• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rok

• geeteam

• Chancer

• spudboy

Top Posters In This Topic

you can try advanced codecs for windows 7 and 8 - am sure windows 8.1 version will be released soon, yet still it support windows 8.1 too

you can try advanced codecs for windows 7 and 8 - am sure windows 8.1 version will be released soon, yet still it support windows 8.1 too

Is it a paid software? I am looking for it in front page. And, what about K-Lite Codec Pack 10.1.0.

Edited by Rok

Is it a paid software? I am looking for it in front page. And, what about K-Lite Codec Pack 10.1.0.

Naa its not a paid software - its free --

+1 K-Lite Codec Pack 10.1.0

+1 K-Lite Codec Pack 10.1.0

Link here -advanced codes-

Link here -advanced codes-

Downloading and reading the installation intstructions. Seems slightly troubling, involves lots of configs and things to remember. K-Lite Codec Pack 10.1.0, is just install and forget kind of thing. But giving it a try first, as it is designed for WMC.

Edited by Rok

Just curious why a codec pack is needed in the first place. It's better to use a player that doesn't require any packs than to litter your system with a pack.

There are some files that a player needs codecs not native to an OS to play

Which files? There are none that I'm aware of, unless someone is encoding audio or video in some rare format that no one else uses or cares about.

Edited by spudboy

If you need codec pack especially for watching video, then take a look at nsane.down

Codecs & Converters
From there you can get: Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP), K-Lite Codec Pack

Media Players
From there you can get: Media Player Classic Home Cinema, VLC (VideoLAN) Media Player, Daum PotPlayer (You don't really need extra external codecs for it)

*sorry off-topic

IMHO, you don't really need Advanced Codecs because K-Lite Codec Pack can handle them better :)

anyway I use CCCP because it's the most simple codec pack I've ever used ^_^

Edited by rach

I believe the mkv format requires a codec to play correctly in native Windows. I have also had avi files that would not play without a codec.

I use Sharks codecs

If you need codec pack especially for watching video, then take a look at nsane.down

Codecs & Converters

From there you can get: Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP), K-Lite Codec Pack

Media Players

From there you can get: Media Player Classic Home Cinema, VLC (VideoLAN) Media Player, Daum PotPlayer (You don't really need extra external codecs for it)

*sorry off-topic

IMHO, you don't really need Advanced Codecs because K-Lite Codec Pack can handle them better :)

anyway I use CCCP because it's the most simple codec pack I've ever used ^_^

Yest, it is true, .avi, .mkv and some other video formats won't play without having Codecs Pack installed. I was earlier using K-Lite on Win 98 and up to Windows 7. Now, that MS has changed a lot with Windows 8.1, I wanted to try out the best.

Thanks, will go with K-Lite again at the moment with VLC MP. If any issue will then switch to CCCP ==>> Advanced Codecs.