GPU reflow - should I do it?

rudrax

So the update is, my GPU is died.

Symptoms: power button is ON. No display in built-in monitor. No display in an external monitor when connected to it.

I googled this situation and the last thing I found is to do a hardware reflow on the GPU.

What is GPU reflow?

Ans:- It's the process to revive the GPU by means of an heat gun keeping it a inch above the GPU and at 300C temp for 1min.

Is there any experienced user in the community who have done this process successfully?

What are the chances?

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudrax

• H4rDw4rE

• mazigh

• Whoopenstein

Symptoms: power button is ON. No display in built-in monitor. No display in an external monitor when connected to it.

I googled this situation and the last thing I found is to do a hardware reflow on the GPU.

What is GPU reflow?

Ans:- It's the process to revive the GPU by means of an heat gun keeping it a inch above the GPU and at 300C temp for 1min.

Is there any experienced user in the community who have done this process successfully?

What are the chances?

I already faced this, I went to a PCs repairer, revived my GPU.. but told me that my GPU can die anytime, advised me to buy an external fan to put my notebook on it so I did, and of course I installed SpeedFan to monitor internal fan and of course check from time to time if there is any overheating :)

PS:

1-when you gonna revive your GPU, Never use GPU acceleration (Hardware acceleration), if you have NVIDIA GPU open Nvidia control panel >Set PhysX Configuration > choose CPU and apply

2- Never play games, they overheat the GPU and also any program that take a lot of GPU power like Google Earth..

3- try to disable GPU acceletaion from your Browsers too

I followed this and I am still using my notebook since a year even if the repairer gave me 6 months max :)

Edited by mazigh

Then the ultimate solution is to get a new mobo. Damn, mobile mobos are very costely.

One more thing, I have heard that, GPUs can go upto 105C and my GPU never went over 80C.

By saying the term 'died', I didn't mean that my GPU went unusable. I may be disoldered from the mobo in some contacts (there may be a microscopic gap).

So is there any way to resolder that properly if really that had happened?

Edited by rudrax

One more thing, I have heard that, GPUs can go upto 105C and my GPU never went over 80C.

By saying the term 'died', I didn't mean that my GPU went unusable. I may be disoldered from the mobo in some contacts (there may be a microscopic gap).

So is there any way to resolder that properly if really that had happened?

Sorry I couldn't understand what does mean the words "disoldered" and "resolder" (my English is not that good), But I can tell you that if you have a notebook it's mostly irreplaceable GPU (you can't replace it with another GPU) but if you have a Desktop PC you still can find a new GPU to replace the dying one

Those two words are not valid. They may not exist in th dictionary too. But the word 'solder' exists. So I made my own word from it.

Dis-solder: remove the solder.

Re-solder: applying the solder again.

Anyway, thanks for your head up mate :)

This is along the sames lines as the RROD fix for 360's, using a heat gun over the GPU

What you're essentially hoping to achieve is re-melt the existing solder on the underside of the GPU and hope that it trickles back into the connections, thus re-affirming the connections with it.

It's a delicate process as being too close to the GPU can have the adverse effect of frying it, and rendering it useless anyway.

Edited by Dodel

2Old2Remember

What is GPU reflow?

What are the chances?

I have done this myself but the process does not last for long. And if you do it a second time after the gpu dies again then it dies even faster the second time around. so best bet is to get a new laptop. (i am asuming is a laptop you have because you use the words "No display in built-in monitor.") Suggestion: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COR29XI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17MC6HOH9AVE6 is an excellent buy. :)

I agree. We fix computers for a living and no longer offer reflows unless it's a dire situation.

Not only do they usually not hold for very long, if you order a replacement motherboard, they are often refurbished from having the same problem, and can die easily.

