card but I forgot the name but then again, I've never rendered with it and have been rendering with the built-in 82865G on my Asus mobo (R.I.P) which did run at only 64MB as well.

Now, I'd recommend he upgrade to a newer platform and I'd suggest getting my setup which was built with only $115. Its an AMD A4-5300 (Trinity) and a mobo from Gigabyte (GA-F2A75M-HD2) although I'd suggest taking something better like an A85X to make it more upgradeable down the road. My APU throws 1080p rendering fine but not the fastest definitely.

I know it's hard to live with 1GB RAM but his mobo doesn't support more. The video controller is a VIA/S3G Unichrome pro IGP with 64MB vRAM. The CPU remains above 95% when you render a HD .mkv it becomes unwatchable with slow framrates.

rendering video? try a lower bit rate, and HD minimum frame size is 1280x720 720p try that - Rendering video IS CPU INTENSIVE - yes correct and it WILL comsume 100% of the cpu during rendering no matter what cpu you have, its just that a BETER cpu will render it FASTER

Watching video is GPU intensive (video card in your case mainboard GPU), and if youre trying to watch ANY HD = fail 64 meg video is epic fail

Edited by jackieo

I don't know but i just don't like upgrading individual components on my pc -

I don't know but i just don't like upgrading individual components on my pc -

replacing a video card is not a big deal.

mmmh! i see