Suggest Please Best Security Softwares

Rok

O.K. Windows 8.1 completed two weeks of installation here, and it is running pretty well. On this new box, I want to use the best softwares for every part of computing. Can you suggest the Best security software for Windows 8.1 64-bit that include a Firewall, Antivirus, Antimalware, and Anti-spyware?

I am looking for the the best performace (i.e. no slowness) and security features from the software.

At the moment, I'm running Norton 360 Premier on the Windows 8.1 box.

Experts here, please adivse.

Edited by Rok

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rok

• shasi

• ank91

• Turk

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait man, lets first see if OS is secure itself and then try to enhance its security.

I as well have 8.1 but only as one of many OSes, and only for fun.

As for best anti-virus we already have topic.

Although I'd argue that anti-malware is more robust name since malicious software includes viruses, spyware, keyloggers, rootkits and basically everything that is malicious, and would be more appropriate name for topic.

To anser your question I have no idea what is secure or not on Windows 8.1....,

however I noticed leaks in Windows firewall regarding Windows Store Broker and few more modules which support metro apps.

There are 2 ways to fix this, first one is to install 3rd party firewall with hips and second one is to access root privileges and disable file execution of suspicious modules for all users. Also 8.1 communicates with web way too much, this is fixed blocking domains in firewall.

What MS did was rooted even more Metro on Windows 8.1 and also messed Window Explorer which, was up until now, perfect.

Keep in mind that Windows 8.x has the windows defender antivirus software built into the OS. You can of course replace it with a different AV of your choice if you feel it is not secure enough.

As far as the fastest, and best performance. I would encourage you to do some research on your own using some of the following types of sites.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

http://www.av-test.org/en/

Bitdefender seems to have a really good balance of protection, performance, & usability under Win8

I personally use ESET NOD32 on my personal systems, which has worked very well for me.

Take a look at my signature...AppGuard and Sandboxie..very light and provides excellent protection...

Edited by NSFfan

I Think Kaspersky is the best AV out there.

KAV 2014 is lightning fast, at least this is what I am experiencing. I Know it was very heavy, but, believe it or not, 2014 is almost as light as Eset NOD 32 AV!!! :wtf:

And, before someone says that I have an ultra modern PC, here it goes: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300, ATI Radeon HD 7770, 8GB RAM DDR3, 7200 RPM Sata 2 Hard Disk Drive...

The best kept secret about security software is that they're all pretty much the same when it comes to effectiveness, as long as they receive automatic updates on a regular basis. Use whichever security software you're most comfortable with.

Personally, I use Windows Defender and Windows Firewall (they come with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1). Windows Defender stays out of my way, it's light on resources, and it receives regular program and definition updates automatically so I don't have to be bothered with it. Some security programs are like children and constantly want your attention with unimportant alerts, install invasive software to your browsers, etc. Some security programs are also real resource hogs. Finally, some security programs receive regular definition updates but require manual intervention for program updates. I would also never use paid security software. The free stuff is just as good, and you don't have to worry about your license expiring and losing security support.

You can just turn on Windows Defender and never have to worry about it again, but again, use whichever you're comfortable with.

Bitdefender as AV.

Shadow Defender/ Sandboxie when needed.

RollBack Rx to save you from disaster if you do not have an external drive/DVD-ROM to make a backup.

Edited by AlexCross

Virus on a PC is not dangerous to use a strong antivirus

Strong antivirus is more dangerous than any popular virus

The best antivirus is your brain + a light antivirus :D

• 1 month later...

Rok, you're ok now. Norton is as good or better than any other internet security out there. Just keep W8.1 patched with all important updates. As someone else mentioned, AppGuard would be a great complement to your setup (too bad there's no fix for it)!

appzter