I don't know about your laptop specs, but you should consider search for mobo on eBay or similar sites where you can get second hand mobos for good price.
Fow new laptop: I have never think about laptop with discrete graphics...why?
Well laptop is not gaming machine.
If we understood that, than we can make decision what laptop should do.
For HD movies integrated graphics is more than enough (Intel HD 3000, 4000 etc) and battery last long.
And years behind me shows that percent of dead laptop with intel graphics is very low.
Does anyone can remember how many HP DV6000 and similar live for long time (almost every of them died in 2-3 years)?
About reflow process...well it is possible, but it must be done by someone who has equipment and be experienced to do that complicated job...
In UK there is a guy (ebay know him:D ) who do that for USD60, but transport to his office and back to you would cost almost as new mobo, so...maybe you should try to find another mobo or sell that laptop as spare parts and find another laptop for you.
Regards.

EDIT: Sorry for mispelling.

Hope this is not forbiden:

Reflow:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motherboard-Repair-Service-Reflow-GPU-Install-Copper-Shim-Paste-/230772703028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb1fff34

Reball:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motherboard-GPU-REBALL-Repair-Service-Laptop-Desktop-/230773043087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb252f8f

If you still want that mobo repaired then maybe you should consider reball (which is more complicated but often fix problem far better than reflow)

Sorry again for errors in my message.

Can you post what your laptop model is?

Edited by H4rDw4rE®

Reflow - temporary solution if ever succeeded

Reballing - much better results if done correctly with good supplies

Both do a temp stress on the gpu and mb, that shortens chip lifetime

Do it, save your data, sell it, buy a dual GPU laptop :)

GL

Isn't VPCEB24EN a dual GPU notebook? HM55 is an express chipset and I've heard that express chipset possesses its own graphics.

Isn't VPCEB24EN a dual GPU notebook? HM55 is an express chipset and I've heard that express chipset possesses its own graphics.

Well, it is tricky answer in some way.

Do you have two graphics in device manager before laptop died (intel and AMD) or hardware/hotkey switch on laptop?

If not, Sony didn't decide to implement that feature.

Even if they implement integrated and discrete graphics they often use both of them, intel is used to process not too heavy gpu tasks and as soon as it comes to highly gpu demanding task laptop automatically swith to discrete card.

Where can you "tell" laptop when to switch between graphics if you are don't have switch or option in bios?

Many laptop manufacturer don't allow manualy switching between graphics and on Sony site

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vpceb24en

I don't see any option about graphics (if this is right model) switching because this laptop only have ATI graphic card.

To be honest, even if it has two graphics when it comes to graphic card failure I don't think that it is to trivial task to exclude only one card and use another, we are talking about electronics on same motherboard, use same power supply etc...

Few month ago I replaced mobo on Sony laptop (friend of mine) and after that everything works well...

Sorry for my poor English and errors in text.

Regards

EDIT:

If you still wan't to repair your laptop you can check on ebay for new board.

On link below you can see approximate prices and where you should look for right marking and exact model part number for your motherboard.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SONY-Vaio-VPCEB3AFX-BJ-motherboard-new-genuine-/160497468776?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item255e650568

Hope this helps.

Edited by H4rDw4rE®

Oh yeah just remembered. There were 2 option for graphics card selection in the device manager. One is the chipset's one and another was the ATI. On selecting the chipset's one, all GPU load is transferred to it and system makes noise as the chipset's heat sink isn't connected to the fan for dissipation.

rudax, like I said before, if you're going to heat gun it, you need flux. If you have ever tried to re-heat solder without adding flux you would know what I mean. It becomes dry and granular looking. The chances that it will work are slim. You can buy no-clean flux from ebay for less than $3.50 U.S. Don't get the thick stuff - you need the thin flux that can be squirted under the BGA. It would also be advisable to mask around the BGA with Kapton tape $5.00-$6.00). This will prevent components from blowing off from the heat gun. I would also turn the board over and tape the opposite side so stuff doesn't fall off.

@whoopenstein, thanks for the suggestion. I'm gonna have it done by professional. Then sell it and buy a new one.

@whoopenstein, thanks for the suggestion. I'm gonna have it done by profe ssional. Then sell it and buy a new one.

Sounds like a good idea. I was going to suggest to practice on a scrap circuit board first. That way you learn how far and how long to hold the heat gun to the board.