Removing BIOS password from Dell laptop

Whoopenstein

I was trying to help someone with removing the password from a Dell Inspirion B130 laptop today. Her 10 year old kid put it on there by playing around. From what they were saying I thought it was a Windows 7 password - no problem with that (ophcrk live cd). But it turned out to be BIOS password protected. You can't even boot the thing without a password.

From what I've read, the password is stored on a eeprom chip, so disconnecting the cmos battery will do nothing.

I've found directions for shorting a couple pins on this chip at power up will clear it, but that would probably involve complete dissasembly to access it.

I have also found some sites that for a fee - if you provide them with the service tag number they will give you a master password.

These guys must have some kind of list or a program to get this password.

Does anyone know where to get this?

• Replies 18
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Whoopenstein

• nguyenanhdung1968

• sanjoa

• speedy57

1. Turn the Inspiron off. Unplug all connectors and remove the battery.

2. Open the display to its full extension so that it lies flat.

3. Insert a pry tool underneath the right side of the hinge cover (between the keyboard and display) and gently pry the hinge cover loose.

4. Unscrew the two screws located at the top of the keyboard. Lift the keyboard and disconnect the keyboard ribbon cable from the computer. Set the keyboard aside.

5. Insert the pry tool underneath the battery and gently remove it. When removed, the CMOS automatically resets. If desired, insert a fresh battery.

6. Reverse the previous steps for reassembly.

Edited by sanjoa

depending on what kind of password is set removing the cmos battery does not always remove it. under most cases it will and is what should be tried first. the next step i would try (been in the repair world for A LONG time) would be to clear the cmos and then attempt a re-flash if that does not work there are other steps you can try but require more work and sometimes pulling the bios chip. will send you a pm.

I don't have the laptop right now. I'll have to get the woman to let me take it home. She's pretty poor so I'm just trying to help her out. I've torn a few laptops down to the bar bones before so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'll try the cmos clear routine but I'm pretty sure it's stored on a eeprom chip - which don't lose data when power is lost.

I'm hoping someone had a list of master passwords for Dell.

I fixed it by removing the small CR2032 in the laptop.

First look online for some clue's where this battery is situated (technical manual, pictures, Youtube).

Remove the poweradapter + "normal" battery.

Unscrew the laptop so you can reach the CR2032 battery.

Remove this battery for 10 seconds en re-insert it.

Assembly laptop and put poweradapter back in and the BIOS pasword is removed.

There are also some master passwords for BIOS and some BootCD's that can remove them.

http://www.technibble.com/how-to-bypass-or-remove-a-bios-password/

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000451.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY0wZMqNzmw

Edited by Ragdd

I found the service manual for this laptop so I guess the first thing I'll try is to remove the cmos battery. If that doesn't work, the only other options are to re-flash the bios or find and replace or erase the eeprom chip (if it has one).

Thanks, but that program won't help. The laptop bios refuses to boot into Windows without a password. You can't even go into bios to change the boot order without a password. You can't run any programs.

All you should do:
  1. Download ISO files.
  2. Burn the ISO file to CD
  3. Insert the CD you burned and reboot your computer. The software then automatically runs.
  4. Use PC CMOS Cleaner to finish the job. (see User-Guide of PC CMOS Cleaner)

Thanks, but that program won't help. The laptop bios refuses to boot into Windows without a password. You can't even go into bios to change the boot order without a password. You can't run any programs.

All you should do:
  1. Download ISO files.
  2. Burn the ISO file to CD
  3. Insert the CD you burned and reboot your computer. The software then automatically runs.
  4. Use PC CMOS Cleaner to finish the job. (see User-Guide of PC CMOS Cleaner)

Won't work. The bios halts the computer at power up. It stops before it even initializes the drives.

Even on the PC CMOS Cleaner website has a bit of irony in their directions: "Set the BIOS to boot from CD." How are you going to do that when you don't have the password?

Edited by Whoopenstein

I have to keep saying you CAN NOT boot from ANY device on this laptop without entering the bios password. So all of the iso's will not help.

I did find a program that might help though. It generates keys from the displayed service/asset tag.

http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/6252528/DELL_595B_%28Bios_Master_Key_Generator%29_-_DJB3000.rar

(torrent)

or a different version:

http://depositfiles.com/files/gxwzrirlx

Just thought I would update: The above programs worked like a charm. Had to unlock the system first, then the hard drive.

Edited by Whoopenstein

• 2 years later...
nguyenanhdung1968

Any one help me removing BIOS password from Dell Latitude E6530 : servicetag: 2C0QHX1 with system number: 2C0QHX1-1D3B? Thanks.

Edited by nguyenanhdung1968

nguyenanhdung1968
On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 1:07 PM, nguyenanhdung1968 said:

I tried these links but could not. Any one help me to download this software: "Dell Portable BIOS and Diags Rev A34". Thanks.

Edited by nguyenanhdung1968

nguyenanhdung1968
On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 2:16 PM, software182 said:

I tried these links but could not. You also do any other way or not. Because I do not remember the password so I can not update the new BIOS of the system.